Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park tunnel: 4 trains per hour from 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

marno21 wrote: »
    Shane Ross written reply regarding rail services:

Is this an error by him?

Well given that there are no such services from the Kildare line to Docklands (barring a potential recent and bizarre rechristening of the Navan branch :pac:) it must be an error on some level!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grand Canal Dock / Docklands confusion. Easy enough mistake.

PPT to Docklands is currently not possible without reversing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Is this an error by him?

Where is the 28 carriages coming from. I thought 10 2700 sets were coming back. Have they decided to bring back the 8200s as well or is there damaged ICR waiting repairs for a return to service.

His 10 min Darts across all lines comment could be misleading to some as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

IE 222 wrote: »
    Where is the 28 carriages coming from. I thought 10 2700 sets were coming back. Have they decided to bring back the 8200s as well or is there damaged ICR waiting repairs for a return to service.

i think the plan is now to bring back all 2700s+ the 2750s + the hybrid. i think that would be the 28 carriges if it's correct.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Is this an error by him?

Where is it quoted from? I have seen him mention things like "Phoenix Park tunnel services will increase" etc, but nothing where he mentions Docklands (or even GCD).

• Advertisement

All of the 2700s (including the hybrid) are to return. After months of delays work will begin on the first set in October.

Most likely 2715/2724 will be the first set as it was used for the tender scoping exercise last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

they could mean the Howth and Malihide branchs having a 10 minute frequency, which would require five minutes of the Connolly-Howth Junction section, or make Howth a shuttle service.

And they would hardly do a 10 minute service on Bray to Greystones.

they could mean the Howth and Malihide branchs having a 10 minute frequency, which would require five minutes of the Connolly-Howth Junction section, or make Howth a shuttle service.

10 minute DART services = 20 minute Greystones-Malahide service and a 20 minute Bray-Howth service.

Between Bray-Howth Junction is a true 10 minute service, but between Howth Junction-Malahide/Howth and Greystones-Bray will be a 20 minute service.

There was talk of a 10 minute Bray/Greystones (every second train to/from Greystones) to Malahide service with a Howth Junction-Howth shuttle service, but I believe this was dropped, Howth Junction was actually signalled to allow for such a shuttle service during phase 1 of the CCRP.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

10 minute Bray-Greystones is not feasible due to the single track between Bray and Greystones around Bray Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

GM228 wrote: »
    10 minute DART services = 20 minute Greystones-Malahide service and a 20 minute Bray-Howth service.

Between Bray-Howth Junction is a true 10 minute service, but between Howth Junction-Malahide/Howth and Greystones-Bray will be a 20 minute service.

There was talk of a 10 minute Bray/Greystones (every second train to/from Greystones) to Malahide service with a Howth Junction-Howth shuttle service, but I believe this was dropped, Howth Junction was actually signalled to allow for such a shuttle service during phase 1 of the CCRP.

there will be no increase in frequency between Bray and Greystones, it'll stay at 30 minutes i.e. every 3rd Dart will go to Greystones (currently every 2nd Dart).

Also (if the previous proposed timetable is the one they go back to) there'll be no improvement in weekend frequencies which will stay at one Dart an hour to Greystones :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The proposal was always for 10 minute interval between Bray and Howth Junction. Greystones will be 30 minutes at best.

Every 20 minutes on the Howth branch will be a significant improvement at off peak

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is this an error by him?

Shane Ross reply today saying off peak service enhancements to start on Kildare/PPT & Maynooth lines in December. Not sure if it's a delay or a case of the right hand not talking to the left hand

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2018-06-28a.707

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Is this an error by him?
    By the civil servant who actually wrote that answer OR he just glazed over it and misspoke in the chamber having probably not bothered to read the answer before he entered the Dail.

Shane Ross does not care about transport in any way, or national issues IN ANY WAY. When he was a Senator he made like he was all about national issues but as soon as he went to the Dail he revealed himself to be one of the usual tired predictable parish pump types he used to complain about.

He cares what affects his patch nothing more which is why nothings getting done on transport that the NTA does not do itself - he's just a Dublin version of Micheal Healey-Rae

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

GM228 wrote: »

Might be mistaken but I thought that plan was dropped partly due to driver opposition as well due to the nature of the junction itself. Also considering the trouble thats happened recently at least if something happens out past the Junction that not every service is affected outright either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Every 20 minutes on the Howth branch will be a significant improvement at off peak

Off peak is one thing but IR should be concentrating on rush hour. The '10 minute' timetable might look nice and neat on paper and is a good soundbite for politicians and management but there really should be more than a Dart every 20 minutes from Malahide and Howth in rush hour. They'll be jammed by the time they reach Howth Junction!

The new timetable had the same number of trains running between 8am to 9am as between 2pm to 3pm. Bizarre.

Actually if I recall there might have been an extra train from Howth squeezed into the morning timetable somewhere but evening rush hour has one less Dart travelling north through Pearse between 5pm and 6pm. Yeah, some improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ireland trains

Decuc500 wrote: »

Off peak is one thing but IR should be concentrating on rush hour. The '10 minute' timetable might look nice and neat on paper and is a good soundbite for politicians and management but there really should be more than a Dart every 20 minutes from Malahide and Howth in rush hour. They'll be jammed by the time they reach Howth Junction!

The new timetable had the same number of trains running between 8am to 9am as between 2pm to 3pm. Bizarre.

Actually if I recall there might have been an extra train from Howth squeezed into the morning timetable somewhere but evening rush hour has one less Dart travelling north through Pearse between 5pm and 6pm. Yeah, some improvement.
    Where is the new timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Where is the new timetable

I'm not sure if it's available to see anymore. The proposed timetable was available to see when the plans to bring in the 10 minute frequency were announced a couple of years ago maybe.

The proposed timetable did include a number of extra peak hour services to provide a higher frequency on the Howth branch, these terminated at Dun Laoghaire

Bear in mind the proposed timetable while more trains than today and peak its still less than what we had in 1999 with only 80 coaches...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The proposed timetable did include a number of extra peak hour services to provide a higher frequency on the Howth branch, these terminated at Dun Laoghaire

Bear in mind the proposed timetable while more trains than today and peak its still less than what we had in 1999 with only 80 coaches...

... but 40 trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Did it, had a scan through the copy I had and only shows 20 minute frequency all day including peak hours.

• Advertisement

Infini wrote: »
    Might be mistaken but I thought that plan was dropped partly due to driver opposition as well due to the nature of the junction itself. Also considering the trouble thats happened recently at least if something happens out past the Junction that not every service is affected outright either.

Of course it was, drivers are not keen on change!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Of course it was, drivers are not keen on change!

Can you blame em on this? Junkie Junction isnt exactly thr place anyone want's to be stuck at for an extended period considering the certain individuals that hang around wrecking the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Can you blame em on this? Junkie Junction isnt exactly thr place anyone want's to be stuck at for an extended period considering the certain individuals that hang around wrecking the place.

It's not their fault - they're disadvantaged , you see....

As someone who grew up in a council estate I will tell you first hand, that knowing that there is a piece of paper somewhere that says your house is owned by the state instead of your parents/the bank, and having less money, gives one no choice but to murder, assault, rob and destroy. How could we possibly have any other choice?

If they had security there 24/7 I suspect there would be a few who will still find something else to disrupt any changes and in most cases will get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

No need to Wait at the junction, table all the waits for Howth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No need to Wait at the junction, table all the waits for Howth.

It takes 9 mins to get from Howth to Howth Junction, and if the Darts are 10 mins apart, it makes sense for a shuttle service - and that service could be driverless, at least off peak. Two 4 coach trains going back and forth all day, with a conductor checking tickets, keeping order, and closing the doors.

This would allow Malahide to get 10 min service as well - passing loop at Clongriffin, and possibly at Clontarf.

It takes 9 mins to get from Howth to Howth Junction, and if the Darts are 10 mins apart, it makes sense for a shuttle service - and that service could be driverless, at least off peak. Two 4 coach trains going back and forth all day, with a conductor checking tickets, keeping order, and closing the doors.

This would allow Malahide to get 10 min service as well - passing loop at Clongriffin, and possibly at Clontarf.
    I think driverless trains on the IE network is pushing it to be honest, I can't see it happening any time soon. There are still level crossings on that route which would be another hurdle to overcome

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

whatever about the possible expence of upgrading that branch for driverless operation in the short to medium term (which i'd be surprised if funding was to be given for it) why would you have it driverless off peak but not at peak?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

whatever about the possible expence of upgrading that branch for driverless operation in the short to medium term (which i'd be surprised if funding was to be given for it) why would you have it driverless off peak but not at peak?

Well, I think it would be full time. I was thinking that some direct services might be added or substituted during peak times - like direct to Bray for two or three departures in AM and Bray to Howth in PM.

Probably not feasible.

• Advertisement

There is no reference to a Howth - Howth Jnc shuttle in the draft timetable.

Advertisement