Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Genre

Options
  • 27-06-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭

So I was thinking to myself earlier, I wonder what the most popular genre is when it comes to gaming. I did a bit of light reading, and discovered there are a few main genres, with a load of sub-genres, some of which I've never played. And it got me wondering, how do the Boardsies like to spend their time gaming. So i created a poll. The poll only has the main genres, or I'd be here all day creating a poll, but I've left it multiple choice to give a better idea overall. So let us know! I've included the genres and examples of the sub-genres for ease of use below. I know some games fall into more than 1 genre, but pick the closest!

Action
    Wiki wrote:
    Action games emphasize physical challenges that require eye-hand coordination and motor skill to overcome. They center around the player, who is in control of most of the action. Most of the earliest video games were considered action games; today, it is still a vast genre covering all games that involve physical challenges.

Sub-genres: Platform, Shooter, Fighting, Beat 'em up, Stealth, Survival & Rhythm.

Action-adventure
    Wiki wrote:
    Action-adventure games combine elements of their two component genres, typically featuring long-term obstacles that must be overcome using a tool or item as leverage (which is collected earlier), as well as many smaller obstacles almost constantly in the way, that require elements of action games to overcome. Action-adventure games tend to focus on exploration and usually involve item gathering, simple puzzle solving, and combat. "Action-adventure" has become a label which is sometimes attached to games which do not fit neatly into another well known genre.

Sub-genres: Survival horror, Metroidvania

Adventure
    Wiki wrote:
    Adventure games were some of the earliest games created, beginning with the text adventure Colossal Cave Adventure in the 1970s. That game was originally titled simply "Adventure," and is the namesake of the genre. Over time, graphics have been introduced to the genre and the interface has evolved.

Unlike adventure films, adventure games are not defined by story or content. Rather, adventure describes a manner of gameplay without reflex challenges or action. They normally require the player to solve various puzzles by interacting with people or the environment, most often in a non-confrontational way. It is considered a "purist" genre and tends to exclude anything which includes action elements beyond a mini game.

Sub-genres: Text adventures, Graphic adventures, Visual novels, Interactive movie, Real-time 3D adventures

Role-playing
    Wiki wrote:
    Role-playing video games draw their gameplay from traditional [not always] role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons. Most of these games cast the player in the role of one or more "adventurers" who specialize in specific skill sets (such as melee combat or casting magic spells) while progressing through a predetermined storyline. Many involve manoeuvring these character(s) through an overworld, usually populated with monsters, that allows access to more important game locations, such as towns, dungeons, and castles.

Sub-genres: Action RPG, MMORPG, Roguelikes, Tactical RPG, Sandbox RPG, First-person party-based RPG, JRPG, WRPG

Simulation
    Wiki wrote:
    Simulation video games is a diverse super-category of games, generally designed to closely simulate aspects of a real or fictional reality.

Sub-genres: Construction and management simulation, Life simulation, Vehicle simulation

Strategy
    Wiki wrote:
    Strategy video games focus on gameplay requiring careful and skillful thinking and planning in order to achieve victory and the action scales from world domination to squad-based tactics. In most strategy video games, says Andrew Rollings, "the player is given a godlike view of the game world, indirectly controlling the units under his command."

Sub-genres: 4X game, Artillery game, Real-time strategy (RTS), Real-time tactics (RTT), Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA), Tower defense, Turn-based strategy (TBS), Turn-based tactics (TBT), Wargame, Grand strategy wargame

Sports
    Wiki wrote:
    Sports are video games that simulate sports. This opposing team(s) can be controlled by other real life people or artificial intelligence.

Sub-genres: Racing, Sports game, Competitive (Disc-Jam, Ball-Jack), Sports-based fighting (Wrastlin')

What's your favourite genres? 114 votes

Action
    12% 14 votes
    Action adventure
    12% 14 votes
    Adventure
    20% 23 votes
    Role playing
    7% 8 votes
    Simulation
    25% 29 votes
    Strategy
    7% 8 votes
    Sports
    15% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I generally play all genres... not sport, f**k that. But Role-playing is my favorite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Survival horror was my favourite genre 20 years ago. Would probably still be if there were any decent ones but the genre itself has gone very bad. I wondered if I'd outgrown it but playing the Resident Evil HD remake and RE7 in VR last year proved I still love the genre, it's just the games aren't as good now. That's why I can't wait for RE2 remake in January.

I like all sorts of genres now though. Action is probably my favourite (God of War, Soulsborne, HZD) but there is also RPG elements in them. But having recently played platformers like Crash Bandicoot and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze it reminded me I like them too.

I never would have thought narrative based games with multiple choice selections would be my thing at all but games like Vampyr, Life is Strange and Until Dawn proved I do indeed like them.

Hard question man. But no way would I play any sport games. They're not my thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Like above, I play all games, even the sports ones but I'm finding sports games are getting worse as the years go on. They have become cookie cutter shyte where the devs put out the same thing every year but keep trying to squeeze in more microtransactions or always online crap into single player modes.

The games that are sticking with me lately are definitely 'Adventure' ones, narrative focused, like Nick said, life is strange, Vampyr, until dawn, gone home, firewatch, what remains of Edith Finch, etc. They are usually games that I hear about but would be put off for some reason like I don't think I'd enjoy them or they might be too short but I end up loving them.

Also, all the Yakuza's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Love the subcategories of Metroidvania and Roguelike, so the Switch is my ideal console.

Now I just need to discipline myself to finish one before I start another - Hollow Knight is stopping me from getting back to Yoku's Island Express, Dandara, Wizard of Legend, Enter the Gungeon, Isaac, Darkest Dungeon, Necrodancer, Flinthook, Immortal Redneck, Neurovoider and Sterendenn.

Can't wait for Dead Cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sports first

Uncharted/Metal Gear Solids of the world next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3 and Zelda have been my favourite games of this generation, so RPGs for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I was a Shooter fan for years,Doom,Call of Duty (OG),Counter Strike ,BF2,but in the last few years,since Oblivion i suppose,RPGs started creeping in,and now i would say they make up a good 90% of my library.. I still love shooters mind,but i suppose there are more to rpgs substance wise, Rainbow6 ,PUBG,Doom are exceptions though..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Poll is missing "Fighting games" tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

It's not on the poll but the cinematic platformer is always a genre I never grow tired of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Poll is missing "Fighting games" tbh

It's a sub-genre of sports apparently! There are so many different sub genres, go with the one it most resembles. So MK and SF would be 'sports', and the likes of Sleeping Dogs (for want of a better example) is more Action Adventure.
    It's not on the poll but the cinematic platformer is always a genre I never grow tired of.

They are usually also the games I can never finish out of frustration. Oddworld for example, could never get past the area just after the factory. Kept getting stuck and not knowing where to go. Same happened with the remaster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bit of an all rounder really.

I've veered away from Sports though in recent times, I dont find much longevity in them bar dropping into a game every now and again.

I've probably found myself more in the Action/RPG categories in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's a sub-genre of sports apparently! There are so many different sub genres, go with the one it most resembles. So MK and SF would be 'sports', and the likes of Sleeping Dogs (for want of a better example) is more Action Adventure.

Not a chance of FGs being "sports".
    Nope.
    NOOOOO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Where are the press x to Jason games?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chev_Chelios

Open world action adventure with roleplaying elements, Fallout and Elder Scrolls essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Necro thread... REVIVED!

I was going to start a thread, but remembered I started this, and it's a question based around the general idea.

Just started playing Tokyo Xanadu eX+, and I like it. But I'm confused as to what type of game it is, as I'd like to search for similar games but are not turn based. I was thinking it's a JRPG, as it's anime based, has lots of reading with characters sometimes making statements (yoshi, eeeeh, honto, etc), multiple character parties. But then I read that JRPGs are turn based. So is this just an RPG then? But it's not the same as, say, Skyrim. It's combat is more like God of War, and action adventure, but everything inbetween is RPG like... *insert Jackie Chan meme*

Suppose it's just more blurred lines between genres these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

For a very long time it was Strategy, I was obsessed Strategy games, would try everything even if it was rubbish, then I discovered what I would consider the best Strategy game ever, Company of hero's, I played the skirmish mode to death, even the campaign was a joy to play, I remember downloading the map launcher so I could play custom maps which I downloaded from the relic forums, good times, I must have played COH for 18 Months straight that's all I played and I got burnt out from it and from that genre completely, In saying that I did dive back into men of war 2 assault squad and was playing the skirmish mode last night, loads of fun.

I love Rpg's, if there open world,all the better,that's my new favorite genre, I also love simulation games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

RPGs are my go-to genre, they typically last awhile either through a lengthy game time and/or replayability.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

online fps shooter, I hate them, I love them, I'm a very conflicted person. when you're playing something like Nioh to calm down y'er wondering if it's all worth it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mostly lean towards strategy, between 4x style such as the Civilisation series or the now dead (*sheds tear*) RTS variant seen with the likes of StarCraft.

Huge sucker for a Metroidvania though, and those feel like genres in of themselves !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,314 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

primarily FPS SP Shooters, WRPG and action adventure games
    what I totally avoid like the plague are Sports and driving games

• Advertisement
Advertisement