Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Lowry guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BobMc wrote: »
    I'd hope we'd be pretty far beyond falling into that trap.
    You're never more than 2 elections from falling into that trap. Look at the US. And Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Be interesting to see what sentence he gets. The fact the garlic man got 6 years surely means Lowry will see some jail time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

BobMc wrote: »
    . To be honest TD's etc should be held to higher standard and I'm hopefull he's shown the door from the Dail

Well if that's the case than a lot more could also get the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seems 5 years is the max he can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It’ll be two years suspended - this is Ireland after all, we don’t do accountability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

When will it be announced that he has pretty much gotten away with it?

Was due at 3.30 today....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

keano_afc wrote: »
    When will it be announced that he has pretty much gotten away with it?

Sentencing was due at 3.30pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/Orlaodo/status/1011619133119754240

He won’t be retried on what he got off on today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Orlaodo/status/1011623547071066113

5 year ban from serving as a company director.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Orla O'Donnell is tweeting from the court.

@orlaodo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Zebra3 wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Orlaodo/status/1011623547071066113

5 year ban from serving as a company director.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That can't be it...can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Tipp Poll topper in GE 2018/19 so. They do love the rascals down the country don't you know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That can't be it...can it?

Nah, that's just automatic because it's a conviction under the Companies Act. No sentencing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Every year revenue publishes details of people caught with tax avoidance.

There is 100s and they don’t go to jail, why should it be different with Lowry who I am no fan off either btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'll give hime one thing he's brilliant at the political game! Knows how to win people over. He has done a lot for the people of Tip in fairness and that is why he seemed to be loved by them. Will this make any difference..I don't think so. And maybe it shouldn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There is 100s and they don’t go to jail, why should it be different with Lowry who I am no fan off either btw.

"The jury found that Garuda had knowingly delivered an incorrect corporation tax return for the year ending 2006 and that Mr Lowry had consented to or connived in this."

That's not tax avoidance.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'll give hime one thing he's brilliant at the political game! Knows how to win people over. He has done a lot for the people of Tip in fairness and that is why he seemed to be loved by them. Will this make any difference..I don't think so. And maybe it shouldn't.

What are all things he has done for the people of Tipp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

DellyBelly wrote: »

That's the problem right there.

Similar sitiation to the doctor who got 16 months recently. Same judge as well.

Amirani wrote: »
    "The jury found that Garuda had knowingly delivered an incorrect corporation tax return for the year ending 2006 and that Mr Lowry had consented to or connived in this."

That's not tax avoidance.

Amounts to the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The amount and the circumstances would have an effect on it.
    Its a bit different a sole trader not declaring a could of thousand compared to €372,000 that wasn't declared by Lowry.

I would also argue as a public representative there is an expectation of a higher standard

He is a TD and should be held to a higher standard.

Really?

So one law for the public and another for tds????

I don’t follow.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The amount and the circumstances would have an effect on it.
    Its a bit different a sole trader not declaring a could of thousand compared to €372,000 that wasn't declared by Lowry.

I would also argue as a public representative there is an expectation of a higher standard

Tax avoidance is tax avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This post has been deleted.

I dont think this is true at all. In fact i would be happy if they were held to the same standard as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They are generally people who didn't pay what was owed but didn't defraud as such.
    i.e., you buy 100K of widgets off me and I don't pay the VAT in time because I used the money for wages or to keep the business running, two years later it gets published that I owed and paid 23K VAT + 15K penalties.

But if you buy 100K of widgets off me and I try to hide or reduce the invoice or put it through 2021 books rather than this years then its fraud which they bring me to court over.

That's my understanding of 'the difference'.

15k fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Judge Martin Nolan: Appropriate sentence for Michael Lowry, taking into account all of the matters raised, fine of 15,000 euro. For Garuda - 10,000 euro.

Advertisement