Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJI Mavic Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Well I managed to crash my mavic, and broke the gimbal damping board

https://streamable.com/l9tqw

https://imgur.com/Pln6wWo
    Pln6wWo

https://imgur.com/3DVSiVp
    3DVSiVp

I've been watching some YouTube videos on replacing the part, has anyone here tried it yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

v10 wrote: »
    Well I managed to crash my mavic, and broke the gimbal damping board

https://streamable.com/l9tqw

https://imgur.com/Pln6wWo
    Pln6wWo

https://imgur.com/3DVSiVp
    3DVSiVp

I've been watching some YouTube videos on replacing the part, has anyone here tried it yet ?

Crashed mine a while after getting it meself but thankfully only pushed the board past that lip. Went crazy looking at those same videos and it does look doable as long as you keep track of everything.

smokingman wrote: »
    Crashed mine a while after getting it meself but thankfully only pushed the board past that lip. Went crazy looking at those same videos and it does look doable as long as you keep track of everything.

Yeah I think so, I’ll try pick up the part tomorrow and give it a go.

Yeah I think so, I’ll try pick up the part tomorrow and give it a go.
    Well replaced that part, wasn't too difficult. But camera gimbal won't move and calibration fails so there's obviously more damage to cables or motors. I've booked it in for repair with DJI :(

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Well replaced that part, wasn't too difficult. But camera gimbal won't move and calibration fails so there's obviously more damage to cables or motors. I've booked it in for repair with DJI :(

Good luck with that. UPS lost mine when returned for repair (1 month old, gimbal motor overload). DJI were a nightmare to deal with. It only got resolved when I started complaining on their online forum. They sent a replacement but it was nowhere near the same quality of my returned one. Was very disappointed with the whole experience.

• Advertisement

markad1 wrote: »
    Good luck with that. UPS lost mine when returned for repair (1 month old, gimbal motor overload). DJI were a nightmare to deal with. It only got resolved when I started complaining on their online forum. They sent a replacement but it was nowhere near the same quality of my returned one. Was very disappointed with the whole experience.

Ah $hite, I've read a few horror stories alright. I'll let you's know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Yeah, very similar experience for me. Bought premium cover, and the performance of their repair centre was atrocious. UPS ship by land, so takes about 5 working days to get to the Netherlands. Then sat for over a week before it was received into their repair system. Then took weeks to get an update. I also started complaining on their online forum. Not sure it did any good.

Fantastic products, crap customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Can anyone comment on what kind of range you are getting in Ireland? Someone did mention having the drone out at "1.2km distance" which is right would be awesome.
    I'm asking I had a Spark, which I've now returned, as even with the controller, 100m in an open field would have it losing signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Ryaner wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on what kind of range you are getting in Ireland? Someone did mention having the drone out at "1.2km distance" which is right would be awesome.
    I'm asking I had a Spark, which I've now returned, as even with the controller, 100m in an open field would have it losing signal.

Hi Ryaner,

Disclaimer : I should open with the legal requirements to stay within line of sight at all times.

I can confirm though that it really is dependent on your location. I have seen on go well out to over 3km from the top of a hill where there is little or no interference from wifi etc.

In more urban areas like reasonable size town I have seen on go to 1km for sure before it start to lose radio signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

I don't intend of flying it miles away which is why I'd thought the spark would have worked. Knowing the drone can go further without issues is useful as it'll keep the mind happy while it does its thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ryaner wrote: »

I have had mine at 4km away from me (had line of sight) while up in mountainous terrain.

No problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I have had mine at 4km away from me (had line of sight) while up in mountainous terrain.

No problems whatsoever.

You could see a Mavic at 4km?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You could see a Mavic at 4km?

No, I'm not saying I could see it, I'm saying it was in line of sight - I.e there were no obstructions (trees/buildings etc) between the drone and me.

Flying at so many km away from you is always advisable to have a spotter with you too. (I had)

No, I'm not saying I could see it, I'm saying it was in line of sight - I.e there were no obstructions (trees/buildings etc) between the drone and me.

Flying at so many km away from you is always advisable to have a spotter with you too. (I had)

Fair enough - it's hard enough to see an Inspire at 300m, let alone a Mavic at 4km!

It's important to note however that it's not legal to fly further than 300m from you (I get you were up a mountain so no massive danger to life or property), but I believe a license is required to fly using spotters, and even then you'd need one every 600m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

what are the regulations?
    All I could find on the IAA was licences required for 1kg+ drones

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I saw this back in Dec '17 which gives a summary...

http://www.thejournal.ie/drone-guidelines-ireland-3769954-Dec2017

drone-guidance.jpg?sfvrsn=f43408f3_0

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drone-regulations-guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Those are merely guidelines and are largely inaccurate for places like Dublin.
    The vast majority of Dublin including the coastline has a maximum height limit of 15 metres or roughly 50ft as it is either class C or class G airspace.
    Flying above 15m requires permission from the IAA. The entire coastline from Bray to skerries is covered as the coastguard regularly flies at low altitudes in that area and doesn’t want to hit a drone while trying to rescue people that need their help.
    The IAA should really make that clearer on their drone guidelines!

Homer wrote: »
    The IAA should really make that clearer on their drone guidelines!

Agreed. You can use this map for guidelines on where you can fly: https://www.flyryte.com/airspace/

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Agreed. You can use this map for guidelines on where you can fly: https://www.flyryte.com/airspace/
    Homer wrote: »
    Those are merely guidelines and are largely inaccurate for places like Dublin.

Thanks for providing the additional details. My own "common sense" guidelines would've kept me on safe side anyway but good to know the official rules.
    I try to fly when v few people are out and about (around dusk and dawn), staying away from inhabited areas, airports, etc. But clearly need to be a bit more conservative around the Dublin coastline.

• Advertisement

Yeah, very similar experience for me. Bought premium cover, and the performance of their repair centre was atrocious. UPS ship by land, so takes about 5 working days to get to the Netherlands. Then sat for over a week before it was received into their repair system. Then took weeks to get an update. I also started complaining on their online forum. Not sure it did any good.

Fantastic products, crap customer service.

I had no trouble at all, took about 2 weeks from reporting to receiving a replacement. Checked serial number of replacement and its not a refurb and was in fact only built in December so I'm happy. Replacement cost €99.

v10
    Glad to hear it went smooth for you, where did you check the serial number?

v10
    Glad to hear it went smooth for you, where did you check the serial number?

Found this link on the dji forums

http://tools.retroroms.info

Found this link on the dji forums

http://tools.retroroms.info

Thanks for that. mine was a refurb as suspected.

Thanks for that. mine was a refurb as suspected.
    I wouldn't be happy with that either :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Sent mine up at lunch, got about 1km out and it started snowing again.
    Mad dash to get it home before the snow affected it!

28337248_10157089814467538_2652745010059545894_o.jpg?oh=60990f9a09232bde140026f643ebf529&oe=5B104CFA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

smokingman wrote: »
    Sent mine up at lunch, got about 1km out and it started snowing again.
    Mad dash to get it home before the snow affected it!

28337248_10157089814467538_2652745010059545894_o.jpg?oh=60990f9a09232bde140026f643ebf529&oe=5B104CFA

Did you get any warning about it being too cold to fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

deco nate wrote: »
    Did you get any warning about it being too cold to fly?

Flew a bit myself today- no warnings of temperature- but unusually was very windy high up when there was no wind at ground.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

ozmo wrote: »
    Flew a bit myself today- no warnings of temperature- but unusually was very windy high up when there was no wind at ground.

Gutted, I was thinking about putting mine up for a pic. But - 3 and was too afraid of it falling out of the sky. Haven't flown mine in an age between work and weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

ozmo wrote: »

I took mine out at dawn on Sunday in the hope of catching sight of a huge (huuuuuuge :eek: ) flock of migrating cranes that arrived on a lake across the field on Saturday evening. Unfortunately, they were already gone, but at least the drone surveillance saved me pointlessly lugging a load of standard camera gear across the countryside. :pac:

I got a "low temperature" warning before taking off (every time I've flown over the last month), and a "high wind" warning once I got above 120m, which was consistent with the forecast. Cautionary tale: knowing that there was a risk of high winds (20-40kmh) I flew upwind, which was fine ... until I ascended to 300m and app crashed. :mad: In the five minutes it took to reboot the app, the aircraft drifted 1.5km downwind, i.e. now on the wrong side of me, 700-800m downwind. :eek:

At full forward throttle, I struggled to stop it drifting any further away, and only regained forward momentum by bringing it down to 30m (no longer line of sight) but abandonned RTH in favour of an emergency landing once I was clear of the village and main road. Landed with 7% battery. :o

Anyway, before having to devote all my attention to the recovery operation, I was able to get this pic of a frosted field of France:

patterns01.jpg

Advertisement