Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

This one's a chiller.
    A real chiller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Does anyone remember the one where there was a family or something in a car, and they were in the car when it was being crushed like they do for scrap yards?

Think that might be the one here that starts at the 38.36 mark.

"Nothing on the road is more crushable than you"

This is a tough one.
    Which one do ye think is the scariest?

Or......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

This is a tough one.
    Which one do ye think is the scariest?

Or......

Deffo second one

• Advertisement

This was from the 90's but anyone remember the road safety advert where a guy is driving dangerously and there's a techno dance beat soundtrack then it changes to him in a wheelchair and the dance beat is him bouncing a basketball?

This was from the 90's but anyone remember the road safety advert where a guy is driving dangerously and there's a techno dance beat soundtrack then it changes to him in a wheelchair and the dance beat is him bouncing a basketball?
    Yep, I remember that one well enough,but I can't remember what was said at the end.

Does anyone remember one from the late 80's or early 90's about anti social behaviour that showed CCTV footage of a bunch of fellas kicking the tar out of each other on a bus?

The first part of this has an old bus safety film from the 60's. For some reason tacked on is a clip from the LLS of Gardai motorcycle traffic unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

'High voltage frisbee of death with strangely animated and ominous music safety ad.'

That would be my choice.

You know the one.. I don't even have to link it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The dog that falls in with bad company

Irish ad very heteronormative and not supporting condom use. Casual sex bad!

Amalgam wrote: »
    'High voltage frisbee of death with strangely animated and ominous music safety ad.'

That would be my choice.

You know the one.. I don't even have to link it..

"TIMMEEEEEEEeeee.......!!!!"

"TIMMEEEEEEEeeee.......!!!!"

The Irish version which I remember

It uses edited footage from this British PIF which is the "Timmee" one even though it sounds to me like "Jimmeee"

The Irish version which I remember

It uses edited footage from this British PIF which is the "Timmee" one even though it sounds to me like "Jimmeee"

Yep, tis "JIMMEEEeee" alright, I stand corrected!

John did ya put the cat out?

Try_harder wrote: »

Irish ad very heteronormative and not supporting condom use. Casual sex bad!

AIDS.
    The only thing that terrified me,gave me both nightmares and sleepless nights,and had me crying to my Mammy about it during my childhood.Ads like the two you have mentioned,and this one,made me educate myself.

You've just reminded me of the when the ads about AIDS became a bit more mellow and less scary in the early 90s,which had celebrities like Pat O'Mahony,Hillary Fennell and Thom "The Diceman" McGintey giving advice on AIDS.The series of ads just had each of them sitting down in a darkened room speaking to the camera,with the exception of The Diceman who just held up a sign which read "It goes without saying.Protect yourself.Always use a condom."

I distinctly remember that bitch Hillary Fennell basically blaming men alone for the spread of AIDS in her ad.
    darkdubh wrote: »
    They still had those ads running till about ten years ago with one of the Corrs (probably Sharon) and Sinead O Connor .
    Yep,I remember those ones well also.

I think they were dealing more with the stigma of having AIDS and HIV more than anything else.
    Either way,I found those ads pretty tame and ineffective.

Those ones are all up on YT. Theres several more of them under the same channel.

This was actually a print safety advert but I think it might have been connected with the old Irish "Play Safe" ad. Late 70's/early 80's, It was warning about the dangers of electricity and showed a cartoon man or boy climbing over a fence into what was presumably a power station, he was looking up with a glum expression at what looked like a big lightening bolt flying down at him and the lightening bolt had a super villian type head , a bit like Batman. To jog folks memories I've done a rough sketch from memory of this electricity bolt villian character.

38847459_2193602607569522_7878258936254562304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=004e12fc9ed793f08643571bb2016baa&oe=5C06571D

• Advertisement

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Does it ring a bell with anyone of a certain age?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Yellow man?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Hey I remember that guy! I don't remember any ads with him on it, but it was on a warning notice on the door of a local substation - as a little kid I was facinated by it, wondering if he was a man, and if so how could he be if he had no body. I've been searching the internet for years to see if I could find a photo of that sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

trad wrote: »
    Brendan Grace doing "The Safe Cross Code"

or the time the roll bars came in for the tractors and poor Tom overturned his tractor on the Riordan's, Well Holy God.

It was Pat Houlihan that turned his tractor on the road outside Tom's farmyard, remember Eamon ran out the yard after hearing the bang. Bloody fool shouldn't have been left near a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This was actually a print safety advert but I think it might have been connected with the old Irish "Play Safe" ad. Late 70's/early 80's, It was warning about the dangers of electricity and showed a cartoon man or boy climbing over a fence into what was presumably a power station, he was looking up with a glum expression at what looked like a big lightening bolt flying down at him and the lightening bolt had a super villian type head , a bit like Batman. To jog folks memories I've done a rough sketch from memory of this electricity bolt villian character.

38847459_2193602607569522_7878258936254562304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=004e12fc9ed793f08643571bb2016baa&oe=5C06571D

He was called Safety Man and he was a hero not a villain! Would turn up and stop kids who were just about to do something stupid.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

@ 2:06 your man wasn't going to exert himself with the sledge, sure granddad would fall straight through that fence.

He was called Safety Man and he was a hero not a villain! Would turn up and stop kids who were just about to do something stupid.

Are you thinking of the Green Cross Code guy?

Zirconia wrote: »
    Hey I remember that guy! I don't remember any ads with him on it, but it was on a warning notice on the door of a local substation - as a little kid I was facinated by it, wondering if he was a man, and if so how could he be if he had no body. I've been searching the internet for years to see if I could find a photo of that sign!

Yes , that's where I remember him from. I was thinking it was an ad but you've reminded me now he was on an electricity substation sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Are you thinking of the Green Cross Code guy?

Nope. I can remember a cartoon strip with some kids who found a fallen wire and Safety Man appeared in the nick of time.

Don't think there were ever animations / videos with Safety Man.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Nope. I can remember a cartoon strip with some kids who found a fallen wire and Safety Man appeared in the nick of time.

Don't think there were ever animations / videos with Safety Man.

Doesn't ring a bell. Anyway the advert I remembered wasn't an advert at all as it turns out. Zirconia's post was correct in that it was a warning sign on electricity substations.

Advertisement