Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which is correct

Options
  • 04-07-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

So a sentence came up today and I was wondering which is the correct way of saying it. Now basically the sentence was a bit of a rude joke so to tidy it up. So these are completely random words I was just wondering what is the correct way of saying it.

"Me and the Astro turf is like Apples and Oranges, they just don't go"

Should that be "the Astro and I are like" or how would you correctly say this,

Many thanks,

BOHtox

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

"Me and the AstroTurf" is correct but it should be "are like" imo. There may be an argument that "is like" is ok when referring to "X and y" as a class but it would be regarded as unusual and awkward this side of the Atlantic.

There is often confusion in relation to the rule of putting another person ahead of yourself in a sentence like "my wife and I went to the park with the children." Due to this rule being the one people remember, it can result in people misusing "I" where the correct word is "me": "That black car belongs to my wife and me."

If you remove the other person from the sentence, it's easier to work out what word is correct. "X belongs to mem" "I went to the park."

In your example, "me and the thing" is perfect as there's no need to defer to a thing and "me" is the correct word in that particular sentence.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't quite agree - you'd replace "me and the astroturf" with "we", not "us", so I think it should be "I", not "me". I'd also use "are" because there are two subjects in the sentence (i.e. "we").

If you were to use only pronouns you'd say "We are like them", not "Us is like they".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

BOHtox wrote: »

Should that be "the Astro and I are like" or how would you correctly say this, ...

Yes, it should (apart from the fact that you seem to have lost the turf).

'Me and the Astro turf' is absolutely incorrect. Since this is the subject and not the object of the verb, 'me' is incorrect and 'I' is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Another vote for I.
    If you remove the other person from the sentence, it's easier to work out what word is correct. "X belongs to mem" "I went to the park."

Take the other person out and you get "I am like..."?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Astro turf and me are like...

Using "I" would be saying you are doing/did something the same or with etc, whilst the object pronoun is saying you are the same (inanimate object and all that)

Say both in your head and see which sounds right - you are not doing something with the astro turf (well that might be for After Hours)

hullaballoo is just as correct - not sure I agree with the reasoning

Me and astro turf are like... - no "the"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The subjects of the sentence are "The astro turf and I". "Me" would indicate the object. As for sounding right, some people think that "should of went" sounds right... :/

EDIT: Break it down like this: would you say "Me is like apples, A.T. is like oranges", or would you say "I'm like apples, A.T. is like oranges"? Grouping those words together doesn't change the fact that "I" and "A.T." are the subjects of the sentence.

New Home wrote: »
    "Me" would indicate the object.

Say what?

New Home wrote: »

Different to ops example, op is not comparing himself to the astro turf

No, he's comparing himself AND the astro turf (together - subjects of the sentence) to apples AND oranges (together - objects of the sentence).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I before me except after C?
    :)

Advertisement