Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Waterford still safe at night?

• 13-07-2018 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Just heard the awful news that the chap who was assaulted there last week died today.

Makes me concerned about going out on the town.

We really need to stop these incidents from happening. We are a purple flag city too! Remember?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

That's terrible news,RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Whats happening to the place

Very sad my prayers go to his family and friends.

RIP but lets not get carried away here, one incident doesn't mean the town is "doing to the dogs". Waterford is a relatively safe city compared to other cities and unfortunately these incidents happen everywhere.

RIP but lets not get carried away here, one incident doesn't mean the town is "doing to the dogs". Waterford is a relatively safe city compared to other cities and unfortunately these incidents happen everywhere.

True but should not be happening in the first place. A young gifted musician gone because of a cowardly attack by someone prob under the influence of god knows what

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

This is not just one isolated If you're trying to present it like so. It's a number of incidents that have happened in the area. One being a high profile murder that took place on Newsteet. Also someone stabbed in the head about two months ago outside Apache.

There's a failure in preventing assaults from happening in the John Street/Manor area. There should have been guards on the beat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It was a sh!thole between 97 and 02 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

About as safe as anywhere in Ireland, fella stabbed to death in mallow town couple days ago, limerick man stabbed few days before that..regular occurrence all over the country, seems to be different place every week. Dublin shootings every second weekend.Mallow, Waterford, Kilkenny, Dublin, wherever....younger lads need to realise consequences of their actions and the level of violence they carry out....that's not happening...justice system a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Max Powers wrote: »
    About as safe as anywhere in Ireland, fella stabbed to death in mallow town couple days ago, limerick man stabbed few days before that..regular occurrence all over the country, seems to be different place every week. Dublin shootings every second weekend.Mallow, Waterford, Kilkenny, Dublin, wherever....younger lads need to realise consequences of their actions and the level of violence they carry out....that's not happening...justice system a complete joke.

It was not a lot different 50 years ago (except hand guns) ..... except now we are more exposed to news from areas other than we live in.
    Add to that social media which causes lots of conversations about such events and our exposure to the news of the events is even greater.

It was not a lot different 50 years ago (except hand guns) ..... except now we are more exposed to news from areas other than we live in.
    Add to that social media which causes lots of conversations about such events and our exposure to the news of the events is even greater.

There was always occasional fights outside night clubs no doubt but in general knives weren't involved,in fairness knives probably still not massively involved when it comes to late night, drink fuelled violence but a group of lads attacking someone, kicks to head, there is a reasonable chance that that person could die, those who do that should be up for attempted murder IMO.a good chance of fatality if using knife.I can't understand why there isn't more people being sued, surely the cctv/witnesses is/are there, identify people, I would definitely have them in court. If people started going down for serious stretches then attitude might change.We have been saying it for decades about gardai should be in the main drinking areas after hours. I'm guessing its not in court as much as you would think because people have zero faith in the justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Max Powers wrote:
    There was always occasional fights outside night clubs no doubt but in general knives weren't involved,in fairness knives probably still not massively involved when it comes to late night, drink fuelled violence but a group of lads attacking someone, kicks to head, there is a reasonable chance that that person could die, those who do that should be up for attempted murder IMO.a good chance of fatality if using knife.I can't understand why there isn't more people being sued, surely the cctv/witnesses is/are there, identify people, I would definitely have them in court. If people started going down for serious stretches then attitude might change.We have been saying it for decades about gardai should be in the main drinking areas after hours. I'm guessing its not in court as much as you would think because people have zero faith in the justice system.

'long stretches' probably wouldnt do much for crime prevention, many humans show little or no reaction to such things, it's a highly reactive method of crime prevention

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    'long stretches' probably wouldnt do much for crime prevention, many humans show little or no reaction to such things, it's a highly reactive method of crime prevention

it does tend to remove dangerous elements from our society, though, which of itself is a welcome outcome.

whether or not it incites the criminal to change their ways, and become an acceptable member of society in the long term, is a different matter, and to me, that must take second place to protecting the rest of society from the criminal behaviour.

I would like to see a 'three strikes' kind of scheme where only 'violent' crime is taken into account, such as fighting even though no serious injury occurred etc..

Generally speaking, I expect that a stabbing or killing is not the first violent crime committed by these criminals. It is possible they could be 'weeded out' of society much earlier in their 'criminal career' and thus save lives and threats to society, by using such a scheme.

it does tend to remove dangerous elements from our society, though, which of itself is a welcome outcome.

Crime is a very complicated one, of course all in society must be protected, but I suspect we re not approaching this one correctly, our current methods are failing in many ways, but of course there are success stories to, incarceration doesn't seem to have much influence in reducing crime or certain crimes, you will find common issues amongst prison populations though, we must become more proactive in dealing with these complex issues, to try prevent crimes in the first place.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Crime is a very complicated one, of course all in society must be protected, but I suspect we re not approaching this one correctly, our current methods are failing in many ways, but of course there are success stories to, incarceration doesn't seem to have much influence in reducing crime or certain crimes, you will find common issues amongst prison populations though, we must become more proactive in dealing with these complex issues, to try prevent crimes in the first place.

Not only our methods ...... in fact I am not aware of any methods that have been truly successful in my lifetime.

Yes of course, crime prevention should be the larger part of any 'method' that is designed to be beneficial to society.
    But that is easily said, and not so easily enacted.
    So society continues to have to deal with 'crime prevention' failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bekosam

Honestly, after this latest murder I don't feel as comfortable going out as I used to. It's always near John street too. I couple of months back a friend of a friend was beat to f**k outside Thirsty Scholar "just because". The last couple of years when I hear about muggings, stabbings and murders it's always around John street. And to think I like to walk home alone. These lads need to be locked up for life. And I'm tired of hearing about "young man with 20 previous convictions gets suspended sentence." Nah, they need to be made an example of.

bekosam wrote: »
    Honestly, after this latest murder I don't feel as comfortable going out as I used to. It's always near John street too. I couple of months back a friend of a friend was beat to f**k outside Thirsty Scholar "just because". The last couple of years when I hear about muggings, stabbings and murders it's always around John street. And to think I like to walk home alone. These lads need to be locked up for life. And I'm tired of hearing about "young man with 20 previous convictions gets suspended sentence." Nah, they need to be made an example of.

Maybe if suspension of sentence could only be applied to non-violent crime, and add to that a repeat offender can get twice the normal range of sentence, we might have less of these thugs on our streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭914

I go into town fairly regularly and I haven't had a bother. Although I can see how things get fairly messy late at night.

One would have to wonder would we be better to have staggered finishing times in pubs/clubs

914 wrote: »
    I go into town fairly regularly and I haven't had a bother. Although I can see how things get fairly messy late at night.

One would have to wonder would we be better to have staggered finishing times in pubs/clubs

would 24 hour opening hours help with this staggering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I imagine if the assaults that occur were represented in a grid by time and place almost all of them would be within a couple of squares. We all know the times and places to avoid if possible.

I imagine if the assaults that occur were represented in a grid by time and place almost all of them would be within a couple of squares. We all know the times and places to avoid if possible.

and we equally know such times and places should not exist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

Regardless of staggered finish times etc, theres too many scumbags out looking for fights over nothing. It really is getting worse and worse in Waterford.
    I usually go out in Dublin as I work there and feel much safer after hours than when home in Waterford.

• Advertisement

dont the guards have a huge camrea room in the station with angles from all main nightclub/pub streets ???.Is it the case of all our main places been in the one area and in a place croweded with steps and other stuff ???

From the stories going on around it was a case of been in the wrong place at the wrong time for the poor guy.

I have a habit of walking home alone after a few drinks but might have to change that a bit for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

PTH2009 wrote: »
    dont the guards have a huge camrea room in the station with angles from all main nightclub/pub streets ???.Is it the case of all our main places been in the one area and in a place croweded with steps and other stuff ???

From the stories going on around it was a case of been in the wrong place at the wrong time for the poor guy.

I have a habit of walking home alone after a few drinks but might have to change that a bit for the future.

He wasnt in the wrong place at the wrong time,he was walking home and backed away from an argument he was doing everything that a young man would be doing on a Saturday night,you're wrong place argument doesn't hold any weight here.

RIP to Damien 'O Brien,this has to be one of the most senseless deaths in Waterford that i can remember ,such a waste of a talented young man out enjoying himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I would never ever choose to be outside the Manor Street/Johns Street area after dark and especially when the clubs close. Its a pure powder keg about to erupt- you have all the drunk and drugged up lads, a lot of them pure scumbags, mixing together in chippers etc and fights are bound to happen. They are a new breed now though, just fearless and not at all put off by the Guards. I know back in late 90s early 2000s there might have been a fight but it was generally hot air and no weapons were involved. Now there are stabbings almost weekly, its a very dangerous place to be now in Ireland if going out and about.

Not helped when you hear "Person released without charge" very depressing for the family to hear those words. Life means nothing at all these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The streets of Waterford are seriously scummy after 11.00pm. Yes, Waterford is far more dangerous now than 30 years ago. There were a lot more people renting and living in the city centre 30 years ago and as a result there was a lot more regular locals as well as more garda patrols out and about back then, than there are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

As earlier poster said if you kick someone in the head it should be a charge of attempted murder with minimum sentence. Too many cases of ‘people’ with 50 plus convictions going to court, getting lenient sentence and out in no time due to over crowding.

We have loads of suggestions for crime prevention but building new prisons never seems to be one of them for some reason. Surely for a return on money spent /vote getter this one must be right up there for a govt party or aspiring candidate

thomasm wrote: »
    As earlier poster said if you kick someone in the head it should be a charge of attempted murder with minimum sentence. Too many cases of ‘people’ with 50 plus convictions going to court, getting lenient sentence and out in no time due to over crowding.

We have loads of suggestions for crime prevention but building new prisons never seems to be one of them for some reason. Surely for a return on money spent /vote getter this one must be right up there for a govt party or aspiring candidate
    Did the poor guy who died get kicked in the head? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Did the poor guy who died get kicked in the head? :(

Don’t know, was talking in general

thomasm wrote: »
    Don’t know, was talking in general

Oh ok. I do agree, kicking someone in the head when they are down is attempted murder in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Ah yes, Waterford 30 years ago was full of manly young men holding doors open for each other as they entered their local hostelry for a jovial evening of song and a bit of harmless craic.

Lads, I would walk naked and blindfolded down John Street at midnight holding fistfuls of 50's before I would share the city with beauts like Jimmy Dilldoll again:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/two-waterford-men-jailed-in-london-for-killing-epileptic-1.53892

In common with any large population centre we have always had the occasional psycho, there is nothing out of the ordinary in the general scheme of things. (We should still jail the fcukers first chance we get, mind).

• Advertisement

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Ah yes, Waterford 30 years ago was full of manly young men holding doors open for each other as they entered their local hostelry for a jovial evening of song and a bit of harmless craic.

Lads, I would walk naked and blindfolded down John Street at midnight holding fistfuls of 50's before I would share the city with beauts like Jimmy Dilldoll again:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/two-waterford-men-jailed-in-london-for-killing-epileptic-1.53892

In common with any large population centre we have always had the occasional psycho, there is nothing out of the ordinary in the general scheme of things. (We should still jail the fcukers first chance we get, mind).

Occasional psycho.....brilliant, accurate but brilliant. Just to further underline the non uniqueness of what happened in mallow, Waterford, wherever, some 70 year old man was killed by someone in their 40s over the weekend somewhere else, more violence...every week...

Advertisement