Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something in my Garden

• 25-06-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

In the car maintenance forum there is a popular thread called "Today I did something to my car"

I'm proposing a similar thread for gardening that the mods might consider making a sticky! Please give a THANKS if you think this is a good idea.

I'll kick it of with:

Today I picked my redcurrants. They seem to have been early this year. They mostly ripen together but I will get a handful more over the next week. I have a small bush in a dodgy location but I got a couple of hundred grams that will make some nice jelly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just a little bit of weeding and watering today. Distracted by world cup after work so not a great job made with either. Storing up some energy for rescuing a new hedge from undergrowth tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I watered the tomato plant, that will be the only entry on most days this summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Did a bit of dead heading and watering. Waited till this evening as it was so hot out today!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭milout

Looked at the grass, cursed at having so much of it, decided it was to hot to mow.

Did treat the recently planted magnolia to a water though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Today I watered the 5 horse chestnut trees I replanted after growing them from Conkers that came off a 140 year old tree in my Mam's garden.

I have a human child that doesn't get the same level of care and attention.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tried digging up the first of the garlic as they've been yellowing a bit for a week or two. disappointingly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The stormy weather recently knocked the only apples off my tree. I hadn't been keeping on eye on it because of that.

Checked at the weekend and there were a lot of aphids and ants. I mean a lot. Some branches were covered near the tip. I took a spray bottle and my hands and sprayed and squashed all of them. Dyed my hands green doing it. I think it was a mixture of aphids and the leaves. Very hard to clean it off.

Is this where 'green fingers' came from? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Took photos of all my borders so I'll remember where I need to plant stuff in the autumn.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Watered everything.
    Picked the ripe black currants and strawberries.
    Weeded.

Today I'll do the above but also...
    eat the first peas of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

Today I hacked back a load of blackthorn that would routinely scrape me while mowing the grass.

It didn't give up without drawing blood - my forearms are in shreds!

I also watered my apple tree - its leaves look a bit grey (mildew?). Probably a waste of time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Today my daughter shouted with delight, "Theres apples on the tree!".

Must have been about 12+ years ago when my first daughter and myself planted some pips from apples we were eating. We planted them in paper cups and watched the seedlings appear, and then we repotted them when they were bigger.

Then we moved house 11 years ago and we planted them in the garden.

And today we discovered there were little apples growing. One of those amazing moments that money could never buy. It's been a great day in our garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭milout

Unboxed and assembled my new garden hose, admired it briefly then popped it into the garage until it rains again.

I'm winning at this gardening business.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gingermac

Planted some new fruit trees, dead headed the roses, thought about a new border...resisted buying a lot of plants I do not need, but would love, at the local garden centre.

Tried to save a plant by cutting off all its half dead flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I pulled and chopped out weeds from my new wildflower border type bed. It looks all airy now, less full looking, but the flowers stand out a bit more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Wheety wrote: »
    I took a spray bottle and my hands and sprayed and squashed all of them. Dyed my hands green doing it. I think it was a mixture of aphids and the leaves. Very hard to clean it off.

Is this where 'green fingers' came from? :D
    I've been having the same problem with squashing the tiny red spider mite type thingies!
    Pulled the scallions and a lot of the beetroot as we are going to be away for a bit and they will have bolted otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Finally got to use my chainsaw for the first time.

Now there's one less Cordyline in the world. And space for my shed build. Woohoo!

gplus5892499093787579417.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you going to dig the root out?
    i think it was a cordyline i dug up (had been killed back to ground level by the bad winter in 2010), but had started to sprout again when we bought out place. was a massive tap root on it - looked like a 3 foot long parsnip, about a foot wide at the widest.

No, I was just going to cut it down to ground level as the shed is going to sit up on ground screws.

Didn't realise they can regenerate. Maybe I should treat the stump.

Lumen wrote: »
    No, I was just going to cut it down to ground level as the shed is going to sit up on ground screws.

Didn't realise they can regenerate. Maybe I should treat the stump.

Definitely seen Cordyline resprout again from the ground after being cut down and knocked over. There is a really nice one just outside the front door of my aunts house and it is great to see it flower in the summer so close to the house. Might not be a bad thing if it respouts near the shed as you would not have any foundations to worry about, but I guess it depends on weather the stump is directly under the shed or just near to it.

• Advertisement

macraignil wrote: »
    I guess it depends on whether the stump is directly under the shed or just near to it.

Yeah, right under, dead centre.

Brushwood killer on the stump?

Lumen wrote: »
    Yeah, right under, dead centre.

Brushwood killer on the stump?

I read before the best approach was to drill a few holes in the centre of the stump and add caustic soda.

macraignil wrote: »
    I read before the best approach was to drill a few holes in the centre of the stump and add caustic soda.
    Ah. I just realised I have an open bag of hydrated lime I used to repair the driveway. If it works on corpses it ought to work on tree stumps, right?

edit: further research suggests that lime delays decay, so presumably bad people use it stop animals digging up the bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Got down on my hands and knees and pulled wild growth and weeds. The following morning I was full of aches and pains. I always overdo things. A little often but never can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

A bit of dead heading and swept the patio. It's amazing how many cobwebs build up and all the leaves and petals that get stuck in them!! Washed down the garden furniture too :) With a bucket and cloth, not a hose!!:D

Just pulled a load of long grass within cages surrounding a couple of trees and shrubs I have to protect from my dog. Hateful job. Cages too small to get in with the strimmer and the grass has enveloped the bottom of the cages meaning they wont lift out without bending and buckling.

Like and idiot I sliced the base of my thumb with the secateurs while I was at it and all. Bad start to the day.

sieved some compost from the compost bin yesterday - had dug it out and left it stand in the shade for a day or two to allow the worms to escape. was a little disheartening to see how many teabags i had to pull out of it. far more plastic in them than i'd suspected, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

sieved some compost from the compost bin yesterday - had dug it out and left it stand in the shade for a day or two to allow the worms to escape. was a little disheartening to see how many teabags i had to pull out of it. far more plastic in them than i'd suspected, obviously.

There was a list going that had who uses what in their teabags. I think Pukka had fully compostable bags. Most of them use polypropylene in the mesh.
    Fecked if I can find it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Installed Philips Hue Smart lights in my garden.
    Philips have just released a new outdoor range of their popular smart lights. I installed 5 of the ‘Lily’ spots.

The lights are fully controllable from smart phones as well as wireless sensors & dimmer switches, and go through all colours as well as warm to cold whites.

Im still playing around with placement to give the best effect, but so far I’m really impressed, photos don’t do them nearly enough justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

Just pulled a load of long grass within cages surrounding a couple of trees and shrubs I have to protect from my dog. Hateful job. Cages too small to get in with the strimmer and the grass has enveloped the bottom of the cages meaning they wont lift out without bending and buckling.

Like and idiot I sliced the base of my thumb with the secateurs while I was at it and all. Bad start to the day.

I have similar issues with my cages that protect young trees from the deer.

I hope that cut heals up quickly - nasty spot to get it.

Advertisement