Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses and Taxis Parking Ilegally On Manor Street

• 23-06-2018 11:27pm

We are a young family living on Manor Street. Outside our house the road is a double yellow line/Cycling lane where taxis and buses keep parking there late at night on Friday/Saturdays and leaving their engines running/ beeping........

For the past few months I have been back and forth with the council and they finally gave me in writing that they should not be parking there. I was told to call the Guards when they are doing it...... which I have done very often.

The other night I was talking to taxi driver outside my door and kinda just asked him could he move on and he told me that his company is parking here under the advise of the Gardai Superintendent. There was a bunch of loud buses tonight from T & T coaches, so I rang them up and I got snapped at on the phone by the person who answered me saying the Superintendent told them to park there. (person on the phone was very rude)

Surely the Superintendent can't advise taxis/buses to park on double yellow lines? Outside residential houses where kids are getting woken up by the house rattling from the buses........ :mad:
    I have emailed the Superintendent to see if he actually gave them the ok to park there…….. Anyone have any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Use Twitter to spread the word.

• Use Twitter to spread the word.

I will get on that actually, thanks for the advise. I mean I dislike the taxis there and they can wake us up occassionaly but the big massive buses shaking the houses are ridiculous........no respect for the law from the bus drivers parking on double yellow lines/cycling lane.

Actually kinda irritates me as a cycling as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Best of luck, I find too is if you CC an email to the council with all local councillors and TD's generally something gets done.

• Best of luck, I find too is if you CC an email to the council with all local councillors and TD's generally something gets done.

I will also do that, thanks for the advice.

Couldn't believe how rude T and T coaches were when I rang them and asked them to park more up by the nightclubs where there is no houses. Snapped at me and hung up the phone on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Remember, an election is coming in the next 12 months. Politicians will bend over backwards to get your vote.

• Advertisement

• CeilingFly wrote: »
    Remember, an election is coming in the next 12 months. Politicians will bend over backwards to get your vote.

Any politician you would recommend who would be more likely to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder if they are 'parking' as such?
    They are stopped with engine running, and presumably with driver on board.
    The running engines of the buses are the annoyance to the householder apparently ..... "kids are getting woken up by the house rattling from the buses".

How is this any more of an interference with children sleeping than traffic on the road?

I doubt very much if a garda super gave 'permission' for anyone to park on double yellow lines.

• I wonder if they are 'parking' as such?
    The running engines of the buses are the annoyance to the householder apparently ..... "kids are getting woken up by the house rattling from the buses".

How is this any more of an interference with children sleeping than traffic on the road?

I doubt very much if a garda super gave 'permission' for anyone to park on double yellow lines.

You aren't allowed stop a bus on double yellow lanes in a cycling zone.

My problem is with taxis and buses neither should be there. The taxis are literally using it as an unofficial taxi rank, its a cycling lane

How is a massive bus parking one foot from my front door different than traffic on the road is that a serious question? Because it's a freakng bus shaking the house......

My problem is with taxis and buses neither should be there. The taxis are literally using it as an unofficial taxi rank, its a cycling lane

How is a massive bus parking one foot from my front door different than traffic on the road is that a serious question? Because it's a freakng bus shaking the house......

Really?

Maybe a picture showing the road layout and a parked bus might help us to appreciate the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Really?

Maybe a picture showing the road layout and a parked bus might help us to appreciate the problem.

1. The bus is parked outside his house, with engine on. It would never ever do this during the day.
    2. IT'S NIGHT TIME. So I am assuming everyone is asleep/trying to sleep.

Response to the OP: Contact Eddie Mulligan, he seems proactive in these kind of things. After that, contact Sen Paudie Coffey, TD John Halligan and TD Seamus Cullinan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Really?

Is it really that difficult to imagine what a bus parked outside a roadside doorway looks like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It happened near the Kazbar. Before the area was done up, there was a taxi rank down at the junction with an overflow area in the Applemarket. Taxi drivers just parked in the marked taxi rank and the double yellow lined area behind it. I passed one evening as the Gardai were moving them, maybe handing out tickets too. Being taxi drivers, they didn't like having to obey the same laws as us mere mortals and held protests until they were allowed to park on the double yellow lines.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Is it really that difficult to imagine what a bus parked outside a roadside doorway looks like?

It sure is, if, as has been claimed, the bus is one foot from the door and shaking the house.

• It sure is, if, as has been claimed, the bus is one foot from the door and shaking the house.

Come down next saturday after midnight and have a look for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 27,986 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You need to make things difficult for them to incentivise them to find a different place to park. Can you get a few neighbours together and try the IBikeDublin tactic of taking back the lane:

https://twitter.com/laoisboyu21/status/912730389197795328

Getting onto politicians is a good idea - try making a fuss on social media with photos and videos and tagging politicians in it. Videos of bus drivers swearing at you would go down a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wonder if they are 'parking' as such?

If you had ever had the experience of being in a road side bedroom with a large vehicle - or even a car - standing outside with its engine running then you would know how disturbing it is, much more so than occasionally passing traffic. If you have never experienced it then really, stay out of the discussion.

• looksee wrote: »
    If you had ever had the experience of being in a road side bedroom with a large vehicle - or even a car - standing outside with its engine running then you would know how disturbing it is, much more so than occasionally passing traffic. If you have never experienced it then really, stay out of the discussion.

Exactly.

Living on Manor Street for a godo few years now and I don't even hear the traffic outside anymore. My sitting room is about two feet from the road and I hear nadda even during peak traffic, I am just so used to the traffic now its just background noise.

The problem at night is the taxis because they don't even try keep the noise down, beeping etc and the buses literally rattle the house when they are parking outside. Really sucks when you have a 1.5 year old trying to sleep and the bus is stopping to leave drunk people off with them screaming and the bus rattling the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,986 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got a fairly prompt and effective response from the NTA on a complaint I made about a bus company that had their buses waiting on double-yellow lined spot in Dublin. It was a different scenario to yours, in that it was a bus on a scheduled route. They were using their first stop as a waiting area, with buses there for 20-30 minutes before departure on double-yellow lines. Within a couple of days of making the complaint, the buses weren't waiting there any more. I've no idea where they are waiting, but it's not on the double-yellow strip.

It might be worth following up and seeing if they would do anything for your scenario.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/contact-us/intro-and-general-enquiries-press-contacts-and-oireachtas-liaison/comments-or-complaints/

• I got a fairly prompt and effective response from the NTA on a complaint I made about a bus company that had their buses waiting on double-yellow lined spot in Dublin. It was a different scenario to yours, in that it was a bus on a scheduled route. They were using their first stop as a waiting area, with buses there for 20-30 minutes before departure on double-yellow lines. Within a couple of days of making the complaint, the buses weren't waiting there any more. I've no idea where they are waiting, but it's not on the double-yellow strip.

It might be worth following up and seeing if they would do anything for your scenario.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/contact-us/intro-and-general-enquiries-press-contacts-and-oireachtas-liaison/comments-or-complaints/
    I'll look into that tomorrow, thanks for the advice :)

looksee wrote: »

If you want me to stay out of any discussion on Boards then you had best use your mod powers to achieve it because I do not take kindly to being told to do so. In fact I was out until you posted that.

I know of no home on Manor Street where a bus can park "one foot from the door", and I asked for a pic to show that.
    Would you care to show me? No?

I don't believe it ..... but if someone wishes to show me I will admit my error.

Neither do I believe that the house shakes from a bus being parked outside with engine idling.
    If I lived in such a building I would leave immediately as it should be condemned if that happens.

It was (still is?) against the law to beep the car horn without good cause after a certain time in the evening.
    If that is happening then those offending vehicles can be reported.
    If vehicles are parked illegally then they too can be reported.
    Oh yeah ...... I guess pics might be required in those cases too!

It does no one any good to have the facts of the case hyped up out of all reasonableness.
    My only gripe was with those two statements, and as yet neither have been addressed by you or anyone else.

Bus parked one foot from the door ........
    Bus idling shaking the house .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Put down some bollards. Or landmines.

• If you want me to stay out of any discussion on Boards then you had best use your mod powers to achieve it because I do not take kindly to being told to do so. In fact I was out until you posted that.

I know of no home on Manor Street where a bus can park "one foot from the door", and I asked for a pic to show that.
    Would you care to show me? No?

I don't believe it ..... but if someone wishes to show me I will admit my error.

Neither do I believe that the house shakes from a bus being parked outside with engine idling.
    If I lived in such a building I would leave immediately as it should be condemned if that happens.

It was (still is?) against the law to beep the car horn without good cause after a certain time in the evening.
    If that is happening then those offending vehicles can be reported.
    If vehicles are parked illegally then they too can be reported.
    Oh yeah ...... I guess pics might be required in those cases too!

It does no one any good to have the facts of the case hyped up out of all reasonableness.
    My only gripe was with those two statements, and as yet neither have been addressed by you or anyone else.

Bus parked one foot from the door ........
    Bus idling shaking the house .......

I told you, you are welcome to come down to Manor Street next weekend and I will show you first hand. I am not lying or over exaggerating in any form.

Now I am not being rude but I am not looking to discuss with someone whether or not I am lying, I am just looking for some helpful advice :)

edit: Seen as you are being so pedantic about the one foot claim I made............ You're right, from my front door step to where the bus was parked is in fact two feet and that is no exaggeration.

I told you, you are welcome to come down to Manor Street next weekend and I will show you first hand. I am not lying or over exaggerating in any form.

Now I am not being rude but I am not looking to discuss with someone whether or not I am lying, I am just looking for some helpful advice :)

edit: Seen as you are being so pedantic about the one foot claim I made............ You're right, from my front door step to where the bus was parked is in fact two feet and that is no exaggeration.

Thank you.
    It was not my intention to insult you or infer you are a liar.

I would certainly be taking some actions ...... some of which might well be 'doubtful' if all else failed.
    I was also serious about the 'house shaking' ...... but I guess you probably meant the engine vibrations could be felt inside the house, rather than the house actually shaking.

• Thank you.
    It was not my intention to insult you or infer you are a liar.

I would certainly be taking some actions ...... some of which might well be 'doubtful' if all else failed.
    I was also serious about the 'house shaking' ...... but I guess you probably meant the engine vibrations could be felt inside the house, rather than the house actually shaking.

Yeah that is what I meant, the vibrations can be felt inside the house. Either way even if there was no noise they are still breaking the law parking in a cycling lane/double yellow lines, its a safety hazard as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Use Twitter to spread the word.

Definitely, and take photos include them in tweets

Yeah that is what I meant, the vibrations can be felt inside the house. Either way even if there was no noise they are still breaking the law parking in a cycling lane/double yellow lines, its a safety hazard as much as anything.

I agree, and would do all I could to stop the practice if in your situation.
    That will require some effort on your part ....... taking pictures and video (with sound) and properly dated and logged.

If you have any neighbours who would be prepared to 'stand with you' then as a group ye would be given much better reception and more likely action taken.

• I agree, and would do all I could to stop the practice if in your situation.
    That will require some effort on your part ....... taking pictures and video (with sound) and properly dated and logged.

If you have any neighbours who would be prepared to 'stand with you' then as a group ye would be given much better reception and more likely action taken.

Most of my neighbours are Romas are students none are the type to stand wtih me :D I'll be moving out very soon myself but I feel I should stand for myself until I move.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Most of my neighbours are Romas are students none are the type to stand wtih me :D I'll be moving out very soon myself but I feel I should stand for myself until I move.

For what it's worth I'm often one of the people standing with ibikedublin. I'd stand with you. My wife and I have been looking at moving to Waterford and the biggest thing in its favour is being cheaper than Dublin and having the greenway. Disappointed there's no shortage of selfish, inconsiderate bus/taxi operators in Waterford too.

In addition to vibrations, auto exhaust is associated with higher risks of lung disease and cancer, auto noise is associated with higher risks of heart disease and depression, and there's some early evidence that auto exhaust exposure in the third trimester of pregnancy correlates to an increased risk of autism in the child.

But for the bus driver sure it's grand, just park on the pavement. It's not their kid after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Hadn't even realized one of the houses that caught our eye is on Henry street, by Manor street. This thread is concerning in light of that.

• Advertisement

• CalRobert wrote: »
    Hadn't even realized one of the houses that caught our eye is on Henry street, by Manor street. This thread is concerning in light of that.

I have been living in the area for nearly 10 years and I would advise to stay away from this area if possible, its nothing but trouble. The loud traffic is only some of the issues, there is constant problems with drunks/anti social behaviour in this area (which isn't surprising considering its near all the clubs).

Advertisement