Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

blackbird, the new movie from michael flatley

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Eric Roberts would act in a primary school nativity play at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Pelvis wrote: »
    A brush with cancer hasn't cured that mans nasty streak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Pelvis wrote: »
    Eric Roberts would act in a primary school nativity play at this stage.
    How dare you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PczEE2bcCbM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I saw this mentioned on Twitter yesterday and went looking for it on IMDb. I couldn't find it so I looked up Eric Robert's upcoming films instead. lol. I counted about 60 films that are due out in the next 2 or 3 years. Busy guy, probably too busy to read the scripts.

Anyway, Flatley self-financed this. He's also credited as director, though in most of the behind the scene photos on IMDb there's clearly someone else directing mixed in with a bunch of glossy photos of Flatley.

Another ego trip, no doubt, like everything Flatley does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't read of a cinematic ego-trip that blatant since the FIFA-funded 'United Passions' (starring Tim Roth as Sepp Blatter). I'll be honest and have a strong curiosity to see a trailer. Flatley may have inadvertently drawn a huge amount of ridicule, though his ego is probably bulletproof.

Shades of the Garth Merenghi & Darkplace about the venture, just shows the best comedy comes from a source of truth.

And Eric Roberts! Man, his debts must make Nicholas Cage blush, or else just has the ultimate 'f*ck it, why not' attitude. First time I've read of or thought about Patrick Bergin - now there's a name from the past.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    A brush with cancer hasn't cured that mans nasty streak.

He's a bully TBH, don't you dare criticise any of his work. It gets personal very fast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Note how it features a woman (Nicole Evans) prominently on the poster, but deems her unworthy of a top line credit :pac:

Honestly; if I had the money I wouldn't give a feck and rock on too. Serenity sequel with a minor role or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

He's also credited as director, though in most of the behind the scene photos on IMDb there's clearly someone else directing mixed in with a bunch of glossy photos of Flatley.

That's the assistant director. Flatley is directing it, he's just probably not very good and not technically proficient enough to do it himself .
    It might be his first feature film, but he's directed all his stage shows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Effects wrote: »
    That's the assistant director. Flatley is directing it, he's just probably not very good and not technically proficient enough to do it himself .
    It might be his first feature film, but he's directed all his stage shows.

According to IMDb it's the producer who also happens to have a bunch of directing credits.

I'm not doubting that Flatley is really in charge, he paid for it after all, but directing a stage show is not the same thing as directing a film, so I assume he has a ghost director.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Think I seen a documentary about this. I think it was called "the room".

This has been around for some time, saw some images from it last year and wasn't quite sure if it was a joke or not, much as an ego inflated twat as Flatley is he's not beyond poking fun of himself as evident from the mockumentary he made about himself years ago that the Blizzard of Odd picked apart.

For someone like Roberts, I assume that much like Madsen and Sizemore he keeps himself busy because he's an addict. All three have had pretty big issues with addiction and working nonstop is a great way to not put yourself in a position where you have time to stop and think. A couple years back I was looking at the cost of getting people like Roberts in a film and it's not that expensive at all, they may do utter trash but their name still sells films and a lot of foreign distributors will pick a film up based on the B movie cast.

As for the female star not getting a credit, it's hardly unusual that some no-name actress isn't listed above the title, nor is it sexist as I saw someone describe it earlier.

Also, does anyone remember a time when Graham Linehan was funny? On twitter he comes across like a self-entitled egotistical arsehole who craves constant attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If it's a success he can get a new White Rhino horn for the mantelpiece!

They've got the wrong Bergin too, it's Dick Byrne or nothing!
    Also, love the fact they stuck a pretty lady on the poster but not her name. Classic Flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Graham Linehan is a nasty piece of work.

Look at all the crap about the lady in the poster.

It's hardly unique that people are featured in promotional material without getting billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

directing a stage show is not the same thing as directing a film, so I assume he has a ghost director.

Yeah, and Flatley wants all the directing credit so the AD is down as producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

The movie poster looks a bit like those DIY hand painted posters from Ghana.

You could see Flatley inventing his own genre - next time he's a cop stuck in a skyscraper controlled by terrorist bank robbers, followed by a sci fi epic where he learns mysterious magic and blows up a space station !

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Flately's labour of Bond love :p straight to VOD if anyone will distribute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Note how it features a woman (Nicole Evans) prominently on the poster, but deems her unworthy of a top line credit :pac:
    Yes, this is something everyone cares deeply about. Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any update on this? Article in Irish Times about it today saying he should release it now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/why-is-michael-flatley-s-spy-movie-getting-so-much-flak-1.4230416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

War crime at a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

War crime at a time like this.

It could be just what we need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Well now...

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/michael-flatley-blackbird-monaco-festival-1235011621/
    Michael Flatley, the Irish dance phenomenon best known for “Lord of the Dance,” will open the Monaco Streaming Film Festival with his directorial debut, “Blackbird.”

Flatley, who wrote and financed the project, also stars in it as retired MI6 operative-turned-Barbados hotelier Victor Blackley. After a familiar agent — and romantic interest — turns up at his establishment, Blackley finds himself subsumed back into his old life, with potentially devastating consequences for millions of people if his mission fails.

Screening this evening, looking forward to reading the reviews!

I wanna see it, for the absolute sh1t and giggles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Look, I won't deny, I'm way more excited for this than is reasonable.

But... like. What if it's good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    But... like. What if it's good?

Ive never been more sure of anything in my life than this film inevitably being *very* not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I still doubt it's ever going to go on general release, mind.

Before mainstream TV was on the wain, I would grudgingly accord Blackbird movie with "Straight to TV" (from production) with no cinematic release privilege.

I suppose SKY cinema will carry it, considering it's support of "Riverdance the animated film" hype

• Advertisement

Ive never been more sure of anything in my life than this film inevitably being *very* not good.

Hey; there are literally hundreds of threads, on this very forum, where people are dismissed in their opinions because they have not seen a film...

Advertisement