Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft optics vs firearm optics

Options
  • 09-06-2018 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I know you can get some pretty bad airsoft optics but I dont really want to pay a ton of money for optics used on real firearms, are there any good brands anyone suggests that will work well staying under $100 price range

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AlecBeach

I have a few that work really well. I've looked through both Airsoft and Real optics and some you can barely tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AP0LL0

I've used moderately priced optics for both.  For around $100 you can pick up a primary arms optic.  For airsoft, vsim and g&g makes nice optics, but I'm not sure if they would work well for real shooting.  I'd stick with Primary Arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

AP0LL0 wrote: »
    .  For airsoft, vsim and g&g makes nice optics, but I'm not sure if they would work well for real shooting.  I'd stick with Primary Arms.

Regards real steel usage of optics; I had this conversation with a Magpul representative in Germany at the 2015 (I think; might have been 2016) IWA shot show. Basically the conversation summarised was that they had absolutely no intentions of returning to the airsoft market (this was a few months after they announced their withdrawal) because airsoft versions of their sights were finding their way into the RS domain (and indeed as the story would claim, the tipping point being stuff ending up in Afghanistan) and falling apart because it wasn't intended for the same tolerances - i.e. recoil. RS shooters were then giving Magpul grief over why a) should they pay n when they could by magpul stuff for n - y and then b) why was stuff was falling apart. All in all, the impression I got was a sour taste in Magpul's mouth if the story is as it was portrayed.

Bottom line as far as I'm lead to believe (in general, not just from the above Magpul rep), slap an airsoft sight, be it irons or optical on an RS gun and it'll most likely cease to be reliable (or even work) after shot #1

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lemming wrote: »
    Bottom line as far as I'm lead to believe (in general, not just from the above Magpul rep), slap an airsoft sight, be it irons or optical on an RS gun and it'll most likely cease to be reliable (or even work) after shot #1

I suspect that wouldn't hold true universally. I'd be quite confident that sticking my ACOG on the .22 would function reliably while my faith in it doing the same on something chambered in 7.62 would be very much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ED E wrote: »
    I suspect that wouldn't hold true universally. I'd be quite confident that sticking my ACOG on the .22 would function reliably while my faith in it doing the same on something chambered in 7.62 would be very much lower.

Of course. The conversation with the Magpul rep was very much in the context of their US customers who would be far more likely to own something with a little more kick than a .22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MaxtheNinja

I usually don't pay more than $30 or so for an airsoft optic, I use cheap knockoffs on my airsoft guns, the micro dot I got looks great on my vfc vr16 avalon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PaulSchoon

Yeah, real steel sights on airsoft guns are overkill.
    Cool! You got an avalon? I have always wanted one of those. Maybe after my next paycheck...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MaxtheNinja

Yeah, I got an avalon, it's amazing! It has a 1yr factory warranty on it (on top of all the amazing performance) so that if you can manage to break it, you don't have to worry. I got mine at Modern Airsoft because I found they have much better customer service than Evike.

Advertisement