Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting graduate job uncertainty

Options
  • 09-07-2018 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some opinions

I'm working on placement for college in a small firm and have the opportunity to come back to do my training contract after final year.

I would like to, but I would also like to try the top 10 or 4 (providing I can get in - which is a topic for another day). Would you recommend moving to a bigger place for career prospects? Where I am now, my salary would increase if I come back. I'm also learning aspects in every part of accounting.

However, I think I would like to be around younger people who are in the same boat as me and experience something new. But would I be stuck doing the same thing all day everyday? What would you guys do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Do they need you to say now if you're definitely coming back?

I went the big 4 route and I have to say that it has it's advantages like you say. There's a lot of people the same age, in the same boat so you do make friends. It can look good on the CV and opens doors after training to other areas. However if you like the all round experience you're getting now, then you won't get that in a big 4. It's very segmented. While some skills can transfer, it can make moving to industry or a more all round role a bit more difficult.

You won't necessarily be stuck doing the same thing every day but you will be doing similar. For example I worked on Fund accounting for 1.5 years in total - different funds with different problems and ranging from quite small to umbrella style but they were all funds at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 areyouwinning

Do they need you to say now if you're definitely coming back?

I went the big 4 route and I have to say that it has it's advantages like you say. There's a lot of people the same age, in the same boat so you do make friends. It can look good on the CV and opens doors after training to other areas. However if you like the all round experience you're getting now, then you won't get that in a big 4. It's very segmented. While some skills can transfer, it can make moving to industry or a more all round role a bit more difficult.

You won't necessarily be stuck doing the same thing every day but you will be doing similar. For example I worked on Fund accounting for 1.5 years in total - different funds with different problems and ranging from quite small to umbrella style but they were all funds at the end of the day.

Nope, there is no pressure to come back, they said there is always a place here. But I do need to decide by September/October to start applying for graduate training jobs.
    I'm very very undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some opinions

I'm working on placement for college in a small firm and have the opportunity to come back to do my training contract after final year.

I would like to, but I would also like to try the top 10 or 4 (providing I can get in - which is a topic for another day). Would you recommend moving to a bigger place for career prospects? Where I am now, my salary would increase if I come back. I'm also learning aspects in every part of accounting.

However, I think I would like to be around younger people who are in the same boat as me and experience something new. But would I be stuck doing the same thing all day everyday? What would you guys do?

What course are you doing? What do you expect your final degree to be? Are you looking for a job in Dublin / elsewhere. Big 4 will generally look for minimum 2.1. Top 10 2.2. Jobs in big 4 / 10 outside Dublin are harder to get.

There are advantages and disadvantages to big 4 / 10 and working in a small practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 areyouwinning

jonnybravo wrote: »
    What course are you doing? What do you expect your final degree to be? Are you looking for a job in Dublin / elsewhere. Big 4 will generally look for minimum 2.1. Top 10 2.2. Jobs in big 4 / 10 outside Dublin are harder to get.

There are advantages and disadvantages to big 4 / 10 and working in a small practice.

Business majoring in accounting & finance, expected 2:1. I would like to go to Dublin or Galway, preferably Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Nope, there is no pressure to come back, they said there is always a place here. But I do need to decide by September/October to start applying for graduate training jobs.
    I'm very very undecided.

What is the harm in applying for the training programs? I applied to 6 and only got 2 offers. While some is based on results, a lot is based on the interviews and that.

We were advised in college to apply for them all (or as many as you felt comfortable doing the interviews for) and use it, if nothing else, for interview experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement