Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Episode IX starts filming this summer!

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Wow. Disney will be riding Star Wars for a while yet.

Two new trilogies, several new tv series and a dedicated Disney streaming service to showcase these new series on- and so far it doesn’t look like they’ll be syndicating these series or licencing them out to the likes of sky either so they’ll be owning the market.
    Printing money for a long time to come.

OT but So happy for him. He’s such a good guy you know this means the world to him.

https://twitter.com/david75donovan/status/971838498109042688?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's currently a lot of conflunce in the Unknown Regions of space through pretty much every avenue of new Star Wars EU material.

The Unknown Regions being where the Empire remnant fled after everything went tits up post-Endor and where Snoke would later emerge from, leading the FO.

Spoilers for Rebels, Thrawn, and pretty much anything else that they're releasing at the moment (although I haven't read all of them).
    I think it began with Snoke and the First Order in TFA.

What has followed since has been that either via the force initially, or purely through Thrawn, the Emperor learned of some force of evil at play in the Unknown Regions.

This force scared the **** out of the Chiss Ascendency, who are some form of multi-planetary empire out there with the Chiss being the species of blue aliens with red eyes (of which Thrawn is one).

They sent Thrawn to gather allies from the rest of the galaxy or failing that, someone to undermine and then point this evil force at.
    Note that that means that they thought this evil force were more evil than an Empire headed up by the a Sith Emperor.

You have the Emperor instructing the remnant of the Empire to head out there as a contingency if he loses, so maybe he considers them kindred spirits, or else he wanted to help Thrawn by giving him allies, but that doesn't seem in character.

Between TLJ book, Aftermath and Phasma, I think you find out that Grand Admiral Rae Sloane headed up the Empire Remnants but at some point was usurped by Snoke.
    You find out that there were advisors or monitors of some kind aboard the Supremacy in service to some other body - a government? An overlord above Snoke?

So we know what comes from the Unknown Regions 30-35 years post-Endor.
    What goes into it is an Empire Remnant, an Imperial officer and protegé sent by Thrawn and ultimately, from Rebels, Thrawn himself, along with his fleet as well as young kinda-Jedi, Ezra Bridger. Following Endor, another pseudo-Jedi in Ahsoka (who's at the level of a Jedi Master so not to be trifled with) is heading there as well with a Mandalorian commando in tow.

All of these are being revealed in dribs and drabs. It wouldn't make sense to do that if the big reveal is that they were just filling in back-story for Snoke and the First Order as we see it in TFA.

I think they're pointing to something bigger and that will only come to be revealed in Episode IX and concurrent with that, how it comes to that through all the other avenues they're exploring at the moment.

If the ultimate story of IX is really just carrying on evil Kylo and definitely not the Empire vs good Rey and definitely not the Rebellion, and the good guys just win in an obvious and comprehensive manner, then the trilogy and every supporting bit of content in every form of media will have been a colossal waste of time.

So, I'm somewhat hopeful there really is some kind of plan and they're going big on the cross-media story buildup thing.

Something like, there's some sort of Dark Side empire out there. Snoke was the vanguard, accepting the gift of the Imperial forces, and has taken them into the rest of the galaxy and sown chaos. Kylo Ren is a bad guy, but with his betrayal of Snoke he's actually freed the FO from the yoke of the Super Dark Side Bad Guys and through some process, himself and Rey will join up and fight them.
    Maybe the Knights of Ren will be with the Super Bad Guys.

Whatever about the details and making it into an idea that doesn't suck, I can't see how you'd shoehorn that into one film and have it make any sense, so I'm only a little hopeful.
    It might have been a cool arc if they'd actually set it up properly with TFA and TLJ.

We’re pretty sure it’s all getting wrapped up with 9. JJ saying he sees this as tying all three trilogies together. So I don’t know if there’s room for every Bing you’ve mentioned on screen. However loads of room to do it in the books and comics etc.
    With Johnson and the GOT lads doing two new trilogies it’s looking like a clean slate free of the bonds of canon as we know it. But they deffo seem to be pushing the unknown regions.
    Zahn said at a con that Thrawn is aware of the bigger bad in the unknown regions and knows it’s coming and had he found the Rebellion to be better equipped to face it, he would have joined them but as it is the empire are better equipped. So that could mean anything but I do think it will be limited to the books, for now at least. Be interesting to see what they do with Thrawn in the sequel book. Coming in a few months I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

david75 wrote: »
    We’re pretty sure it’s all getting wrapped up with 9. JJ saying he sees this as tying all three trilogies together. So I don’t know if there’s room for every Bing you’ve mentioned on screen. However loads of room to do it in the books and comics etc.
    With Johnson and the GOT lads doing two new trilogies it’s looking like a clean slate free of the bonds of canon as we know it. But they deffo seem to be pushing the unknown regions.
    Zahn said at a con that Thrawn is aware of the bigger bad in the unknown regions and knows it’s coming and had he found the Rebellion to be better equipped to face it, he would have joined them but as it is the empire are better equipped. So that could mean anything but I do think it will be limited to the books, for now at least. Be interesting to see what they do with Thrawn in the sequel book. Coming in a few months I think?
    The new book is out the end of July, I believe. As far as I know it'll deal with his relationship with Darth Vader but given that it's called Alliances, plural, it'll probably reveal his encounter with Anakin and also reveal more about his desire for an Alliance to fight the big bad in the first place, or perhaps it's an ironic nod to his "Alliance" with Price. We see how that turns out in Rebels.

It seems odd to me that they'd have a big overriding evil in place, set to be bigger and eviler than anything before and then just fob it off on the novels. Presumably they'd want the biggest stories for the films.

Regardless, I can't see how it's going to tie all three trilogies together. They seem to have pretty much jettisoned everything from the prequels at this point, and other than Luke's force ghost, Chewie, the droids and the Falcon, there's little enough from the OT either, and they don't seem to be pointing towards heading back to the status quo as we find it in TPM.

Some interesting posts on it I found on reddit from a few months ago.
    https://www.reddit.com/user/TheMastersSkywalker/comments/7k8598/i_am_now_even_more_convinced_that_the_post_st/

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarscanon/comments/6eoeax/my_theories_for_the_defining_conflicts_of_the_new/?st=JBCURM52&sh=bacf9290

• Advertisement

GBear! They must have heard us!

The first excerpt from #Thrawn Alliances is here, featuring Grand Admiral Thrawn, Darth Vader.... and Emperor Palpatine.

You can read it here:
    https://t.co/2f1QtH1wzf?amp=1

Holy rebels crossover batman!!
    That excerpt is mad intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

david75 wrote: »
    The first excerpt from #Thrawn Alliances is here, featuring Grand Admiral Thrawn, Darth Vader.... and Emperor Palpatine.

You can read it here:
    https://t.co/2f1QtH1wzf?amp=1

That was amazing!!!
    Kanan and Bendu getting referenced!
    If this book is set just after season 3, wonder where the third book in the trilogy gonna be

wp_rathead wrote: »
    That was amazing!!!
    Kanan and Bendu getting referenced!
    If this book is set just after season 3, wonder where the third book in the trilogy gonna be

Wasn’t that just delicious?? Vader and Thrawn at loggerheads AND looking to undo each other!

This is where I feel bad for anyone not taking it all In. They miss out on all this deadly backstory. You’d probably be a bit Lost if you didnt watch Rebels reading that.
    Sounds brilliant. I can’t wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

That excerpt was really good!!!

But
    Perhaps you sense the rogue Jedi Kanan Jarrus,” he said. “Or the creature Admiral Thrawn claimed to have encountered on Atollon.”

I thought Yoda and Obi Wan were the only Jedi left after ROTS ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First bit of casting news: apparently Keri Russell (The Americans, Felicity) has been signed on for an unknown role. A very good actor, hopefully gets some decent material to work with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

I'll be avoiding this like the plague. This trilogy is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I'll be avoiding this like the plague. This trilogy is garbage.
    It Star Wars. It's about science fiction fantasy and big explosions and a fun night at the cinema. It's not about intelligent deep stories that ask questions. If you want that I recommend Star Trek the first 10 films and all 5 series. Discovery is a mess. Would not bother with Discovery

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    It Star Wars. It's about science fiction fantasy and big explosions and a fun night at the cinema. It's not about intelligent deep stories that ask questions. If you want that I recommend Star Trek the first 10 films and all 5 series. Discovery is a mess. Would not bother with Discovery

None of what you said has any relevance whatsoever to my point that this trilogy is garbage.

I never mentioned anything that you brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

None of what you said has any relevance whatsoever to my point that this trilogy is garbage.

I never mentioned anything that you brought up.

No need to get your knickers in a twist.

I was just listing a show that is not garbage that's all.

Unfortunately stuff like the Star Wars, Trek Wars etc is what Hollywood thinks the young 10 second attention span generation that go to the cinema,s these days want.
    If you do not like the latest Star Wars etc that don't watch it. No one is forcing you too.
    It is aimed mostly at kids and teenagers afterall.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    No need to get your knickers in a twist.

I was just listing a show that is not garbage that's all.

Unfortunately stuff like the Star Wars, Trek Wars etc is what Hollywood thinks the young 10 second attention span generation that go to the cinema,s these days want.
    If you do not like the latest Star Wars etc that don't watch it. No one is forcing you too.
    It is aimed mostly at kids and teenagers afterall.

I'm the one getting my knickers in a twist? Excuse me? You're the one that went off on one in a way that was completely unrelated to my post. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

When can we expect a first teaser trailer for this I wonder ?
    March/April ?
    Filming is expected to be done by February (from wikipedia)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer:

DEATH STAR
    ?
    [EMPEROR VOICE]DEATH STAAAAARRRRR[/EMPEROR VOICE]
    !

Epic
    jump
    shot to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Personally I hope Kylo wins and wipes em all out. The last two made the prequels look awesome ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Star Wars nerds, had time travel ever been a thing in the old Expanded Universe?

It's such a bonkers theory, I kinda want to see it. It'd be a glorious mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Star Wars nerds, had time travel ever been a thing in the old Expanded Universe?

They kind of did time travel in Rebels. Which is canon.
    The main guy gets access to a portal into the world between worlds. Sort of a portal into the force. In there he hears all kinds of voices (We know to be quotes/clips from all the films including rogue one and force awakens) and there’s the all these portals he sees out into different times and events past and future.
    Palpatine is trying to get access into this world between worlds (he doesn’t on the end) so it’s not time travel but it kind of is.
    Doubt it will ever happen onscreen.
    Red letter media did one of their dumb videos this week suggesting as much so they could retcon last Jedi. And of course all the clickbait sites are running it as news.
    You’ll never see time travel in Star Wars I don’t believe.

Here’s the clip. It’s actually really cool.

They kind of did time travel in Rebels. Which is canon.
    The main guy gets access to a portal into the world between worlds. Sort of a portal into the force. In there he hears all kinds of voices (We know to be quotes/clips from all the films including rogue one and force awakens) and there’s the all these portals he sees out into different times and events past and future.
    Palpatine is trying to get access into this world between worlds (he doesn’t on the end) so it’s not time travel but it kind of is.
    Doubt it will ever happen onscreen.
    Red letter media did one of their dumb videos this week suggesting as much so they could retcon last Jedi. And of course all the clickbait sites are running it as news.
    You’ll never see time travel in Star Wars I don’t believe.

Yeah, I asked because the red letter media video was literally the post before mine :) I like their candour TBH, they feel more honest than most talking heads on YouTube and less eager to cultivate controversy or clickbait. Your mileage may vary of course (and wouldn't agree with them on a lot, such as Discovery, but Mike is a huge Trek nerd).

Time travel in SW though feels... like a slippery slope, especially if as you're saying it's technically canon. Magical time travel though, yeesh. Personal preference but "magic" is best left out of Star Wars, beyond keeping it an abstract "Force". But then that ship is sailed...

Yeah, I asked because the red letter media video was literally the post before mine :) I like their candour TBH, they feel more honest than most talking heads on YouTube and less eager to cultivate controversy or clickbait. Your mileage may vary of course (and wouldn't agree with them on a lot, such as Discovery, but Mike is a huge Trek nerd).

Time travel in SW though feels... like a slippery slope, especially if as you're saying it's technically canon. Magical time travel though, yeesh. Personal preference but "magic" is best left out of Star Wars, beyond keeping it an abstract "Force". But then that ship is sailed...

The above video is the closest they’ve come. It won’t happen on the Big screen.

(I didn’t see the RLM video above your post haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Keeping this thread in sync..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Advertisement