Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting started in motorsport

Options
  • 09-07-2018 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

Art McCarrick here from Motorsport Ireland. Creating this thread as a 1 stop shop for people looking to get started in motorsport where I can advise you on licences, disciplines, budgets etc... It's worth remembering there are very affordable forms of organised motorsport out there. Having being a voyeur on boards for years it's obvious people use boards to find out information over almost every other source so it makes sense to have someone from MI on here. Happy to field any queries you may have.

Thanks,

Art

*Mods, if you could consider making this a sticky that would be great

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hi, Art can you tell me what age can my son start to go-carting.
    He is only 4 1/2 at the moment but I was hoping that when he turns 5 he could start.

Many thanks,
    TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Art McCarrick

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Hi, Art can you tell me what age can my son start to go-carting.
    He is only 4 1/2 at the moment but I was hoping that when he turns 5 he could start.

Many thanks,
    TCP/IP

Hi TCP/IP,

Your son can start karting in MI Championships from the age of 6 in the Mini Kart class and can compete in that class until the end of the year he turns 8. A Mini Kart licence is free (in fact all kart licences up to the age of 16 are free) but you yourself will need a competitors entrants licence, at the moment this costs €30 for national licences.

After that, it's up to you, do you want to buy a kart and run it yourself or do you want to be run by a team etc etc... I'd strongly recommend you get to a round of the championship and have a chat to people in the paddock, they'd only be happy to advise.

The remaining rounds of the 2018 series are:

05/08/2018 Round 6 Mondello Park, Co. Kildare
    26/08/2018 Round 7 Whiteriver Park, Co. Louth
    09/09/2018 Round 8 Watergrasshill, Co. Cork
    23/09/2018 Round 9 Tynagh, Co. Galway

Hope this helps,

Art

Art that is super and may thanks for the information its a shame they cannot start at 5 but I guess rules are rules.
    Mondello is very close to home so I will head down and have a look and try and have a conversation or two.
    Will you be there on the day by any chance??

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Art that is super and may thanks for the information its a shame they cannot start at 5 but I guess rules are rules.
    Mondello is very close to home so I will head down and have a look and try and have a conversation or two.
    Will you be there on the day by any chance??

I'll more than likely be there, don't know for certain just yet. If I'm not though, you can drop me a DM and I'll send you my email address. Also it's worth bringing your son along to Mondello that day, it's important he sees what goes on and if it's actually something he wants to do rather than you investing in a kart and tyres and safety gear only to find out he doesn't really like it at all.

Exactly Art I plan to bring him on the day to take a look and get his thoughts on it.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    It would even be more affordable if MI didn't add 15 euro onto every race entry this year. Or if MI didn't up the cost of the license constantly. Or if you could appeal nonsense decisions without paying 400e...

If we could keep this thread to getting started in motorsport that would be great. Although, to address your issues, licence costs have remained at a steady level over the last few years (the levy is separate). Unfortunately, as you will be aware, MI are in the middle of a fairly serious insurance issue, €15 extra per race is very little in reality although any increase will naturally be met with disdain. And I'm not immune to this, I compete too.

Our current insurance deal runs out at the of this year and lots of work is been done in the background for next year and beyond in that regard. A good deal with allow us to plan for a few years and not having it going year to year like at present but the facts are this: Our insurance (which covers all disciplines) has gone up by 188% in the last 2 years with no claims in that time. We joined the Alliance For Insurance Reform too who are starting to put the pressure on the government.

With regards to appeals, the fee is there so you think about appealing. If it was free to appeal, could you imagine the amount of appeals there would be? Appeal fees are broadly the same across all ASNs and they are there with good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 supertrains

Hello Art, just got back here earlier this year. Was wondering about the grassroot motorsports scene over here as I was from Malaysia and participated in national car races back home in Sepang F1 Circuit.

Went a few times to Mondello and wanting to find more information of the kind of entry level races available for me to join. I looked up about the Fiesta zetec and ST championship car races but failed to find enough information such as regulation for the car and such.

Could you point me to the right direction?

Hello Art, just got back here earlier this year. Was wondering about the grassroot motorsports scene over here as I was from Malaysia and participated in national car races back home in Sepang F1 Circuit.

Went a few times to Mondello and wanting to find more information of the kind of entry level races available for me to join. I looked up about the Fiesta zetec and ST championship car races but failed to find enough information such as regulation for the car and such.

Could you point me to the right direction?

Motorsport Ireland yearbook probably best place to start as it outlines the regulations for both classes. Links below!

Zetec regs - http://www.motorsportireland.com/Libraries/Yearbook_2018/MI_Yearbook_2018_App_48_WEB.sflb.ashx

ST regs - http://www.motorsportireland.com/Libraries/Yearbook_2018/MI_Yearbook_2018_App_51_WEB.sflb.ashx

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

Hi Art,

I see lots of footage of Irish hillclimb events on facebook. I was wondering is there a production car class for hill climbing where I can run a standard car, or does the car need a rollcage for every class? I know in the UK there are production car classes where you run a completely standard car with no mods or safety equipment.

Thanks!

conor2469 wrote: »
    Hi Art,

I see lots of footage of Irish hillclimb events on facebook. I was wondering is there a production car class for hill climbing where I can run a standard car, or does the car need a rollcage for every class? I know in the UK there are production car classes where you run a completely standard car with no mods or safety equipment.

Thanks!

Hi Conor. To go on the hills, you'll need to meet minimum safety requirements as per Appendix 2 in MI yearbook (bolt in cage, seat, harness, electric cut off, extinguisher etc). The cheapest way to go hillclimbing is in the Fiat "Cento Challenge" class. Here's all you need to know on the class - http://www.motorsportireland.com/Libraries/Technical_Information_2017/APPENDIX_81_-_HILLCLIMB-SPRINT_NATIONAL_CHAMPIONSHIP_-_CLASS_1B_TECHNICAL_REGULATIONS_CENTO_CHALLENGE_CLASS_-_PUBLISHED_1_MARCH_2017.sflb.ashx

In fact there's a car, ready to go for sale on donedeal at the moment - https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hillclimb-sprint-car/19039612

There are very few MI events you can run a completely standard car without additional safety equipment bar a production car trial or an autosolo. Even for a multivenue autotest or an endurance trial you need harnesses at the very least.

If you want to keep your car standard, track days are always an option but MI have nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement

Monaghan Motor Club will start their Navigation Trial classes this Friday. If you have an interest in rallying, then Navigation Trials are the best form of obtaining the correct ‘foundation’ for this sport. The scheduled classes will cover the full range of topics including map reading, timing, car regulations and conclude with pace notes for stages rallies.

The classes will start this Friday (August 24th) at 8pm in the Sean MacDiarmada GAA complex in Threemilehouse. Registration will also include club membership, maps, romer, and all necessary paperwork to complete the 6 week course.

All those interested should contact Shane on 0862616120 to book your place.

Great starter event. Standard cars can be used, all you need is a MI licence and IRDS cover and you can take a passenger along once they have signed on.

40225475_1748878418562972_8055342606827126784_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1cee9cd38b747620eb551be6851c6470&oe=5C2F7EFB

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Hi Conor. To go on the hills, you'll need to meet minimum safety requirements as per Appendix 2 in MI yearbook (bolt in cage, seat, harness, electric cut off, extinguisher etc). The cheapest way to go hillclimbing is in the Fiat "Cento Challenge" class. Here's all you need to know on the class - http://www.motorsportireland.com/Libraries/Technical_Information_2017/APPENDIX_81_-_HILLCLIMB-SPRINT_NATIONAL_CHAMPIONSHIP_-_CLASS_1B_TECHNICAL_REGULATIONS_CENTO_CHALLENGE_CLASS_-_PUBLISHED_1_MARCH_2017.sflb.ashx

In fact there's a car, ready to go for sale on donedeal at the moment - https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hillclimb-sprint-car/19039612

There are very few MI events you can run a completely standard car without additional safety equipment bar a production car trial or an autosolo. Even for a multivenue autotest or an endurance trial you need harnesses at the very least.

If you want to keep your car standard, track days are always an option but MI have nothing to do with them.

I think your forgetting a sport there Art...

You can do conventional autotests in a std car and many drive their car to and from events. There is even a class specificly for road going cars in the national championship that starts this weekend in Cork.

guyfo wrote: »
    I think your forgetting a sport there Art...

You can do conventional autotests in a std car and many drive their car to and from events. There is even a class specificly for road going cars in the national championship that starts this weekend in Cork.

Omitted in error although the poster did specifically ask re hillclimbs. Well done on your win at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 9 W.M.Bryan

Hi Art,
    I was recommended to visit this thread to find out everything I need to know to get started in karting

W.M.Bryan wrote: »
    Hi Art,
    I was recommended to visit this thread to find out everything I need to know to get started in karting

No problem at all, to narrow down my reply a little are you looking to get started in karting yourself or are you inquiring on behalf of someone like a child for example?

Thanks,

Art

myself I’m 17 is that too late to be getting started

myself I’m 17 is that too late to be getting started

It's never too late to get started but it does limit the classes you could compete in as some naturally, are age and weight based.

My advice to anyone starting out, before they get a licence or a kart, is try and get to a kart race and suss things out, chat to competitors in the classes you are eligible for. It may be a case some classes are out of your budget and that's how you decide, it's different for everyone. http://irishkarting.com/ is a very good place to start, it's a 1 stop shop for all things karting, you'll find dates, karts for sale and more importantly, a very clear section on starting out.

If you have the means to get to Galway this weekend, the final round of the Motorsport Ireland Kart Championship is on in Tynagh this weekend.

Regards,

Art

It's never too late to get started but it does limit the classes you could compete in as some naturally, are age and weight based.

My advice to anyone starting out, before they get a licence or a kart, is try and get to a kart race and suss things out, chat to competitors in the classes you are eligible for. It may be a case some classes are out of your budget and that's how you decide, it's different for everyone. http://irishkarting.com/ is a very good place to start, it's a 1 stop shop for all things karting, you'll find dates, karts for sale and more importantly, a very clear section on starting out.

If you have the means to get to Galway this weekend, the final round of the Motorsport Ireland Kart Championship is on in Tynagh this weekend.

Regards,

Art
    I won’t be able to get to Galway, but could you recommend a track or club anywhere Laois and Kilkenny I was Alfred suggested kiltorcan

I won’t be able to get to Galway, but could you recommend a track or club anywhere Laois and Kilkenny I was Alfred suggested kiltorcan

The Galway round is the last round of the 2018 championship. Kiltorcan will be on the MI Kart Calendar next year all being well on May 19th. However, as I mentioned, http://irishkarting.com/index.php is the best place to head

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's also worth noting that other karting events take place outside of the sphere of Motorsport Ireland. I believe the Tullyallen Kart Club have a strong championship and many find it more cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Stephenc66

An other great way to get involved in motorsport is to join your local motor club

http://www.motorsportireland.com/UsefulInfo/AffiliatedClubs.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xopher

Hello,

I'm completely new to this area, and I've seen a few pictures and videos of Endurance Trials and I'd like to give it a go. A few of my questions would be about the legal areas around the trials.

I was thinking of buying a cheap car for it such as a Toyota Starlet or a Corolla, and I'm already insured on a car. I was wondering if I need to insure the trial car with Liberty Insurance or Axa or is there a different way to insure it?

And would the car need NCT and everything else to participate in the trials?

Thanks.

Xopher wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm completely new to this area, and I've seen a few pictures and videos of Endurance Trials and I'd like to give it a go. A few of my questions would be about the legal areas around the trials.

I was thinking of buying a cheap car for it such as a Toyota Starlet or a Corolla, and I'm already insured on a car. I was wondering if I need to insure the trial car with Liberty Insurance or Axa or is there a different way to insure it?

And would the car need NCT and everything else to participate in the trials?

Thanks.

Hi Xopher,

Thanks for your interest. All you need to know on endurance trials can be found here - http://www.motorsportireland.com/Libraries/Yearbook_2018/MI_Yearbook_2018_App_35_WEB.sflb.ashx

As you will see, it state cars wishing to compete should be:
    "Standard road going vehicles only, but not
    commercial vehicles, will be eligible. It is the
    responsibility of the driver (not the scrutineer) to
    ensure that the vehicle complies in all respects
    with the Road Traffic Acts."

My advice is make sure the car you are competing in is taxed and tested. With regards to insurance, IRDS insurance will cover you on the road sections (you won't be allowed to start the event without it) between selectives so you won't need insurance on the car, unless you plan on driving it to and from the event (many people choose to trailer their cars).

Article 27 in that link above states what you need in terms of safety equipment but the only compulsory items are 4 point belts/harnesses, laminated glass front screen (every car will have that anyway), mud flaps on all 4 wheels and reflective warning triangle, first aid kit, tow rope and an OK/SOS board.

Having done a few of these events myself I would also suggest that you also fit a sumpguard and disconnect the fuse for the airbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Stephenc66

Hi Xopher,

My advice is make sure the car you are competing in is taxed and tested. With regards to insurance, IRDS insurance will cover you on the road sections (you won't be allowed to start the event without it) between selectives so you won't need insurance on the car, unless you plan on driving it to and from the event (many people choose to trailer their cars).

Art hope you don't mind me jumping on your reply I have just copied and pasted a few points from Motor Sport Ireland's website by way of explanation of the IRDS (Irish Rally Drivers Scheme). I think the cost of cover per event may be out of date feel free to fix my post. Good idea for a thread hope it encourages a few more people in to motor sport

"COMPETITORS ARE REMINDED THAT AN IRDS APPLICATION FORM, SEPARATE FROM THE LICENCE APPLICATION FORM, MUST BE COMPLETED FOR ANY DRIVER WHO WISHES TO TAKE PART IN STAGE RALLIES, NAVIGATION, RETROSPECTIVE OR ENDURANCE TRIALS, OR MULTI-VENUE AUTOTESTS INVOLVING THE USE OF PUBLIC ROADS. The IRDS application form is available on the MI website, under Standard Forms – Competitors, where it is the third item listed.

IRDS (Irish Rally Drivers Scheme) Database. This compulsory insurance provides Third Party Insurance Cover during the course of the event. To join the scheme, competitors must complete a proposal form, which is available on this website or from Motorsport Ireland on request. It is also available to overseas competitors who use a BRDS form and who pay the registration fee of €20 on application. It is important to note that completed proposal forms must be received by Motorsport Ireland a minimum of 14 days before cover is required in order that the applicant may be added to the Database. This Database is available to view on our website and is sent to clubs."

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    Art hope you don't mind me jumping on your reply I have just copied and pasted a few points from Motor Sport Ireland's website by way of explanation of the IRDS (Irish Rally Drivers Scheme). I think the cost of cover per event may be out of date feel free to fix it. Good idea for a thread hope it encourages a few more people in to motor sport

"COMPETITORS ARE REMINDED THAT AN IRDS APPLICATION FORM, SEPARATE FROM THE LICENCE APPLICATION FORM, MUST BE COMPLETED FOR ANY DRIVER WHO WISHES TO TAKE PART IN STAGE RALLIES, NAVIGATION, RETROSPECTIVE OR ENDURANCE TRIALS, OR MULTI-VENUE AUTOTESTS INVOLVING THE USE OF PUBLIC ROADS. The IRDS application form is available on the MI website, under Standard Forms – Competitors, where it is the third item listed.

IRDS (Irish Rally Drivers Scheme) Database. This compulsory insurance provides Third Party Insurance Cover during the course of the event. To join the scheme, competitors must complete a proposal form, which is available on this website or from Motorsport Ireland on request. It is also available to overseas competitors who use a BRDS form and who pay the registration fee of €20 on application. It is important to note that completed proposal forms must be received by Motorsport Ireland a minimum of 14 days before cover is required in order that the applicant may be added to the Database. This Database is available to view on our website and is sent to clubs."

Thanks Stephen, I will get the pricing on the site updated, as long as you have a Motorsport Ireland licence, there is currently no charge for IRDS. The charge to non MI licence holders is now €100, not €20 as stated above.

For anybody looking for the link to the IRDS form it is here - http://www.motorsportireland.com/Libraries/Standard_Forms/MOTORSPORT_IRELAND_Licence_Holders_ONLY_IRDS_Rally_MultiI-Venue_Autotest_Insurance_First_Renewal_Application.sflb.ashx

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Hi Art,

I would like to participate in some form of motorsport. I'm thinking either karting/Formula Vee.
    I am more attracted to karting but I'm in my mid 30's and most kart drivers seem to be in their late teens/early 20s.

So I've two questions.

Would I stick out like a sore thumb due to my age??

Is there a Senior Rotax championship and a x30 championship??

patsman07 wrote: »
    Hi Art,

I would like to participate in some form of motorsport. I'm thinking either karting/Formula Vee.
    I am more attracted to karting but I'm in my mid 30's and most kart drivers seem to be in their late teens/early 20s.

So I've two questions.

Would I stick out like a sore thumb due to my age??

Is there a Senior Rotax championship and a x30 championship??

Hi patsman07,

You can kart for as long as you want although it's pretty sore on the body the older you get and you need to fit to be competitive. There's an X30 Masters championship for drivers aged 30+ so you wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb at all.

Vees are an incredibly economical way to go racing if you get a good car, I know people who have done a full season on 1 set of tyres! Formula Vee Championship are very active and helpful on social media and would be able to give you more an idea regards realistic budgets.

https://www.facebook.com/FormulaVeeIreland/

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Hi
    I'm thinking of starting karting
    I was wondering what would be the best class for me?
    Would it be rotax max
    I'm in my 30s and way about 100 it's
    What would be the best kart to buy,chassis etc?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm thinking of starting karting
    I was wondering what would be the best class for me?
    Would it be rotax max
    I'm in my 30s and way about 100 it's
    What would be the best kart to buy,chassis etc?
    Thanks

Probably either the new Tillotson T4 series in the MI championship (spec engine and chassis) or the rotax 180kg class in the Tullyallen Karting Championship (spec engine). The tillotson would be easier to handle and maintain (4 stroke honda derived engine) as a newcomer. It's a brand new series so getting a second hand cheaper kart is impossible, but then again after you pay your €2750 + vat you are guaranteed to have the same equipment as everyone else. Rotax is kind of the opposite as it has been around for years but has fallen out of the national championships so engines are cheap-ish at the moment (still more than a tillotson unit) and used chassis are available at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Advertisement