Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJI Mavic Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

At full forward throttle, I struggled to stop it drifting any further away,

Don’t forget about sport mode- switching on will give you the power to fight against very strong winds if you are caught out.
    I’ve had to use it a few times where the mavic was traveling at 1 or 2 km per hour.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

ozmo wrote: »
    Don’t forget about sport mode- switching on will give you the power to fight against very strong winds if you are caught out.
    I’ve had to use it a few times where the mavic was traveling at 1 or 2 km per hour.

It was travelling at 15kmh! :eek:

I did think about that - knew I'd read about using or not using it in high winds, but couldn't quite remember the rest of the advice. With all the pinging and dinging and verbal warnings going on (and full-screen confirmation requests :mad: ) I decided that it wasn't the time to experiment with a setting I haven't used very much.

I really wish DJI would allow you to cancel all those warnings after a first acknowledgement, e.g. if you exit beginner mode (or click a cover-all disclaimer). But as it's been discussed numerous time on the DJI forum without any indication that they're listening to users, I'm not expecting anything.

It was also very frustrating to find out afterwards that the 15-20 minutes of flight before the app crashed were not logged. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

deco nate wrote: »
    Did you get any warning about it being too cold to fly?
    Gutted, I was thinking about putting mine up for a pic. But - 3 and was too afraid of it falling out of the sky. Haven't flown mine in an age between work and weather

I had it up at lunchtime and while I have no idea what temp it was, I didn't get any warnings. Been waiting for the snow like mad and especially, like yourself, seeing as I hadn't had it in the air for a while now.

Going to start uploading the vid of it now but it's 2.7G so might be tomorrow before my country broadband processes it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Flew a bit myself today- no warnings of temperature- but unusually was very windy high up when there was no wind at ground.

It can be very windy at height when calm at ground level. I usually fly about 100 meters in 2 to 4 directions to see the ground speed when up a bit. That gives you a good idea of wind speed and direction. Last thing you want is to fly out a km or 2 and be into a strong headwind coming back.

Gutted, I was thinking about putting mine up for a pic. But - 3 and was too afraid of it falling out of the sky.

That wont happen, just keep the batteries warm before using them, and they will be fine. At worst they will have a shorter flight time, so just keep an eye on the battery level in flight. But once kept warm before flight, they will likely fly as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Bruthal wrote: »
    That wont happen, just keep the batteries warm before using them, and they will be fine. At worst they will have a shorter flight time, so just keep an eye on the battery level in flight. But once kept warm before flight, they will likely fly as normal.

See , I was worried about build up of Ice on the propellers thing more than anything else in this weather

See , I was worried about build up of Ice on the propellers thing more than anything else in this weather

That would be more likely if flying in freezing fog or up though clouds in sub zero temperatures. On a clear day it would be fine.

If it starts snowing, you will land as soon as possible id say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I flew an Mavic air at 2,500m in France last week, temp was below 0. Other then warming the batteries it was grand.

Finally got yesterdays one uploaded...

2 Things:
    1) I think I need to recalibrate my gimbal - that horizon is well off kilter
    2) I really need to watch a tutorial on video editing...

smokingman wrote: »
    2) I really need to watch a tutorial on video editing...

Looks well though. The likes of that is interesting to look back at in years to come especially if we only get that type of weather every few years.

Ive footage from a radian glider from the 2010 snow. No good weather yet to get some from the mavic, which would be interesting as i`m in the same area.

Edit: Its on this forum, Here

Go pro complete with scratched lens:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I got a "low temperature" warning before taking off (every time I've flown over the last month), and a "high wind" warning once I got above 120m, which was consistent with the forecast. Cautionary tale: knowing that there was a risk of high winds (20-40kmh) I flew upwind, which was fine ... until I ascended to 300m and app crashed. :mad: In the five minutes it took to reboot the app, the aircraft drifted 1.5km downwind, i.e. now on the wrong side of me, 700-800m downwind. :eek:

Yet another reason to stick to the 120m/300m legal limits :)

At 120m though, connection with the mavic would be at more risk of being lost earlier, than at 300m altitude as it drifted further away.

Although the wind may have been stronger at 300m.

The distance as it drifted would have been visible on the radio screen. A home arrow/indicator on that screen would be handy too.

50km gusts where I am - so grounded today... pitty as I'd say it would look brilliant.

“Roll it back”

Yeah. Well within range of our local trigger-happy, boozed-up hunters! :rolleyes:

In my defence, though, when I dropped it to 30m it was reporting back an altitude of 16m below ground level. :pac:

Yeah. Well within range of our local trigger-happy, boozed-up hunters! :rolleyes:

Where do you live? Alabama?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Yeah. Well within range of our local trigger-happy, boozed-up hunters!

Just keep in mind that, given the conditions, the air corps and rescue choppers may be trying to get someone in a hurry - that's why the laws exist. They're not going to see something as small as a Mavic until they hit it.

smokingman wrote: »
    Where do you live? Alabama?
    Not quite, but the necks are just as red - https://youtu.be/QuGcoOJKXT8 (not a documentary! :pac: But way too realistic ...) (and, sorry, no subtitles either) Can't complain too much, though - their recklessness over several weekends last autumn paid for my Mavic!
    Just keep in mind that, given the conditions, the air corps and rescue choppers may be trying to get someone in a hurry - that's why the laws exist. They're not going to see something as small as a Mavic until they hit it.
    Already taken account of. The current conditions don't change anything here - we get that kind of traffic all the time (but was also one of the reasons I didn't want to be flying on the far side of the motorway where the air ambulance and police helicopters come in to land .... )

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Homer wrote: »
    Those are merely guidelines and are largely inaccurate for places like Dublin.
    The vast majority of Dublin including the coastline has a maximum height limit of 15 metres or roughly 50ft as it is either class C or class G airspace.
    Flying above 15m requires permission from the IAA. The entire coastline from Bray to skerries is covered as the coastguard regularly flies at low altitudes in that area and doesn’t want to hit a drone while trying to rescue people that need their help.
    The IAA should really make that clearer on their drone guidelines!

Is the coastline no flight zone at all? Or I can fly under 15m (talking about 40 foot area, Dun Laoghaire)? Will permit help to fly around coastline?

Am I right that the only legal way to fly above town areas - is to do registration and then by notifying aero space controlling tower?

As far as I understand the cheapest way to get cert - to learn theory myself and pass IAA Flight Test with those guys: https://safedrone.ie? Seems like FlyRyte do only package - no option to just do the test.

It is quite ridiculous that test price is like 5x of the driving test. Considering that cars are more dangerous, car price is waaaay higher than drone and people usually drive them on daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    Is the coastline no flight zone at all? Or I can fly under 15m (talking about 40 foot area, Dun Laoghaire)? Will permit help to fly around coastline?

Am I right that the only legal way to fly above town areas - is to do registration and then by notifying aero space controlling tower?

As far as I understand the cheapest way to get cert - to learn theory myself and pass IAA Flight Test with those guys: https://safedrone.ie? Seems like FlyRyte do only package - no option to just do the test.

It is quite ridiculous that test price is like 5x of the driving test. Considering that cars are more dangerous, car price is waaaay higher than drone and people usually drive them on daily basis.

Coastline and the vast majority of Dublin is maximum altitude of 15m, that includes city centre which in theory is a no fly zone as its a densely populated area anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Homer wrote: »
    Coastline and the vast majority of Dublin is maximum altitude of 15m, that includes city centre which in theory is a no fly zone as its a densely populated area anyway!

I was under impression that “urban areas” (no flight zones) are any populated areas including towns and villages. Not just Dublin city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Yes but if you take that literally (not over towns and villages) you would never get to fly as pretty much everywhere is close to a town or village lol! The main areas to avoid or at the very least excercise caution, are areas along the coastline and major urban cities where the coastguard or police helicopter could at any time be flying at altitudes easily reached by mavics and phantoms etc..

Bruthal wrote: »
    ...The distance as it drifted would have been visible on the radio screen. A home arrow/indicator on that screen would be handy too.

I got a free month of airdata(healthydrones) with my Litchi - its usually free, but the paid version gets you lots of info on the windspeeds... including direction.

This was the day I was trying to get some show shots - no plans definitely to be flying in winds like this again :O nearly 60Km/hr (36mph) :O

2zhf4gw.png

Amazing drone.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone else experiencing issues with photos and videos no longer syncing to your phone?

Took my mavic up over a wind farm on the Tipp/Laois border last week, and got some really nice shots, but unfortunately can't seem to find them, either on my phones gallery, or from within the app.

The videos saved ok, and I can view it by going in to the app, but its not within my phones gallery.

Previously, photos used to get automatically saved in a gallery on my phone called "DJI" and videos used to go into a folder called "DJI record" now neither are getting auto synced, and indeed it looks like the photos didnt save at all.

Is this happening anyone else?

Is this happening anyone else?

There is an option to disable this - could you have it turned it off?
    "Locally Cache videos during shooting".

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Is the original file saved to the SD card?

tedpan wrote: »
    Is the original file saved to the SD card?
    There is an option to disable this - could you have it turned it off?
    "Locally Cache videos during shooting".

I don't think I changed anything in my settings (maybe I did, unknowingly) will have a look this evening, a Google makes me think that it definitely isn't only me experiencing it.

One guy recommends downgrading software on both the mavic and the DJI app. Q

Will stick the SD card in the laptop and have a look this evening.

I don't think I changed anything in my settings (maybe I did, unknowingly) will have a look this evening, a Google makes me think that it definitely isn't only me experiencing it.

One guy recommends downgrading software on both the mavic and the DJI app. Will stick the SD card in the laptop and have a look this evening.

The quailty of the video on the drone is superior anyway to the cached version on the phone. The phone is only 720p with possible dropouts in signal - when the drone is 4K and not affected by signal dropouts.

Only problem is what to use to edit these huge files from the drone...

Ive been using a couple free tools to Losslessly clip and join the files - much quicker than reprocessing them - takes seconds only.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yeah I wouldnt even notice if I didnt have the cached version.. I thought that was just for reviewing local footage to find a crashed drone and capturing audio narration.. not like, actually to view.

I use Wondershare Filmora for editing, seems fast enough to edit as is them compress all the clips at the end of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

One guy recommends downgrading software on both the mavic and the DJI app.

That's terrible advice, don't downgrade anything :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

theothernt wrote: »
    That's terrible advice, don't downgrade anything :rolleyes:

if you have been running a stable and bug free firmware, and after a firmware upgrade suddenly start experiencing lots of bugs and glitches, it would be entirely reasonable, indeed even make common sense to revert back to a previous firmware.

I am sure people would prefer a device on an older version of software that was stable and worked over a glitchy one.

Advertisement