Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women 10 Round Number 2018

• 10-07-2018 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Women, we actually had this thread last year! I'd just forgotten because I didn't really race June-Dec 2017. But here it is!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102128255

Will we do it again this year?

Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min

HelenAnnel ||||||33:52||||
    ||| |||| |||

That 5-mile time is from the Terenure 5 this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I could only dream of ever getting anywhere near any of those targets, but I'd love to see other people's progress. Good luck to anyone attempting them! (And congrats to you HelenAnne on already having hit one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

eyrie wrote: »
    I could only dream of ever getting anywhere near any of those targets, but I'd love to see other people's progress. Good luck to anyone attempting them! (And congrats to you HelenAnne on already having hit one)

Ehhh ... I just looked at your log and it looks like you recently knocked nearly FOUR MINUTES off your 10k time, and you're running 40+ mile weeks!! With that kind of training and improvement you could definitely do some of these times. Try the 5-mile first, I think it's the easiest. :) (That's why it's the first one I've managed).

I'm really going to try for the 5k and the mile this year too, but the longer ones are beyond me this year as I'm only building mileage back up again and am only doing 30-35 mile weeks so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Ehhh ... I just looked at your log and it looks like you recently knocked nearly FOUR MINUTES off your 10k time, and you're running 40+ mile weeks!! With that kind of training and improvement you could definitely do some of these times. Try the 5-mile first, I think it's the easiest. :) (That's why it's the first one I've managed).

I'm really going to try for the 5k and the mile this year too, but the longer ones are beyond me this year as I'm only building mileage back up again and am only doing 30-35 mile weeks so far.

The 3k looks like a good one to target too, and if you can do a 6-min mile a 3-min 800 should be a piece of cake!

Murph_D wrote: »
    The 3k looks like a good one to target too, and if you can do a 6-min mile a 3-min 800 should be a piece of cake!

It's a big IF! I ran 6.05 back in April, but 5 seconds is a lot over a mile ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There’s a mile race at final graded meet at Morton Stadium, Aug 1st. Hope to make it over myself.

• Advertisement

Ha! Well thanks for digging out my log but that improvement is not as impressive as it sounds, I'd only run one 10k before and it was near the start of when I discovered how to actually train. So i don't expect such big improvements again!

Have you always been speedy? I don't think you have a training log (?) or I'd go read it for tips :P

Have you always been speedy? I don't think you have a training log (?) or I'd go read it for tips :P

Well, I'm not really speedy (that's not modesty - I'm in a club, so I can see how many women in my club and in others are WAY faster than me :)), but if you mean, could I always hit the easiest of the Round Number targets, then no, I couldn't.

I started running in 2010, and my first Mini Marathon took me around 90 minutes. A few months later I was delighted with 27.xx at my first 5k, and the year I joined Raheny (2011) I was targeting sub-40 instead of sub 35 for the Raheny 5. Like you, I made a good chunk of improvement at the beginning, and then I suppose, I plateau-ed a bit.

The reason for the plateau and the reason for the lack of log are the same, I'd say - I don't really follow a specific plan, or train for anything specific (like I don't do marathons). I tend to race all year round and do the same kind of training all year round (obviously building up the long run mileage if I'm doing a 10-mile or half). So my log would be pretty boring -- I never really do sessions on my own, or keep a log of splits on training runs etc.

I do follow a very general plan - it used to be: speed session or midweek race, a couple of ordinary runs, a hill, park run, LSR. I've been building mileage back up this year after a hiatus, and I have to admit that the hill has fallen by the wayside this year, and the LSRs aren't very L yet, but I'll get back to it. (Killed two birds with one stone last week by doing my LSR on the Howth cliff path with friends.)

At the moment, I'm on the comeback trail (still!!) so even though I've hit a few of the Round Number targets in the past, it would be nice to get back to some of them again this year.

You keep them in mind too, and you never know! A 5 mile time might surprise you later in the year!

And come join us on this thread, other women!! :) (Sorry this was off-topic!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ha! Well thanks for digging out my log but that improvement is not as impressive as it sounds, I'd only run one 10k before and it was near the start of when I discovered how to actually train. So i don't expect such big improvements again!

You're not running that long at all, lots of improvements to come. You're nowhere near a plateau.

The reason for the plateau and the reason for the lack of log are the same, I'd say - I don't really follow a specific plan, or train for anything specific (like I don't do marathons). I tend to race all year round and do the same kind of training all year round (obviously building up the long run mileage if I'm doing a 10-mile or half). So my log would be pretty boring -- I never really do sessions on my own, or keep a log of splits on training runs etc.

Fwiw, I actually think your log would be really interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

park run
    !
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Fwiw, I actually think your log would be really interesting!

agreed!

Well, I'm not really speedy (that's not modesty - I'm in a club, so I can see how many women in my club and in others are WAY faster than me :)), but if you mean, could I always hit the easiest of the Round Number targets, then no, I couldn't.

I started running in 2010, and my first Mini Marathon took me around 90 minutes. A few months later I was delighted with 27.xx at my first 5k, and the year I joined Raheny (2011) I was targeting sub-40 instead of sub 35 for the Raheny 5. Like you, I made a good chunk of improvement at the beginning, and then I suppose, I plateau-ed a bit.

I do follow a very general plan - it used to be: speed session or midweek race, a couple of ordinary runs, a hill, park run, LSR. I've been building mileage back up this year after a hiatus, and I have to admit that the hill has fallen by the wayside this year, and the LSRs aren't very L yet, but I'll get back to it. (Killed two birds with one stone last week by doing my LSR on the Howth cliff path with friends.)

At the moment, I'm on the comeback trail (still!!) so even though I've hit a few of the Round Number targets in the past, it would be nice to get back to some of them again this year.

You keep them in mind too, and you never know! A 5 mile time might surprise you later in the year!

And come join us on this thread, other women!! :) (Sorry this was off-topic!)

This is really interesting, thanks! And I wholeheartedly agree with Huzzah - it would be great to read a log of your training/approach/progress. There are (from what I can tell) fewer women posting regularly in the logs here than men, and while I'm learning bucketloads from the men it's also great to read about women who are faster than me and what they do.

Anyway apologies all for the thread derail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

eyrie wrote:
    There are (from what I can tell) fewer women posting regularly in the logs here than men, and while I'm learning bucketloads from the men it's also great to read about women who are faster than me and what they do.

Agreed and the more we see posting here the better. It's important to see the different approaches and challenges to training for both men and women. There's usually a good influx of posters with the Novices and I'd encourage them all to set up a training log in the training logs subforum even after DCM.

I know I'm still off-topic (and someone's going to come along any second and be all 'These women, pages of chat & no numbers on the table :) ), but if it's interesting logs by fast women you're looking for, some women who don't really post much here any more had FAB training logs, I used to really enjoy reading them: Marthastew, Claralara & Dubgal. If it's progression (from first marathons, and recreational running to National championships & running for Ireland) & speed you're looking for, check them all out!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76410964

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056134487

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057328536

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I know I'm still off-topic (and someone's going to come along any second and be all 'These women, pages of chat & no numbers on the table :) ), but if it's interesting logs by fast women you're looking for, some women who don't really post much here any more had FAB training logs, I used to really enjoy reading them: Marthastew, Claralara & Dubgal. If it's progression (from first marathons, and recreational running to National championships & running for Ireland) & speed you're looking for, check them all out!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76410964

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056134487

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057328536

I know this table doesn't include 1500m but the legend that is Dubgal ran a 4:55:07 for the 1500 on Saturday and in the process (subject to ratification) broke the Irish National Record for the 0/45 category and also smashed her PB.

I know this table doesn't include 1500m but the legend that is Dubgal ran a 4:55:07 for the 1500 on Saturday and in the process (subject to ratification) broke the Irish National Record for the 0/45 category and also smashed her PB.

Wow!! Good for her! That's fab!

Advertisement