Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD or Trinity

Options
  • 06-07-2018 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Which school is less liberal/left wing/''snowflake''.

My dream is to go to Trinity as it seems amazing, but UCD is just as good in my eyes. I personally hold right wing views and I am a fan of such people such as Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Donald Trump etc.
    (Feel free to ask me why if you like..)

But I dont want to go to a university where I cant speak my mind and express my views without getting screamed at by 20 ''non binary'' people with dyed blue hair and being called a Nazi. I dont want that.

Please help as I will be applying in 6 months.. Thanks a lot

Which one is less left wing/''snowflake'' 10 votes

Trinity College Dublin (TCD)
    20%
    JDDEkerot 2 votes
    University College Dublin (UCD)
    80%
    godtabhSCOOP 64codrulzKathnoraDubCountDeep_learningqistinasyazul154lm0 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

preacher2 wrote:

Be ta Jaysis!

Trump university is probably what you re looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I doubt you'd find a lot of people like yourself at either one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

preacher2 wrote: »

My dream is to go to Trinity as it seems amazing, but UCD is just as good in my eyes. I personally hold right wing views and I am a fan of such people such as Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Donald Trump etc.

But I dont want to go to a university where I cant speak my mind and express my views without getting screamed at by 20 ''non binary'' people with dyed blue hair and being called a Nazi. I dont want that.

This made me laugh out loud...Kids these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

So you want freedom of speech for you, but not others???
    Does the Iona Institute have an educational wing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

Try_harder wrote: »
    So you want freedom of speech for you, but not others???
    Does the Iona Institute have an educational wing???

Ahh you see, typical ignorant perspective.

Nowhere did I say I dont want to hear other opinions. Nowhere did I say I just want to hear my own views.

You people should really look at the current state of international universities. You cant speak your mind, you cant wear clothing from other countries without being labelled ''racist''. If a white man tries to even input his opinion he is ''mansplaining''. If a guy sits down the way males do, he is ''manspreading'', if I have a different opinion to a black person, I have ''white - privilege'', if I have a different opinion to a women, I have ''male - privilege''. I am blamed for the problems of the world due to my color and due to my sex. Basically, white men are blamed for the oppression of women years ago, and for the oppression of black people in the States.

If you oldies dont believe me on how big of an issue this is and just want to be toxic and not offer any sort of help or decent opinion on the matter, I suggest you watch these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj4XjW9GlvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uEbK6s72TY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqiFzbv89qU

• Advertisement

Ahh you see, typical ignorant perspective.

Nowhere did I say I dont want to hear other opinions. Nowhere did I say I just want to hear my own views.

You people should really look at the current state of international universities. You cant speak your mind, you cant wear clothing from other countries without being labelled ''racist''. If a white man tries to even input his opinion he is ''mansplaining''. If a guy sits down the way males do, he is ''manspreading'', if I have a different opinion to a black person, I have ''white - privilege'', if I have a different opinion to a women, I have ''male - privilege''. I am blamed for the problems of the world due to my color and due to my sex. Basically, white men are blamed for the oppression of women years ago, and for the oppression of black people in the States.

If you oldies dont believe me on how big of an issue this is and just want to be toxic and not offer any sort of help or decent opinion on the matter, I suggest you watch these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj4XjW9GlvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uEbK6s72TY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqiFzbv89qU

ive been a student in some of our educational institutions, including both you mentioned, dont mind the nonsense you ve been told, or what you ve 'learned', its truly nonsense, both institutions you mentioned are fantastic. 'unlearn' all that crap in your head and enjoy your life, im sure either institution will be fine for furthering your education

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ive been a student in some of our educational institutions, including both you mentioned, dont mind the nonsense you ve been told, or what you ve 'learned', its truly nonsense, both institutions you mentioned are fantastic. 'unlearn' all that crap in your head and enjoy your life, im sure either institution will be fine for furthering your education

Thank you, finally an actual decent answer.

Glad to see it hasnt really been pushed onto Irish institutions... thanks very much for your answer really helps ...

Thank you, finally an actual decent answer.

Glad to see it hasnt really been pushed onto Irish institutions... thanks very much for your answer really helps ...

id personally prefer ucd as the campus is much bigger, has a lot of green areas and the sports complex is exceptional, which includes a small cinema. theres nothing wrong with trinity at all, i enjoyed my time there but my opinion above still stands. what do you hope to study?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id personally prefer ucd as the campus is much bigger, has a lot of green areas and the sports complex is exceptional, which includes a small cinema. theres nothing wrong with trinity at all, i enjoyed my time there but my opinion above still stands. what do you hope to study?

Ah I see.. I guess I would also prefer being out of the city. The city is too busy for me sometimes, especially when Im tired... lol

I want to do either law or history/ancient history....

I will take law if I get it as it seems the most beneficial, but I figure I will enjoy ancient history a lot more, it just doesnt seem like there are a lot of jobs which demand this degree. Not to say that you cant do say, a law conversion course or something....

What did you study if you dont mind me asking?

preacher2 wrote:
    I will take law if I get it as it seems the most beneficial, but I figure I will enjoy ancient history a lot more, it just doesnt seem like there are a lot of jobs which demand this degree. Not to say that you cant do say, a law conversion course or something....

Law probably would give you better working opportunities but my own personal opinion on education is, do what you really wanna do, as you may regret it later in life, as life tends to have strange twists and turns as you get older, but be aware, this approach can cause issues, one being working opportunities. It's important to enjoy what you study, I've met many working in fields that have no relation to their qualifications, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, as you said, it could be possible to do a conversation course later.

Maybe take a trip to both campuses, it would be extremely quiet now, so might be nice to visit, and maybe visit again during term, just be aware, late August/early September is kinna madness, but might be worth a visit. Get chatting to students, see what you think, might help with decisions.

Funding will also need to be considered, college really isn't cheap, don't rule out other educational institutions either, I've also been in a couple of IT's, and I've no real complaints.

Science and engineering background here, so can't really advise you on your chosen fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Why? Are you a snowflake that can't handle that other people have differing views from you??? If your opinions are so steadfast, surely you have logical and worthwhile arguments to counter alternative views and would not shy away from hearing others express theirs-unless you're a snowflake?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OP there is little of any of this in Irish universities and by "current state of international universities" where are you talking about? I've taught in universities in Ireland, Sweden, Italy, France, Britain and several other EU countries and none of this is really the case. It's very much a Canadian and American thing.

Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

preacher2 wrote:
    My dream is to go to Trinity as it seems amazing, but UCD is just as good in my eyes. I personally hold right wing views and I am a fan of such people such as Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Donald Trump etc. (Feel free to ask me why if you like..)

preacher2 wrote:

preacher2 wrote:

preacher2 wrote:

In another six months of maturation you may see how silly this is. In another six months you may have a different set of concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

OP, just to weigh in a Trinity law student, college is all about freedom of opinions and speech but they're are limits to that and from your posts I feel like you might have issues with respecting those limits.

Trinity is definitely an incredibly liberal place and I can say first-hand that the law students are quite possibly some of the most liberal students on campus. One trip from Nigel Farage this year caused controversy and student protests (https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nigel-farage-trinity-college-dublin-speech-racist-xenophobia-no-platform-millennials-shut-down-a8190841.html). That said there are of course some more conservative students at Trinity. Take a look at the Burkean Journal, for example, although I'm unsure at how successful they are: http://trinitynews.ie/the-burkean-journal-would-be-dangerous-if-it-were-any-good/.

I imagine most other colleges are pretty similar OP. So either way you're not going to be abused for having conservative views. As long as you're respectful of others, you'll be respected too. But please realise you have to be respectful. It's completely possibly to get along with people who have different views to you, just go in with an open mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If you ignore Student Union politics or any of the political societies, you can happily complete your course without any drama. If you want to get into a ruck about politics, there will be plenty to oblige you.

Most people will be more interested in football, GAA, rugby, TV and beer (and their exams of course!)

I went to UCD. I think it's a fine campus with good degrees. I'd say Trinity has a better reputation for Law and Literature, while UCD would have a strong name for Business and Engineering.

The funniest thing you will see is this....

Student comes up from Cork or Roscommon with their local accent. Within six months, many of them are more D4 than the D4 heads. Their own parents can't even recognise them :)

Long story short - both are fine universities. Most students don't care about the Student Union politics and pretentious teenagers launching their future careers as TDs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The funniest thing you will see is this....

Student comes up from Cork or Roscommon with their local accent. Within six months, many of them are more D4 than the D4 heads. Their own parents can't even recognise them :)
    Yep, the "howaya lads!" who morph into Ross O'Carroll-Kellys are funny as fk! :pac:

Especially when it's the end of the night, they've had a couple of beers too many and they unconsciously swim between the two! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Hi I'm in UCD atm and judging by what my friend in TCD says, it's alot more sjw over there, I'd recommend coming here. It's not as bad is all I can guarantee.

I'd also recommend understanding why people hate Milo and Trump, they're both hacks.

I really, really want to know where OP ended up...

This is gold 😭

Advertisement