Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gealic football rules question

Options
  • 22-06-2018 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭

I have a question about football rules, specifically regarding when the ball is in and out of play.

The question was raised after a high ball was kicked in toward goal this evening. The ball was hanging close to the end line, and the corner forward punched the ball back into play before the ball went 'wide'. The referee stopped the game and awarded a kick out. When questioned, he said 'your foot was out, so it's a wide' (his foot was out, he is correct on this bit of it).'But sure the ball wasn't out', was the reply, to which the ref said that 'on the end line, if your foot is out, the ball is deemed out. If it's on the sideline it's still in play, but on the end line it's a wide'.
    Now, in this game tonight, it's no way important, it was only a challenge game, and there was no real argument. But was he correct? I don't think he was, but this guy should be well informed, he has referees a few senior County finals, some lower level intercounty games, and is often an umpire at senior intercounty games.

Anyone know what the rule is here? I'm just curious...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

He was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

rule is that ball in football or hurling has to be outside line.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

He's watching too much rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

In hurling I'd the player crosses the line but keeps the ball outside the goal then it is definitely a goal. Ask Austin Gleeson!

No but seriously, the ball has to cross the line, this ref was smoking crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Bonniedog wrote: »
    rule is that ball in football or hurling has to be outside line.

Unless you're Austin Gleeson.

ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Was the corner forward off the field before he punched the ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He's watching too much rugby.

Fully, that's what we said :)

Yea, what we all figured was that the ball was either in or out, regardless of the players feet or otherwise.

The reason I was asking is because this guy should have it right, he's practically refereeing full time, does a lot of school games/colleges etc, has done games at county level/ladies etc, and regularly umpires with another guy at intercounty championship level.

Concerning if he doesn't know the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

"Gaelic"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Could put a smart alec answer to some of the quotes above, but anyway, the main point here:
    I have a question about football rules, specifically regarding when the ball is in and out of play.

The question was raised after a high ball was kicked in toward goal this evening. The ball was hanging close to the end line, and the corner forward punched the ball back into play before the ball went 'wide'. The referee stopped the game and awarded a kick out. When questioned, he said 'your foot was out, so it's a wide' (his foot was out, he is correct on this bit of it).'But sure the ball wasn't out', was the reply, to which the ref said that 'on the end line, if your foot is out, the ball is deemed out. If it's on the sideline it's still in play, but on the end line it's a wide'.
    Now, in this game tonight, it's no way important, it was only a challenge game, and there was no real argument. But was he correct? I don't think he was, but this guy should be well informed, he has referees a few senior County finals, some lower level intercounty games, and is often an umpire at senior intercounty games.

Anyone know what the rule is here? I'm just curious...

the referee made a balls of rule 4.34 "To deliberately go outside the boundary lines to gain an advantage except as provided in Rule 1.9.
    PENALTY - Free kick from where the foul occurred."

Rule 1.9 for clarity - For a run-up to a free kick or kick-out, a player may go outside a boundary line. For a sideline kick, a player shall kick the ball from outside the boundary line. Other than as stated above, players shall remain within the field of play

In essence, to go off the field of play so that you can get a longer run up to stop a ball going wide is a free. nice_guy80 above seemed to have also been probing this query.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There was similar incident in yesterday's game in CP when Laois player seemed to have kept the ball in play but momentum carried him over line before he recovered and retained the ball which didn't seem to cross line, but Dublin were given a sideline.

• Advertisement
Advertisement