Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European elections, 2019

Options
  • 26-06-2018 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭

It seems Macron has declared his intentions for En Marche, forming an alliance with Spain's Ciudadanos. This is somewhat of an odd coupling, as in 2017, EM were launched as a progressive centrist, social liberal party, whereas C's have built their electoral support within both Catalonia and Spain through appeals to Castilians and Spanish unionism, so has the French president moved firmly to the right?

https://www.politico.eu/article/macrons-en-marche-spains-ciudadanos-working-on-joint-2019-platform/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

It seems Macron has declared his intentions for En Marche, forming an alliance with Spain's Ciudadanos. This is somewhat of an odd coupling, as in 2017, EM were launched as a progressive centrist, social liberal party, whereas C's have built their electoral support within both Catalonia and Spain through appeals to Castilians and Spanish unionism, so has the French president moved firmly to the right?

https://www.politico.eu/article/macrons-en-marche-spains-ciudadanos-working-on-joint-2019-platform/

I can't see pan European alliances having much appeal, it's as if the centre refuses to learn the lesson from the upsurge in far right populism.

Diem25 are attempting the same thing but from a liberal left perspective.

Macron has always been pretty right wing, his main policies so far include attacking unions and launching a pan European military alliance

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Doesn't strike me as being that odd. I never saw Ciudadanos as being especially right wing (at least, not like PP are), nor Macron as being that left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I don't think Macron "attack[ed] unions", I think his concern is the vast power that unions in France have to hold the entire nation hostage - a power that union bosses here, between sips of the finest wines, are drooling over.

Advertisement