Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naomh Eanna - Grand Canal Dock

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I wonder if Dublin Port would be happy to see another "historic" vessel along their quay walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,074 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Galway would have a far better market for it as a hotel and restaurant but it would be very unlikely Galway Port could allocate a permanent berthing for it, perhaps The Claddag Quay area would be an option. I would doubt it will ever operate under its own steam again, will be towed wherever it's going to be moored after it's fitted out. No dry dock in Dublin now for inspection and work below the water, not sure on nearest that could take it, probably Belfast or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hope someone goes for it but Irish people lack imagination beyond brick-and-mortar type developments.

Likewise local authorities don't really help by their lack of understanding of these sorts of projects, putting out reams of red tape like there's no tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Galway would have a far better market for it as a hotel and restaurant but it would be very unlikely Galway Port could allocate a permanent berthing for it, perhaps The Claddag Quay area would be an option. I would doubt it will ever operate under its own steam again, will be towed wherever it's going to be moored after it's fitted out. No dry dock in Dublin now for inspection and work below the water, not sure on nearest that could take it, probably Belfast or Cork.

it would depend on her condition really. she might not be in a fit enough condition to even be towed.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

M

I see the Naomh Eanna and the dock it's in now feature in the next series of Red Rock to be shown in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

it would depend on her condition really. she might not be in a fit enough condition to even be towed.

I think that there is probably a serious point there.

I suspect, at a wild guess, that she would have to be put on a barge to be extracted from Grand Canal Dock. Even then, I wonder if a barge could transit whatever lock is working.

Saw her last Monday. She is listed slightly to starboard and looking decidedly dejected.

Fair play to the chap who bought her if he can make a go of it but it looks like one hell of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Cycled past Grand Canal Dock on Friday and there is not a hint of anything being done with her.

Friday 11.08.17 - ops normal - i.e. nothing happening to N.E..

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Passed by last Friday afternoon - 25.8.17 - and there is absolutely nothing happening with her.

Even the graffiti merchants seem to have forgotten about her !

Would the owner be paying berthage to OPW or whoever owns or operates the Grand Canal Dock ? Surely she cannot be left to rest there indefinitely ?

That said, she is there so long she must be close to acquiring squatters rights (adverse possession) ! I can remember her being there around the early 1990s and even the Surfdock chaps operating a shop on board her.

Passed through GCD on Monday afternoon. Absolutely no sign of anything happening.

I was looking at the locks as I came from Sir John Rogerson's quay on my bike.
    The one nearest the city (Westmoreland ?) looks unserviceable.
    The middle one (Buckingham ?) looks serviceable. The OPW did a good job on it a few years ago.
    The one nearest the lock keeper's house (Camden ?) seems to be closed off to any navigation.

So, if Naomh Eanna is to be towed our of there on a barge (presumably the only option left) would it fit though the middle lock ?

• Advertisement

Passed GCD the other day. No apparent action to be seen with Naomh Eanna.

Passed GC Docks on Friday - absolutely nothing doing with NE.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The government might be holding on to her just incase the people of Tory Island don't accept their first offer of a new ferry . :)

27545283_1976632335910402_3221207763811068735_n_zpsjle6p3fb.jpg

M

She made a special guest appearance in tonights episode of Red Rock on TV3 :D

Passed by GDC yesterday afternoon - nothing happening with NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 UrbanVixen

I was down at Grand Canal Dock at the weekend.

Saw a number of sailing vessels there for the festival locking out of GCD. They were using the middle lock and it was a very efficient operation although they could only run one vessel through at a time. It looks like the middle lock is the only one in an operational state.

Saw NE in the distance. Apart from a tarpaulin which covered the funnel up to a few weeks ago absolutely nothing has changed.

Unless they can fit NE through that middle lock I don't know how they will get her out of the basin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

On the journal now.

There’s 6.6 million in private funding secured and they have been giving permission to berth it at custom house quay.
    28 bedrooms

ted1 wrote: »
    On the journal now.

There’s 6.6 million in private funding secured and they have been giving permission to berth it at custom house quay.
    28 bedrooms

Very interesting.

Fair play to the developer - hope it succeeds.

I am still killed with curiosity to know how they will get her out through the middle lock given that it is the only one that appears to be serviceable. I am sure that they must have measured it or come up with a salvers work around like a barge.

M

It's a lot of money to invest, I feel the history of it will be kind of lost in Dublin, would be much better having it moored in Galway. I suppose there is the link to Dublin in that it's where she was built.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There is a long way to go from a proposal to completed project. It will take a minor miracle to get this project successfully through to completion, IMHO. Definitely one to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's a lot of money to invest, I feel the history of it will be kind of lost in Dublin, would be much better having it moored in Galway. I suppose there is the link to Dublin in that it's where she was built.

SS Nomadic is in Belfast, even though it spent all of its working life in France.

It's a big investment, fair play, Irish developers don't give two hoots about historic things generally. Far easier to demolish things and start anew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Very interesting.

Fair play to the developer - hope it succeeds.

I am still killed with curiosity to know how they will get her out through the middle lock given that it is the only one that appears to be serviceable. I am sure that they must have measured it or come up with a salvers work around like a barge.

I'd guess they could take it out through the bigger lock on the eastern side.

They don't necessarily need functioning lock gates, they could shore up where the outer gate was, flood and remove the shore on the inner side to allow her float in to the lock, shore again, pump and remove the outer shore.

In any case and despite the funding, I don't see it happening given the cost, current state of the ship and lack of historical significance of it. The sooner they do something with that plot of land wedged between the Dodder and GC Basin, the better

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'd guess they could take it out through the bigger lock on the eastern side.

They don't necessarily need functioning lock gates, they could shore up where the outer gate was, flood and remove the shore on the inner side to allow her float in to the lock, shore again, pump and remove the outer shore.

In any case and despite the funding, I don't see it happening given the cost, current state of the ship and lack of historical significance of it. The sooner they do something with that plot of land wedged between the Dodder and GC Basin, the better

I would take a day off to see that operation it would be such a fascination :)

Cycled past GDC Friday evening in darkness so I couldn't see everything.

Large blue tarpaulin now over wheelhouse of the NE.

There seems to be a digger doing something beside NE.

GCD gate of eastern lock seems to have been opened. However, that side of the lock is still closed off by a "dam" that just allows passage of overspill in to lock.
    Gate at Liffey side of eastern lock has been open for years !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Some nice drone footage of her by Eoghan Redmond.

https://www.facebook.com/MVNaomhEanna/videos/579525499142380/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm sure I did my CPSC on her many moons ago. Open to correction of course

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'm sure I did my CPSC on her many moons ago. Open to correction of course

No, that was the Cill Airne, which coincidently is now located just a stones throw away and in good order.

https://www.mvcillairne.com/

M

What happened the wheelhouse, tarpaulin over it, was it damaged since it was stored?

Is anyone looking after pumping it out or is it left to it's own devices?

fergal.b wrote: »
    Some nice drone footage of her by Eoghan Redmond.

https://www.facebook.com/MVNaomhEanna/videos/579525499142380/ .

Well played - you can't beat a good aerial survey like that !

• Advertisement

Passed by yesterday pm.

There was a digger, a mobile crane and what looked two divers on site.
    They seem to be placing steel girders across the mouth of the graving dock astern of the NE.

Advertisement