Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gas Boiler + Solar vs Heat pump

Options
  • 13-07-2018 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was looking to get a second opinion on options that my plumper has suggested. We are currently renovating the entire house. It currently has an oil boiler with rads. The boiler heats both the rads and our hot water (3 zone setup). The oil boiler is definitely going as we want the oil tank in the back garden gone as well. We are putting in underfloor heating on the ground floor with rads on the top floor. So the following 2 options were suggested to me:

Buy gas boiler and hook up to mains in the estate for heating. Then put solar panels (thermal) on the roof to take care of hot water. (east-west rooftop)

OR

Buy heat pump and have that deal with your heating and hot water.

Info
    We are a family of 5 with 3 young kids. The ground floor is 88m2 and the top floor is 81m2. The house should be an A3 BER rating by the end of the works (currently D3). We will be living in this house forever so not worried about long payback.

The more I read, the less sure of which option to go with. I read heat pumps aren't great for constant hot water but getting away from fossil fuels is very appealing. The initial cost isn't to much of a factor as I just want to make the right choice for the future. I want to have plenty of hot water with no need to switch immersion on but still have cheap bills when heating the house in winter.

Anyone gone through a similar decision and could point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Unless you are going airtight and decent insulation, stick to getting a new efficient gas boiler. HP to be efficient need optimal conditions to be better.
    Just my input from following these threads and having HP in a new build. Save a few Bob and treat the squids

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Shaunoc wrote:
    Unless you are going airtight and decent insulation, stick to getting a new efficient gas boiler. HP to be efficient need optimal conditions to be better. Just my input from following these threads and having HP in a new build. Save a few Bob and treat the squids

There will be very good insulation in the floor and walls but it won't be airtight. I'm leaning more towards the gas and solar all right. Trying to find a good space outside for the HP is a bit of a pain as well

Advertisement