Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Tobin Memorial

Options
  • 19-06-2018 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

I’m about to have a bit of a rant here. So as an A4 we have to pre register for events in order to make sure we get in. Cycling Ireland has a perfectly good events page linked to your licence for doing this. So could someone please explain to me why a third party booking site is allowed to be used and then subsequently charge a €1.05 booking fee on top of the €15 race fee. I think this is a disgrace as it’s not as if the facility is already there and races are dear enough as it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Don't go then, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Craig06 wrote: »
    I’m about to have a bit of a rant here. So as an A4 we have to pre register for events in order to make sure we get in. Cycling Ireland has a perfectly good events page linked to your licence for doing this. So could someone please explain to me why a third party booking site is allowed to be used and then subsequently charge a €1.05 booking fee on top of the €15 race fee. I think this is a disgrace as it’s not as if the facility is already there and races are dear enough as it is.

Slaney CC used that booking site long before CI had their events page in order , it probably worked well for them and I'm guessing they could see no point in changing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The CI page has also crashed and been unusable on several occasions. I didn't like the extra 1.5euro but as has been said before, you could still back out at that stage.

My only complaint was all the data it wanted.

So long as it doesn't become a back route for charging more.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

CramCycle wrote: »
    The CI page has also crashed and been unusable on several occasions. I didn't like the extra 1.5euro but as has been said before, you could still back out at that stage.

My only complaint was all the data it wanted.

So long as it doesn't become a back route for charging more.

Still didn’t even ask me for my licence number either though

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

The thing that DID bother me was that the page would not let me finish the booking until I ticked the box to allow them to spam me . Hate that !

• Advertisement

fondriest wrote: »
    The thing that DID bother me was that the page would not let me finish the booking until I ticked the box to allow them to spam me . Hate that !

I didn't have to tick that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

So this isnt an Eddie Tobin Thread ?
    Chillax and either pay the €1.05 or dont sign up , if it means pre reg with capped numbers I'll happily pay extra .

Looking forward to this at A4, see if I have any semblance of an engine left for that climb. Are you out for it Sullzz?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looking forward to this at A4, see if I have any semblance of an engine left for that climb. Are you out for it Sullzz?

Hope to , although ive a hectic week in work , and also in work on the Saturday so im not getting much training done this week , so i guess itll come down to how i feel on the morning of it . Ill register for it anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

What’s the climb like?

• Advertisement

Miklos wrote: »
    What’s the climb like?

If i remember correctly , its about 5km at 3% so not too bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

So could someone please explain to me why a third party booking site is allowed to be used and then subsequently charge a €1.05 booking fee on top of the €15 race fee. I think this is a disgrace as it’s not as if the facility is already there and races are dear enough as it is.

€15 is "dear enough"? I genuinely think €15 is incredibly cheap given the amount of work/effort required in running a race! Try mountain bike racing!

I agree , clubs are mostly at a loss after races , id happily pay more than that to keep races on the calendar.
    You never hear people complaining about the cost of sportives that are about 20 to 25 euro .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

sullzz wrote: »
    You never hear people complaining about the cost of sportives that are about 20 to 25 euro .
    Compared to other sports (like triathlon), entries seem really cheap to me coming from that. And I can enter the week of, not the guts of a year before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Compared to other sports (like triathlon), entries seem really cheap to me coming from that. And I can enter the week of, not the guts of a year before!

Agree, looking around feel that we are blessed in the world of competitive cycling here in Ireland. Its one of the few things that is great value here in the modern age, even if it doesn't feel like that to some cash strapped juniors.

Compared to money spent on fuel (to get to races), bikes and bike parts (and when I look around the peloton everybody has a good bike) it's insignificant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've missed at least 3 races this year because I couldn't afford to go, and the difference was €5 - a €20 entry versus €15, or diesel money donations. My bike is 6 years old, second hand and I was given help to buy it, most cycling things I have were donated to me equipment wise. It's taken years to build up my kit. Not everyone is on expensive equipment.
    Thank god for track. Did my first nationals on a rental bike. Only last week I upgraded from a donated bike, 2 national medals later. Track is extremely affordable and accessible by comparison, road just isn't.
    Some of us are racing on a shoe string.

Have to agree with nee here.

While I can pay the 15euro, mainly because I don't do too many events, I know alot of people who would struggle with it.

I have said it before, at A3 and A4 level, get rid of monetary prizes. They are a huge addition to the cost of running a race and entirely unnecessary, i haven't met an A4 rider yet who hasn't ridden a race because the prize pot was too small.

I only take part in events in my locale or I know someone is driving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Totally agree on the money for prizes for A3 and A4's, if it keeps the overall costs down for a club running the race/races.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

90% of A3 &, A4 lads head off each Sunday with no idea of prize money, it all about the pts for most.

dahat wrote: »
    90% of A3 &, A4 lads head off each Sunday with no idea of prize money, it all about the pts for most.

All about getting round for the rest :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

CramCycle wrote:
    All about getting round for the rest :pac:

..... in one piece and not getting dropped!

That was all that ever bothered me in A4!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Quick two minute review of an average open race.

Rent sign on venue/showers/parking
    Buy Insurance indemnity for venue
    Pay for 2 x ambulances plus 4 trained personnel
    4 x Commisaires
    Photo finish camera
    30 x marshals/drivers giving up four hours minimum on the day - 120 hours.
    Fuel for 4 lead cars, 4 comm cars
    Tea/coffee/ sandwiches for 100+ people
    Cash prizes for 4 x 8 riders plus extras

Numerous meetings over months, texts, messages, course inspections, risk assessment, contacts with council, third parties, social media, arrange finish line truck, mark roads, erect signage, beg steal or borrow extra radios, listen to riders who seem surprised to have to produce a licence or that you haven’t change of another €50 note, try to decipher sign sheets scribbled as if they were giving autographs.

Clean up venue left in an absolute state by some riders, clean up car park, type up results and publish. Get email/text expecting us to locate mislaid glasses/HR strap or computer. Hope the woman who complained last year about a cyclist pissing in her driveway while her children were in the garden is away this year.

Yeah, cyclists are being robbed by clubs by having to pay €15 euro and a booking fee to take part in their hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

MichealD wrote: »
    Yeah, cyclists are being robbed by clubs by having to pay €15 euro and a booking fee to take part in their hobby.

Don't you know, clubs are falling over themselves to run races for €16.05/head

Looks like its going to be a cracking day.

They've cancelled the women's race. Cork cancelled their women's races too. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

nee wrote:
    They've cancelled the women's race. Cork cancelled their women's races too. Such a shame.

Both coursea would be considered undulating. Wonder is that a reason why so few pre-registered? Can't blame the organisers for binning them. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink comes to mind here.

Both coursea would be considered undulating. Wonder is that a reason why so few pre-registered? Can't blame the organisers for binning them. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink comes to mind here.

The courses have absolutely nothing to do with it.
    99% of us enter our races on the day cos our races never fill out. We had no idea that the races viability was going to be decided by online entry. Hugely disappointing to lose two races cos of pre entry we didn't know about. If we knew that was the arbiter of viability them we'd do it. In three years of racing I've only ever pre entered nationals and omagh. Again if we knew it was conditional on that we'd have pre entered.
    Ever single women's only race advertised gets a field. Mightn't be huge, but it's there. I have and do cross the country for a guaranteed women's only race. I don't travel for a 'if we get the numbers there'll be one if we don't ye're in with the guys' situation.
    It's such a pity to lose two of the few women's only races in the calendar.

nee wrote:
    The courses have absolutely nothing to do with it. 99% of us enter our races on the day cos our races never fill out. We had no idea that the races viability was going to be decided by online entry. Hugely disappointing to lose two races cos of pre entry we didn't know about. If we knew that was the arbiter of viability them we'd do it. In three years of racing I've only ever pre entered nationals and omagh. Again if we knew it was conditional on that we'd have pre entered. Ever single women's only race advertised gets a field. Mightn't be huge, but it's there. I have and do cross the country for a guaranteed women's only race. I don't travel for a 'if we get the numbers there'll be one if we don't ye're in with the guys' situation. It's such a pity to lose two of the few women's only races in the calendar.

Well Eddie Tobin races were pre-registered for every cat for men's so why should it be any different for the women? Any reason why the women won't pre-reg?

Well Eddie Tobin races were pre-registered for every cat for men's so why should it be any different for the women? Any reason why the women won't pre-reg?

Every race I've been to this year have been pre reg for men, enter on the day for women.
    We didn't pre reg cos we didn't know the running of the race was conditional on it, and that we never have to do that (bar nationals and omagh). If you don't know something it's kind of hard to do it! All the organisers had to say was that our race is contingent upon online entries. We can use the internet, it's not a big problem. The problem is organisers not telling us the way women have entered races for the last three years didn't apply to their race. They only had to say it.

• Advertisement

nee wrote:
    Every race I've been to this year have been pre reg for men, enter on the day for women. We didn't pre reg cos we didn't know the running of the race was conditional on it, and that we never have to do that (bar nationals and omagh). If you don't know something it's kind of hard to do it! All the organisers had to say was that our race is contingent upon online entries. We can use the internet, it's not a big problem. The problem is organisers not telling us the way women have entered races for the last three years didn't apply to their race. They only had to say it.

It was clear as day that every race was pre-reg for them.

Advertisement