Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mark Kermode - the Secrets of Cinema on BBC Four

• 06-07-2018 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this might be more useful here rather than on the BBC Four TV forum thread - 1 hour x 5 parts starting July 17th

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2018/29/mark-kermodes-secrets-of-cinema
    In a major new five-part series on BBC Four, Mark Kermode presents a richly entertaining personal guide to cinema, told through some of the most popular film genres, including rom-coms, heist movies, science fiction and more.

With his trademark blend of wit, passion and strong opinion, Mark explores the film-making techniques and storytelling secrets of an eclectic selection of movies - from Hollywood classics to the best of global cinema and from big budget blockbusters to art-house gems.

Mark will focus on a single well loved genre in each episode. He’ll examine a wide range of films and uncover the key elements they all share, while showing how film-makers have put on their own spin to keep these genres thriving - and to keep audiences coming back for more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Here's betting, one of those parts will be about 'The Exorcist' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Tony EH wrote: »
    Here's betting, one of those parts will be about 'The Exorcist' :pac:
    Only one part you say? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thanks for the reminder; should be interesting, feels like Kermode doesn't make as many documentaries as he used to - or at least as many I think he used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Rom-coms in the first episode... Have a feeling that the last episode will hit the horror genre head on... The fear of god documentary he did on The Exorcist is great viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Only one part you say? :p

Silent Running will be another. Then the other three will be a mix of Silent Running and The Exorcist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given his frequent admission about having a 'tin ear for comedy' (his words), I wonder if any episode will discuss Comedy-on-Film. It'd definitely be one genre I'm a bit slower to take his thoughts on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Secrets of Cinemaw.

*flaps hands*

Should be good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bump for tonight.

Interesting choice of accompanying film for the first part - Move Over, Darling (1963) which I saw many years ago and remember it being pretty good. It would have been so easy to have gone for some ****e romcom from the last 15-20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I never watched any of Mark Kermode's documentaries before but I have to say that this is excellent stuff from him so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bump for tonight.

Interesting choice of accompanying film for the first part - Move Over, Darling (1963) which I saw many years ago and remember it being pretty good. It would have been so easy to have gone for some ****e romcom from the last 15-20 years.
    Yeah that's a good choice, Doris day is a great lead.
    If going for an oldie I would go for bringing up baby myself so snappy brilliant dialogue.

Really liked first episode. I love splash as well I have to say :)

• Advertisement

I'm rather surprised they went with romantic comedies first if only as it's not what one associates with the host and might have lost some of the, ahem "fan boys".

Heist movies next week which is much more up my street I have to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm rather surprised they went with romantic comedies first if only as it's not what one associates with the host and might have lost some of the, ahem "fan boys".

Heist movies next week which is much more up my street I have to say :)
    Yeah I thought it was a good choice though and it was really well put together.

Kermode is bound to leave horror for the last episode so he can rave about the exorcist.

I also expect silent running to be crow barred in somewhere.

Also RE the rom coms, four weddings is a really excellent film, despite Andie McDowell being absolutely bloody useless in it.

I thought the first episode was very good. I would agree with the movie after the first episode. Move Over Darling! was a great choice for the movie tonight. If they had a classic heist movie after next week's episode; probably a themed movie each Tuesday night will be a good idea for linking with the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭brevity

Really enjoying this series.

Have to say this has been only meh for me. Not what I thought it was going to be. I haven't really learned anything new from it. Last Tuesday's "Sci-Fi" was ok. But, again, nothing great. Next week is 'The Exorcist' Horror episode and the final one. But, I don't think I'm going to get much from that either.

All very bland really. Shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hard to take someone who thinks that The Exorcist is the greatest movie ever made seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Bring back Moviedrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

March 19th is the return date for the first of three episodes which are then airing weekly thereafter. Very excited.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

fryup wrote: »
    Hard to take someone who thinks that The Exorcist is the greatest movie ever made seriously

Ah I don't think that's fair - it's impossible not to pick up his passion for films when you hear him talking abou The Exorcist, and while I might not agree with him he makes a good case for why The Exorcist is for him the best movie ever made.

I don't generally follow his reviews, but I enjoy Kermode's more general stuff on film because he's passionate and knowledgeable.

Looking forward to seeing the second season of this - I particularly liked how he had to skew the romance movies episode to include thrillers to keep his interest :D

• Advertisement

Starts again for three episodes this week.

The 1st episode of this series is about Superheroes.

The 1st episode of this series is about Superheroes.

Not bad.

Forget how stupid the ending of 'Superman' was. :pac:

Advertisement