Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2018 Purchases.(Gift, decorations, food,etc)

• 17-06-2018 5:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm starting this thread so we can share of purchases for Christmas 2018. Some might say it's early but I'm sure some of ye have started all ready.
    It will also be helpful to share the deals we might pick up along the way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Great thread! I am off to a great start I have cleared out a drawer at home for the gifts.
    I have my list done up and I have 13 people left to buy for.

I have 10 gifts in.

Nephew - a t-rex toy (heatons reduced to 7.50)
    Candle sticks from carraigh Donn - reduced to 7.50
    I picked up 5 lynx sets today for 4 euro each.
    I also got a man hamper for my dad reduced to 10 pounds in a local chemist.
    My sister is obsessed with lavender (weirdo) But she is getting a grow your own plant. A travel hair straightener and a selection of body creams and soap.
    I have a Moroccan cook book in for my mam.

In terms of santa I have a frozen tent from Lidl reduced to 12 pounds and I got a parachute from amazon last week. (She will prob get the parachute before xmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Disney store have a sale on at the min!

I know a friend texted me to let me know about the Disney shop sale I picked my little one up a personalised minny mouse tracksuit

Also picked up her main santa gift one of those little tike coupe cars in pink reduced in price and with a discount code I got it for 40 euro

Tesco are doing deals on Crayola until July 11th:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=crayola

Would do as stocking fillers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just back from a 2 wk holiday to “The White Mountains” in NH and visited The Christmas Loft ( was there years ago when I was a kid ) oh my Jesus I could have gone crazy!
    It was a Christmas wonderland blasting Christmas music whilst temps outside were hitting 26 degrees. Spent about 120$ on Christmas ornaments and it has got me back in the mood for December. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0k5lgZML3E

Hubby is not a big Christmas fan but got in to the spirit and picked this for the tree. Needless to say it will prob end up at the back of the tree :-D https://christmasloft.com/budweiser-cans-with-bow-ornament/

• Advertisement

I posted off a few of my little girls Christmas baby grows today to made with love bears to get a Christmas stocking made for her I cant wait to see it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Love that Ciara! Sounds beautiful! Can you post a photo of it when you get it please? :D

I got nephews' Christmas presents sorted in Next sales. Will get those Crayola's tomorrow if I remember

Love that Ciara! Sounds beautiful! Can you post a photo of it when you get it please? :D

Of course I will I sent a real mismatch of stuff so we shall see how it turns out. I will love it either way. I am going to treat myself to a small blanket made out of her babygrows as a christmas treat also.

Just got this Bugs Bunny ornament in the post this morning! Think I’m gonna be driven demented as my 4 year old is already playing it on a continuous loop!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjOOFDwdvY

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ordered another present last night online. One more ticked off the list! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I ordered 3 WiFi plugs online for cheap too thanks to bargain alerts.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057901944/22/#post107995329

I have one already They’re great for using for Christmas lights in the window and the Christmas tree lights and lamps.

We have the remote control sockets - I love them! Think we got them in Lidl last year or the year before. Great for the Christmas tree! No routing in the back to turn off the lights and nearly bringing the bugger down with you :P We use ours all year round for our sitting room lights too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    We have the remote control sockets - I love them! Think we got them in Lidl last year or the year before. Great for the Christmas tree! No routing in the back to turn off the lights and nearly bringing the bugger down with you :P We use ours all year round for our sitting room lights too

I have four of them as well. :D

I’m getting even lazier now as the WiFi ones can be switched off with Alexa :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Do you need Alexa to work the wifi plugs or can  you do it from your phone?  I have an android phone.  I tried the remote control ones before and they were a complete disaster - never worked correctly - maybe I was unlucky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Dad: tickets to the champions cup final
    Two sisters: tickets to Les Mis
    Girlfriend's mam: Esteé Lauder perfume
    Sister boyfriend a: Tickets to the Munster/Leinster game
    Sister boyfriend b: Liverpool jacket

Haven't decided yet on my Mam, girlfriend or girlfriend's sister.

troyzer wrote: »
    Dad: tickets to the champions cup final
    Two sisters: tickets to Les Mis
    Girlfriend's mam: Esteauder perfume
    Sister boyfriend a: Tickets to the Munster/Leinster game
    Sister boyfriend b: Liverpool jacket

Haven't decided yet on my Mam, girlfriend or girlfriend's sister.

Jaysus with gifts like that can I be a part of your family!

Those are very generous presents!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Loughc wrote: »
    Jaysus with gifts like that can I be a part of your family!

Those are very generous presents!

Not really. They're all around the €50 mark except for my dad. I'm 25, I don't have any kids or nieces/nephews to buy for. I also don't really have any close cousins.

This is actually a small christmas for us. €100 a head was normal for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

LOL Surprise House pre order Secured from Amazon, £179... Glad I won't have to deal with any madness trying to get it in the run up to Christmas.

Just tried to buy my Ravensburger Christmas jigsaw on Amazon - they won't ship it to Ireland or Northern Ireland - so even Parcel Motel Address is not working :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Just tried to buy my Ravensburger Christmas jigsaw on Amazon - they won't ship it to Ireland or Northern Ireland - so even Parcel Motel Address is not working :(:(:(:(

Try AnPost address pal, there warehouse is a mainland uk address I think.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/

• Advertisement

2 more presents off the list today, plus a few stocking fillers.

Well on track to be done by mid-September. :)

Try AnPost address pal, there warehouse is a mainland uk address I think.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/
    Thank you, thank you, thank you Lord Spence - that worked a treat.  I didn't realise their address was UK mainland - that is good to know.  Delivery is on it's way :-) :-) :-)

Cox & Cox in the UK have had their Christmas decorations available for a while. From memory they usually drop in price during Dec as they start to clear things. I saw a few bargains last year which I didn’t act upon!
    https://www.coxandcox.co.uk/search/go?w=Christmas

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm so happy with the Gorilla Gym I found. S is asking for computer parts to build his own computer from Santa and he isn't going to get a chance to build it on Christmas morning. I want him to have a nice quiet day to really take his time over building and getting to use it. And that won't be Christmas day or even the first few days after as they are just too hectic. So it's important that he has something really, really fun for Christmas morning. I have a few great toy surprises that he can play with but it's 50/50 that they would fully distract him if he really wanted to get at the computer. But the Gorilla Gym will (I believe/think/hope) wow him so much that he'll mostly forget everything else. I've gotten him the swing, trapeze bar, gymnastic rings and I'm going to go for a full yoga cocoon as well. I don't even think he knows that such a cool thing exists, so being able to do all that stuff should be the most exciting thing in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

Wow, Littlewoods have some gorgeous bits and pieces! :)

I have most people bought for. Just have my husband, best friend and the work KK left to buy for :)

Got another few little bits in the last few days:
    - Cereal Killer spoon for my brother
    - Crazy Cat Lady mug for my sister
    - 1000pc jigsaw for Mr. CL - I'm hoping we can do it together in the evenings when the kids are in bed
    - Cinderella & Toystory DVDs for the kiddos
    - Twas the Night Before Christmas book for the kids.

I'm thinking I might do a Christmas Eve box this year. We (I) are planning on having family matching Christmas PJs so I was thinking that I'd put them in the box with some treats and the Night Before Christmas book.

Apart from a couple of vouchers I'll get nearer the time for expiry date reasons, I've officially finished all my Christmas shopping this week, including stocking fillers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    Apart from a couple of vouchers I'll get nearer the time for expiry date reasons, I've officially finished all my Christmas shopping this week, including stocking fillers. :D

We're way behind this year. Have not a single thing bought, wil be waiting until October to do the bulk of it now by the looks of it. Kids havent declared or even hinted at what they want & teasing it out is proving to be futile at the moment... hope that changes soon!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

Hi Everyone

Would just like to get everyones opinion on getting gifts. Do you prefer to buy gifts from your own ideas or do you try to get people on your list to say what they would like as gifts. Personally I prefer not to know before xmas morning what I am going to receive but my OH always wants to know beforehand.

I would just like to see what way other people do this?

Advertisement