Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Cup Final.

• 10-07-2018 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

Why has the Gaa scheduled loads of games on World Cup Final day!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

In fairness the Super 8s schedule was announced months ago so FIFA had plenty of opportunity to at least push the World Cup out until 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To test you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Because its sunday during the summer at the height of the GAA championship season that's why BTW the Wimbledon final is also on that day its not always practical to move major sporting events because they might clash with others, just decide which one it is you want to watch that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Is someone going to drag you by the ear to Croke Park :)

The whole planet is not going to come to a halt because of this. Should we change matches when someone gets killed in EastEnders?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I understand your arguments guys,..... but it's not really fair on the young players at championship level who love soccer and wont play at their best as they will be just thinking of the World Cup Final!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

The Illuminati

I understand your arguments guys,..... but it's not really fair on the young players at championship level who love soccer and wont play at their best as they will be just thinking of the World Cup Final!?

:D

Fair play. You are good at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Kerry are very creative at rolling out the excuses when they lose. It's always someone else's fault. They never just play shyte on the day, like everyone else.
    But even they won't have the balls to trot out that one if Clifford has a mare on Sunday. JO'D....now you may be on to something there. Big fan of the footie is Hamez O'Donaghue. Ah well...at least Eamo's press conference will be a birra crack afterwards. Yes. Our Eamo. Not the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Ah here, if any player is below their level because they're thinking of another match instead of their own they should know where to go. Ludicrous response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I was at the leinster hurling final and they were showing the world cup on some of the tvs in the premium section.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I was at the leinster hurling final and they were showing the world cup on some of the tvs in the premium section.:eek:

Thinly veiled I'm connected post.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

I'll be in the premium for Ciarrai v Gaillimh so good to know I can see a bit of the WC at half time :)

Almost full round of Dublin hurling league tonight.

So much for the Jackeen soccer boys :-)

andrew1977 wrote: »

That's the premium section for you. Was there for 2011 final and Varadakar was there with Dublin jersey over his suit. Poor Deenihan was trying to lose him in the crowd! Just about sums up the premium section :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well with it now being France v Croatia I doubt attendance will be affected that much.

Well with it now being France v Croatia I doubt attendance will be affected that much.

Indeed. says a lot about the mentality and cultural orientation of people who were proposing this in the first place, does it not? We are a sad lot in many ways ….

So Sam, will you watch your "beloved" Croatia or France, or look at Galway/Kerry?

Spurheroes' "beloved" Spurs players been knocked out so he might lower himself to watch the bogball :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

Don't be so sure. The champions league is back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

World cup final
    Gaa forum
    Does not compute

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Indeed. says a lot about the mentality and cultural orientation of people who were proposing this in the first place, does it not? We are a sad lot in many ways ….

I dont see anything sad about any of it tbh. In no other modern country would you see this kind of ****e talk about other sports? No, because in any other modern country its possible to follow and enjoy more than one sport without the bs we have to put up with here.

And fwiw i have no issue with the GAA scheduling the match at this time, i dont see any other option anyway. If it was Mayo playing it wouldnt be an issue for me, they would come first but that doesnt mean i wouldnt have any interest in the soccer and would like to see both if possible. There is nothing worng with that you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

This is bizarre stuff. Questioning the 'mentality' and 'cultural orientation' of people who would choose to watch the World Cup Final on Sunday....

Questioning the mentality of people who were demanding that GAA move one of biggest games of the year so people could see ….. drumroll, Croatia and France!

Of course the people pushing for this are EPL supporters so probably lost interest now.

And yes, it does say a lot about the mentality of a lot of people here. Noticeable too, that those most in favour are irregular contributors to GAA topics.

Dogs bark, the caravan passes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Questioning the mentality of people who were demanding that GAA move one of biggest games of the year so people could see ….. drumroll, Croatia and France!

Of course the people pushing for this are EPL supporters so probably lost interest now.

And yes, it does say a lot about the mentality of a lot of people here. Noticeable too, that those most in favour are irregular contributors to GAA topics.

Dogs bark, the caravan passes on...

I find your attitude to be hugely narrow minded. You seem determined to classify people as somehow less 'culturally pure' if they see things differently to you.

I have a GAA season ticket for my county and I've had it for the last eight years. I also attend two or three EPL games each year.

I will be watching the World Cup Final on Sunday. It is completely irrelevant which two teams are in the Final. I will be watching because it is the World Cup Final.

I can never understand people who might watch something because Ireland are involved but have no interest otherwise. If it is a significant event, it is significant irrespective of whether Ireland are there or not. Would you not bother watching the latter stages of the All Ireland Championships just because your county happened to have been eliminated at an early stage?

For the record, the biggest sporting event taking place this weekend is obviously the WC Final. The second biggest are the Wimbledon Finals. The biggest event next week is the Open Golf at Carnoustie. You don't have to agree with those rankings but you should stop seeing yourself as more pure and genuine than those with a broader range of interests than you.

I wouldn't watch it even if one of the Irish teams was in it.

But it would make sense for other events to be changed to suit that scenario. Pressure on GAA to change Sunday's game was silly, and has noticeably fallen off since England was eliminated, which really tells its own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Rumours that Harry Kane missed that goal on purpose so he could watch Galway V Kerry instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I wouldn't watch it even if one of the Irish teams was in it.

But it would make sense for other events to be changed to suit that scenario. Pressure on GAA to change Sunday's game was silly, and has noticeably fallen off since England was eliminated, which really tells its own story.

Well thats what really struck me.
    Why does the GAA alway seem to be under pressure to accommodate other sports ?

There was plenty of media commentators and others over the last few weeks questioning the 4pm Sunday throw in and how it would clash with the World Cup.

The default position from those is that the GAA are in some way being intransigent by not changing well established throw in days and times to accommodate another sport that has zero Irish involvement.

It's low hanging fruit, blame the GAA for not being backward for not being "accommodating to other sports"

I'm sure there than many many high profile sports events on in other countries at the same time as the world cup final, are their local media and people asking similar questions, or do they just accept that things clash.

Wimbleton finals being perfect example. Were not going to be moved even if England were in the final. Last year when Leicester City won EPL. there were quite a number of times when their home games clashed with home games for Leicester Tigers in rugby premiership. there was never any question of moving their games, and they both still got full houses for what is a relatively small city. smaller than Belfast.

No-one is forcing anyone to go to anything. Lots of people tomorrow will be in their gardens, at the beach, watching Turner Classic Movies, walking the dog, drinking in Grogans which has no TV at all when the WC final and Kerry/Galway is on.

Vive la differance!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I was in Clones in 2002 when Ireland were playing Spain, I remember the old Donegal fellows holding their wireless', I actually found this odd as a Derry native as I never really knew any old men who followed soccer, my father didn't (40s) at the time hence why we were at the game. I actually still have the newspaper cuttings from that spain game.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Does anyone know where is venue for World Cup final 2026?? Will it be rose bowl again?? Or the new sofi stadium in LA?? Or will it be in MetLife in New York?? Could it even be in Mexico City in the azteca for nostalgia??

Advertisement