Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Stringer Retires

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Absolute legend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Munster should never have left him leave, far better than any of our reserve scrum halves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great player, always gave 100% and one of the best big little men around (in person he was not that small). Had a great career with a many trophies and achievements. No Munster fan will ever forget the sneaky try in the 2006 HC final

Him retiring is truly an end to the late 90s/2000s era of Irish rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Truly a legend, a great servant for Irish Rugby and not a bad chap for a Munster man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

True Irish and Munster Legend. Good luck in the future

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    Munster should never have left him leave, far better than any of our reserve scrum halves

That's the crux of it. He didn't want to be Munsters reserve scrum half, so he tried his hand abroad.

Fair play to him, he's had a brilliant career. Himself and DOC lasting til 40. Maybe there's something to say for being tee total :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

One of the true legends.
    Hopefully he will enjoy as much happiness and success off the pitch as on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That's the crux of it. He didn't want to be Munsters reserve scrum half, so he tried his hand abroad.

Fair play to him, he's had a brilliant career. Himself and DOC lasting til 40. Maybe there's something to say for being tee total :eek:

He could have still played a hell of a lot of games for Munster, when Murray was not available for selection, but yeah that is it.

He never drank ??

Hard to believe that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

One of the most universally loved players in the Irish game and a hero to is all at Munster.
    Genuinely hope he stays involved in the game...have a feeling he could be a cracking coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ankle tap master :D Always came across as a decent bloke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He never drank ??

Hard to believe that

I thought everyone knew that. Never touched a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

One of the most universally loved players in the Irish game and a hero to is all at Munster.
    Genuinely hope he stays involved in the game...have a feeling he could be a cracking coach.

The reception he got at Aviva a few years ago when he came on for Bath against Leinster told it's own story.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The reception he got at Aviva a few years ago when he came on for Bath against Leinster told it's own story.

That Leinster have the best fan's in the world? Yeah I thought that too...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That Leinster have the best fan's in the world? Yeah I thought that too...
    I think your shotgun is running out of apostrophes. Here's some more to keep you going. :pac:

s-l300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Remember that well, it was a nice little coda to his career..

My top memories : the tap tackles, the bullet pass,the cheeky one against biarritz, the triple crown try vs the Scots

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He never drank ??

Hard to believe that

It's not that hard to believe when you consider how long he played. He was incredibly fortunate to remain injury free but he stayed in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Delighted that he had such a long career, and he hopefully made a decent wedge during his twilight years in the UK. Strikes me as the sort that will take well to coaching, should he choose that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Legend of a player, phenomenal career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Great player. One of the best passers at scrum half I've seen. I think he was still hoping to get another season in which would have been phenomenal. The end of an era. Was watching that clip and looking at al the players on that Munster team who retired well before him. Only DOC lasted as long.

I thought everyone knew that. Never touched a drop.

fair play to him, i imagine it was hard for him after all the cup wins to listen to all that drunken ****e

I think Jonny Wilkinson only drank once after the 2007 World cup final defeat

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bazzmch

Rumor has it he’s going to malahide as player coach. Heard it from 3 sources now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

He is very active on social media about training and fitness. Dude looks in amazing shape for 40. Assumed he was trying to push into the fitness industry as a result.

Sangre wrote: »
    He is very active on social media about training and fitness. Dude looks in amazing shape for 40. Assumed he was trying to push into the fitness industry as a result.

Possibly but I think he just has a real grá for it and like many with a positive outlook he is inclined to share and give. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a direction he goes and he'd be incredibly knowledgeable but I could see him going a more direct coaching route also.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Great player, hell of a pass off the back of a ruck or scrum, like a bullet.
    Good luck to him in the future, he has a lot to offer players younger than him, the under 65's for example

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Possibly but I think he just has a real grá for it and like many with a positive outlook he is inclined to share and give. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a direction he goes and he'd be incredibly knowledgeable but I could see him going a more direct coaching route also.

Probably. I think me using the words 'push into industry' made it seem like he was actively promoting etc. It was more that I thought it was a natural step for him given his interests. Most pros never want to work-out again in their life once they're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

Pride... Fair play to the Leinster fans for giving Strings a reception worthy of an Ireland and Munster ledge!!! Cos he is the real deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Something I always looked forward to when he came off a bench was the first big tackle he was going to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

bazzmch wrote: »
    Rumor has it he’s going to malahide as player coach. Heard it from 3 sources now.

I have it on very good authority that this is a done deal.

Advertisement