Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018: Blizzards or Heatwaves!

Options
  • 27-06-2018 9:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭

As many have mentioned we're not halfway through 2018 and we've had epic snowfalls and now a beautiful warm spell of weather late May/early June and are currently enjoying a heatwave.

Which type of weather do you derive most satisfaction from?

Personally love snow events but I prefer Heatwaves, sunshine and pottering around in shorts on long evenings after 9pm :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Of course I prefer blizzards. I'm not mad about heat, not that it has been oppressive here in Dublin. I love sunshine a lot, regardless of temperatures. It is my second favourite type of weather after snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

I have to admit I love both 😊 it’s so nice to have actual seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Snow, man!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is a very tough question because I love both.

I get more excited from a significant snow event, especially ones that last at least a week. However I wouldn't want 3 whole months of blizzards. If we could get 2 or 3 weeks every winter of guaranteed snow and blizzards I would be really happy.

I really love heatwaves, all round dry weather, sunny and blue skies. However I don't get the same level of excitement as I do from an extreme cold snow event, but could easily live/survive happy with a 4 month heatwave every year, compared to 3/4 months of snow.

So in the end I'm gonna chalk this one up to be a draw between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Summer is by far my favourite season so normally I'd say heat but the snow in Feb/March probably the most memorable weather event I've ever witnessed so I'd have to put that first.

For me snow is great as a novelty for a couple of weeks but being constantly cold, not being able to properly enjoy the outdoors, having to scrape ice off the windscreen every morning and spending a fortune on heating quickly gets old whereas I'd gladly take 6 months of warm sunny weather every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Given the options,, I'll go with blizzards hands down, but I'm a thunder head. No weather holds quite the same excitement for me than a good thunderstorm.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

This years snow event is exceptionally rare, whereas although this spell is quite hot it is not unusual to get some warm weather during the summer in Ireland, even if its only for a couple of days and maybe not quite this hot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Given the options,, I'll go with blizzards hands down, but I'm a thunder head. No weather holds quite the same excitement for me than a good thunderstorm.

I love thunder too. it's easily the rarest of rarest in this county. There hasn't been a proper thunderstorm at my area since 1985.

Since then we've had some minor thunderstorms, consisting of a few flashes and a few rumbles but nothing more.

My area missed the thunder snow of 2010. We got the snow but not the thunder.

No thunder or lightning here in about 2 years now, at most maybe a distant rumble but nothing more.

I did get my thunderstorm fix in Spain about 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I do love the snow but two weeks is enough... I would be happy with a month of real winter every year. I do hate cold wet weather for weeks on end , it’s depressing..
    I must say I am loving the weather this week and I normally wouldn’t be a huge fan of really high temps. I am a stay at home dad so being able to slip into just a shorts and tshirt every morning is great. Do the housework, lunch and dinner outside. Kids in paddling pool it’s all good and people seem in better form all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Blizzards. It's easy to keep yourself warm in a snowstorm, it's very difficult to keep oneself cool in a heat wave. So a blizzard is more comfortable to live through and easier on the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am not a fan of heat. The heat leaves me feeling tired and i don't like being sweaty 15 minutes after just showering. If i lived right beside a beach, i might have a different take on which is better, but not when i'm stuck in a concrete jungle.

So i prefer snow, though It can be difficult wiping snow and frost off your car at 5:30 am in the morning after a few days and then driving 20 miles on untreated roads:D

Still, I cherished the March 2018 snow event. Will we ever see its like again. Some of you will hope not, i know. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

We have a greater % chance of a snow event than we do of getting 30c+ heatwave so heatwave for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Blizzards for me. You can escape the cold in Ireland but the heat is another story.

Last winter was great for me. Lots of frost, general cold weather and the snow was the icing on the cake.

Hating the current weather, averaging 3 to 4 hours of sleep in the heat for the past 3 weeks. Got sleeping tablets to take tomorrow night to catch up on my sleep. Just have to stay awake at my desk today and tomorrow. Hay-fever is not helping me either. Feeling miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If it's a binary choice then heatwave. The cold is oksy in short bursts but expensive and gets into your bones if it goes on. Add wind and you can fec'k off!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

As many have mentioned we're not halfway through 2018 and we've had epic snowfalls and now a beautiful warm spell of weather late May/early June and are currently enjoying a heatwave.

Which type of weather do you derive most satisfaction from?

Personally love snow events but I prefer Heatwaves, sunshine and pottering around in shorts on long evenings after 9pm :)

S02E04-3jvajMFZ-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lucreto wrote: »
    Blizzards for me. You can escape the cold in Ireland but the heat is another story.

Last winter was great for me. Lots of frost, general cold weather and the snow was the icing on the cake.

Hating the current weather, averaging 3 to 4 hours of sleep in the heat for the past 3 weeks. Got sleeping tablets to take tomorrow night to catch up on my sleep. Just have to stay awake at my desk today and tomorrow. Hay-fever is not helping me either. Feeling miserable.

;) And (((HUGS))) Semi nocturnal here too, but at home so matters little,and we missed out on the real snow out here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Am I only the person that's pretty happy with the average weather in Ireland?

Reading the weather forum is very informative but also very frustrating because everyone seems to be gleeful about extremes without any real thought for their consequences. Whenever I read "good news for next week" I have to think very carefully about what means because it could mean a hurricane, everyone being snowed in or temperatures that will literally melt the roads.

There are countries that have sweltering heat in summer and devastating cold in winter, this is generally not considered a positive by anyone living there but it seems to be what boards collectively yearns for.

sharper wrote: »
    There are countries that have sweltering heat in summer and devastating cold in winter, this is generally not considered a positive by anyone living there but it seems to be what boards collectively yearns for.

For me it's because what is rare has charm. Say if we were guaranteed two months of extreme cold and snow in winter, and severe thunderstorms from the bay of biscay every summer, i probably wouldn't appreciate these events as much. I recall Donegal Storm saying he lost interest in thunderstorms while he was in Asia because they were an every day occurrence for him. If we were guaranteed events like storm Emma every year, my jaw would not have dropped at some of the photos that were being posted last March. Then some people are just drawn to extremes, regardless of whether they are an everyday occurrence or not. Hurricanes being a good example.
    People love Hurricanes because it shows the power of nature, which is beyond our control

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I would like 11 months of heatwave and 1 month of snow.

I love the snow, but 1 month would be enough.

I never get sick of the heat. I wish it stayed all year round :)

Rikand wrote: »
    I would like 11 months of heatwave and 1 month of snow.

I love the snow, but 1 month would be enough.

I never get sick of the heat. I wish it stayed all year round :)

Well at least it isn't humid at night with this heatwave. In Oman they had a minimum night time temperature of 41c yesterday!! The sea there is 30c at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Heatwave for me. At least you can still get **** done!

Advertisement