Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost' bus stops

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Torquay Road in Foxrock has a number of bus bays marked out but no pole and one pole on the road.

Dundrum Bypass has a pole on it not sure why don't think any bus has ever ran on it.

Mackintosh Park and Upper Johnstown Rd. has a number of bus stops left over from when the 59 used to go up there

Anglesea Rd. has a number of bus poles from when the 63 and 84 ran along it

Beaver Row has a pole across the road from Donnybrook Depot

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a never served single sided pole with sign on the Meadowbrook spine road in Maynooth. Don't think it has a number. The one or two services a day that run nearby don't pass it

Another one I forgot was the bus shelter in Honeypark

• Registered Users Posts: 36,021 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Brighton Road in Foxrock has a number of bus bays marked out but no pole and one pole on the road.

The 63 actively serves the stops there no?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The 63 actively serves the stops there no?

Apologies I meant to say Torquay Road not Brighton Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

There are bus stops on Albert Road and St. Catherines Road not in use after the 59 route was "straightened out" a bit.

There are bus stops left on Glenegeary Road from the old 8 route. The poles probably would have been taken down (I'm 70% sure the poles are still there) but the 7n drives up that road on the 00:00, 02:00 and 04:00 departures.

The 44B stops at the entrance to the car park at Lamb Doyle's pub. Google Maps recognises there to be a bus stop there but there is no visual evidence to suggest there being a bus stop there (e.g. a stop pole, a path and/or elevated path). The 44B a lot of the time though stops outside the pub just before the corner to let passengers off.

At the bottom of Mackintosh Park, there are bus stop markings but there was never an actual stop there. Back when the 59 terminated at "Mackintosh Park" (Pottery Road) drivers would sometimes drive down there and park their bus there. It was strange that the council put effort into painting this unnecessary bus parking/stop markings there. And there was no need to move the bus from the terminus because no buses would be passing/using that stop in the time that the bus would be there.

Down behind Dún Laoghaire DART Station where the 45a/59 park there is a bus stop pole even though no buses actually let on/off passengers there. Once when I was looking on the stops near me map on the DB app the stop popped up as a stop in the 7500's/7600's numbers region. Clicking onto it though gave the usual result you would be expecting, No Real Time Info Available For This Stop.

On the 65 when the bus approaches Ballymore Eustace the driver stops sometimes and lets people off. There are no stop poles or anything there but Google Maps has stops marked for the inbound 65 and the outbound one near there but it is unclear to me (I'm quite unfamiliar with the area) where exactly on the road Google are talking about because when you open up Streetview for the stop there, there is nothing there and the pictures are from 2009 so the area looks different to when I went on my bus trip to Ballymore earlier this year.

On the 111 there have been instances that the bus driver has let passengers off opposite Dún Laoghaire DART Station.

There's an old stop (shelter) outside Dún Laoghaire DART Station (stop 2038) that was used before Stop 2039 was used. There is currently a stop not in use sign in the shelter. Transport For Ireland (a-b.ie) says that when you're getting a 46a, 75 or a 63 to the last stop in Dún Laoghaire to get off at Stop 2038. Most buses (unless there is a bus loading/waiting to go) will drive up to Stop 2039 and let passengers off and then do a loop via Harbour Road to park the bus at the back of the queue.

On the last 44B of the day, the driver will usually drop you off shortly up the road before the terminus so he won't have to drive into the terminus before going back to the garage.

At Dundrum LUAS Station, Google Maps has one stop marked (on the side that all the 14's park) with all the DB routes and the Dublin Coach route that stop at the multiple stops there. There is a bus shelter at the LUAS bus terminus that says the 44b and 161 stop at it but the 44b actually stops (starts) at a stop there. I'm not too familiar with those routes and how things work there as I havent been on any of the routes that stop there apart from the 44B a few times.
    So, maybe if someone could help clarify what I'm trying to say. Thanks.

The 45a goes through Shanganagh Cliffs Estate sometimes. The stops in the estate aren't marked on the map of the route because they are route variation stops and the route only uses them once or twice a day during the week only. If someone looked at that route map and then saw the stops (they are the bare type) they would think they are not in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Sillogue in Ballymun still has a few bus stops which aren’t used from the days of the 13 loop in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this the remains of a bus stop here in Putland Road in Bray remember the 45 used to go down there pole with traffic cone on top

https://goo.gl/maps/zEvjmMSPcSF2

Also the old turning circle for the 45 in Oldcourt can still be seen complete with Kassel kerbing

https://goo.gl/maps/4qjDWD9Bix62

Old 11 terminus in Kilmacud now surrounded by bollards with Kassel kerning

https://goo.gl/maps/9XdabZKQ8mv

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

L1011 wrote: »
    There is a never served single sided pole with sign on the Meadowbrook spine road in Maynooth. Don't think it has a number. The one or two services a day that run nearby don't pass it

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.372823,-6.5976596,3a,25.8y,151.89h,83.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1somW5GNDIY3IO59N1rUWKiQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This imagery is uselessly ancient - I'm nearly certain the pole was painted yellow and the sign replaced!

The pair here are the ones that were actually served but it seems they are ghosts also now - the single 66x to/from Cluain Aoibhinn no longer exists. However the main 66 has been proposed to be extended via this road for some time now.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3713539,-6.5955929,3a,75y,274.3h,98.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHENlfWcDRYxXblscm-ZoQQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I don't know if any of the other stops for that 66x still exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Geog1234

There is a pole and sign numbered 2254 opposite Terminal 2, Stena Line at Dublin Port. This used to be the terminus of the 53 some years ago until the stretch of Alexandra Road between it and Breakwater Road South was sealed off and converted to port use (for containers). There is also a sign affixed to the pole advising drivers to turn their engines off.

Not sure if the stops on Pigeon House Road (old route 1 discontinued in 2012) are still in situ - been a few years since I was down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In Galway we even have one on the Monivea Rd complete with bus-shelter, which nature is slowly reclaiming:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2886231,-9.0081022,3a,37.5y,207.85h,83.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOOxILluSJ___FNidrL67Lg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

(I don't know when it went out of use - over 10 years ago anyway.)

And a pole that I believe is even longer out of use on Dominic St:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2707792,-9.0571869,3a,15y,169.38h,86.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saFkMxkgZhRxU42gCawow8g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There are also four new bus shelters behind the cathedral which are too new be on Google's streetview imagery: built on the recommendation of a 2007 report, before the the NTA (rightly) said "lads don't be daft, you've one small bridge, that's NOT the right place for a bus terminus yet". Apparently the tour bus companies use them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

There's a few aswell on Ballygoan Road formerly used by the 44

https://goo.gl/maps/6ZCt4FQ2QU22

https://goo.gl/maps/9FACfjn1rUA2

And there's a pole with kassel kerbing and marked out layby beside Leopardstown Valley Luas Stop

https://goo.gl/maps/KWFfLri5iAC2

There is also a bus shelter in the car park for Carrickmines Luas Stop not avaible on street view. Also stop 7360 in Carrickmines Retail Pk was originally a ghost stop now used by the 63 the shelter was not provided by DB or Adshel/JCDecaux but rather the centre itself it has a DB stop pole but no DB branding on the shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I didn't notice that one I was thinking of this one

https://goo.gl/maps/5pGQgmYTqXG2

Ah yes, forgot that one.

Another one I forgot was the bus shelter in Honeypark

There's two in Cualanor too. They're hardly expecting buses to go through the estates? Especially Cualanor since the exit out to Tivoli Road is emergency vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians only.

There's two in Cualanor too. They're hardly expecting buses to go through the estates? Especially Cualanor since the exit out to Tivoli Road is emergency vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians only.

I wonder was it planning condition for the developers to provide these pointless bus shelters. The QBC outside these estates is weird considering only the hourly Monday to Saturday 111 operates on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

I wonder was it planning condition for the developers to provide these pointless bus shelters. The QBC outside these estates is weird considering only the hourly Monday to Saturday 111 operates on it.

I wonder was there ever any real coordination between the NRA, Dublin Bus, the planning authorities, and the developers being obliged to provide infrastructure? Pointless crap being put up as planning conditions without services provided to them puts public transport into disrepute.

Checked and the three in Maynooth are still present, yellow and have numbers (6208/9/10 I think) but no braille pad

• Advertisement

Speaking of braille pads, it's interesting how many of them and tactile kerbs are on stops on rural roads with no footpaths - places where one is unlikely to have blind people walking.

Not sure whether this fits the criteria. Stop 3107 (Route 59 towards Dún Laoghaire) on Avondale Road, Glenegeary has everything but the stop no. on the stop and braille pads.
    A few stops have the old DB branding, Stop 4462 in Sallynoggin is an example.

Victor wrote: »
    Speaking of braille pads, it's interesting how many of them and tactile kerbs are on stops on rural roads with no footpaths - places where one is unlikely to have blind people walking.

I suspect it's standard now for all stops where possible. In rural areas without a footpath it would be more important to have a safe place to stand that's not in a ditch or at the side of an open road road for passengers.

There's also a few disused stops on Taney Road in Dundrum only noticed them today when I drove past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

One on firhouse road inbound, shelter but no number and doesn’t appear on RTPI map. Routes 49 and 75 use it, appears between 2542 and 2544, but no 2543 found anywhere.

One on firhouse road inbound, shelter but no number and doesn’t appear on RTPI map. Routes 49 and 75 use it, appears between 2542 and 2544, but no 2543 found anywhere.
    Outside the Scientology place? It's on the list. Any road that was rebuilt / realigned inteh last 10-15 years seems to have the problem.

They even have stop 2544 recorded on a side street: http://www.dublinbus.ie/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=map&searchquery=(53.283963,-6.339804,2544)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Geog1234

Castleforbes Road has an unnumbered pole cemented into the footpath (just around the corner from North Wall Quay). The now demolished Maritime House erstwhile Isle of Man Steam Packet agent inter alia was located on the corner of Castleforbes Road and North Wall Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Victor wrote: »
    Outside the Scientology place? It's on the list. Any road that was rebuilt / realigned inteh last 10-15 years seems to have the problem.

They even have stop 2544 recorded on a side street: http://www.dublinbus.ie/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=map&searchquery=(53.283963,-6.339804,2544)

Yep, thats the one

On the map you've linked, there are two stops shown (2544 and 6128) whereas in reality it's just one and is numbered 6128 on the sign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

There's one on the Kiltipper Road, pretty sure it was one of the two local buses that existed once upon a time.

Dropped pin
    near Kiltipper Rd, Killininny, Dublin
    https://goo.gl/maps/3SqisULgskT2

I'm nearly sure there's one either on Mayberry Road or somewhere else around Kilnamanagh, formerly served by the 50 (and possibly one of the local buses).

• Advertisement

On the 84 towards Newcastle, there is a pull-in stop with kerbing but no stop on Newcastle Road. The bus stopped there today and let someone off.

Advertisement