Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Housing - Rent Means Test

Options
  • 20-06-2018 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Seeing more social housing thread of late - so whats one more.....

Arguments around Social Housing (SH) tend to follow a fairly identifiable pattern -
    • someone says 'free house';
    • someone else says 'not free house its means tested'
    and so on.

I would like to know though, preferably from current and former SH tenants - how enforced or pro-active are we about this means test?
    Do you have to send a P60 in every year?

If you're shelf-stacking in Tesco when you first get your home do they then require you to submit proof of earnings as you work your way up to Area Manager (for example)?

Or is it as I suspect that once you get the home nobody bothers you for the rest of your life and you're paying a pittance for a property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes it's a rigorous yearly review.
    Rent is 15-20% of income, min ~€30pw to max ~€200pw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Here's an even better idea. The people who start these threads complaining about the dole and such are clearly unhappy with their lives, their lot and their lifestyle. Why don't you and your ilk go out and find a job you're happy in and work towards an income you're happy with. Better yet you could even try the dole. I don't know about you but the definition of life satisfaction isn't about being on the dole. When I was doing my PhD I was on fairly low money compared to a lifestyle I could have had on rent allowance combined with the dole. That wasn't the point though. The point was that I was working towards a lifestyle I was going to enjoy. Sitting there focusing on what people on the low sum of money that is the dole were doing would be pointless.

Find a better job, happier marriage and better life and I guarantee you'll stop worrying about people on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

At this point I think it would be worth handing out free houses to dole-drawers just purely for the sake of pissing off the dole bashers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I worked in social housing.

A rent assessment was required to be returned every year. If the forms were not returned on time, or incorrectly completed, or without acceptable proof of income etc, the tenants were put on the maximum weekly rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

El Weirdo wrote: »

A rent assessment was required to be returned every year. If the forms were not returned on time, or incorrectly completed, or without acceptable proof of income etc, the tenants were put on the maximum weekly rent.

/thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

And what happens if the tenants don't pay their rent? Are they turfed out, or are they left to stay on rent free for years on end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

That's good information. Thanks.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Here's an even better idea. The people who start these threads complaining about the dole and such are clearly unhappy with their lives, their lot and their lifestyle. Why don't you and your ilk go out and find a job you're happy in and work towards an income you're happy with. Better yet you could even try the dole. I don't know about you but the definition of life satisfaction isn't about being on the dole. When I was doing my PhD I was on fairly low money compared to a lifestyle I could have had on rent allowance combined with the dole. That wasn't the point though. The point was that I was working towards a lifestyle I was going to enjoy. Sitting there focusing on what people on the low sum of money that is the dole were doing would be pointless.

Find a better job, happier marriage and better life and I guarantee you'll stop worrying about people on the dole.

Better still - we could try and fix a broken system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The houses are not free. Subsidized? yes but not free. Its about 15% of your income you pay. Every December you must fill in and return a detailed rent review form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

zell12 wrote: »
    Yes it's a rigorous yearly review.
    Rent is 15-20% of income, min ~€30pw to max ~€200pw

Nice cushy number for those that can get it.

My rent is currently 35% of my net income and that's for one room in a shared house!

• Advertisement

And what happens if the tenants don't pay their rent? Are they turfed out, or are they left to stay on rent free for years on end?

Councils are currently owed €65,000,000 in arrears so it would appear the approach varies at best.

Council tenants owe €65m in unpaid rent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

steddyeddy wrote: »
    /thread.

.. Not quite, because the arrears can just keep on building and evictions are rare.

The problem with social housing (and welfare in general) is that it doesn't encourage people to better their situations beyond a certain point. After that point, the costs spike hugely and suddenly once they pass whatever low threshold.

Welfare and indeed social housing should be there for those who need it in tough times, not a low rent house for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Diceicle wrote: »
    Better still - we could try and fix a broken system.

Depends what has broken it? And on your attitude to the broken people who need it.

As the OP etc show here, there is astounding ignorance re basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    .. Not quite, because the arrears can just keep on building and evictions are rare.

The problem with social housing (and welfare in general) is that it doesn't encourage people to better their situations beyond a certain point. After that point, the costs spike hugely and suddenly once they pass whatever low threshold.

Welfare and indeed social housing should be there for those who need it in tough times, not a low rent house for life.[/QUOTE]

Please read the thread? You have facts wrong

rob316 wrote: »
    The houses are not free. Subsidized? yes but not free. Its about 15% of your income you pay. Every December you must fill in and return a detailed rent review form.

Thanks - I'm aware working tenants pay below market rates/nominal amount - if they're working - but it would technically be a free house if you're receiving free money from the state at the end of the day.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Depends what has broken it? And on your attitude to the broken people who need it.

As the OP etc show here, there is astounding ignorance re basics.

I'm just asking a question and objectively taking on facts as they're presented. I'm open to being corrected. You've got a bit of an attitude.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Nice cushy number for those that can get it.

My rent is currently 35% of my net income and that's for one room in a shared house!

There's a housing list feel free to add your name to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Seeing more social housing thread of late - so whats one more.....

Arguments around Social Housing (SH) tend to follow a fairly identifiable pattern -
    • someone says 'free house';
    • someone else says 'not free house its means tested'
    and so on.

I would like to know though, preferably from current and former SH tenants - how enforced or pro-active are we about this means test?
    Do you have to send a P60 in every year?

If you're shelf-stacking in Tesco when you first get your home do they then require you to submit proof of earnings as you work your way up to Area Manager (for example)?

Or is it as I suspect that once you get the home nobody bothers you for the rest of your life and you're paying a pittance for a property?

The problem isn't social housing itself. There has to be a net to catch people that aren't doing to well.

There are 2 problems as I see it:
    1: Said net is to coarse. There are people deliberately banging out lots of kids to get a free house off the council. It should be done on a first come, first served basis with means testing. You shouldn't be bumped up the ladder because you've had a bunch of kids. Wait til you have the house, then have the kids.
    It's also extremely sexist, a single man has absolutely no chance of getting a council house.
    2: Council estates are kips, name me one council estate that is a good area. Generally speaking they are housing a lot of people that don't work and have many kids. A lot of the parents (Not all) are not great parents (and how can they be when they've got 4+ kids to look after). This breeds serious social/anti-social/crime issues.
    This begs the question, what kind of people would want to live in a place like that?

The councils used to build estates but that's been stopped as the estates were a disaster and it actually works out cheaper for them to go to the market to buy a 2nd hand house.
    These end up being proxy council estates IE the council owns or is paying for rent for at least 40% of the residents living in an estate.
    Dublin's latest Proxy Council estate (Clongriffen) is already on it's way to sh*thole central. Gangs of local youths vandalising Trains and the train station is only the begining

Social housing should only be for those who cannot work or have a serious impairment or are trying to go back to college to study, not people who are happy to work in a local shop there whole life doing 15 hours a week on min wage.

Just to add to this, Pubs in council estates are busiest on weekdays that the Dole is paid out. What does that say?

And lets not forget a lot of the 'income' in these situations is a welfare handout from the state. They are simply giving the taxpayer back 15% of the money the taxpayer just gave to them and claiming they have paid that themselves.

income thresholds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I rented a local authority house from 1999 to 2004. My circumstances and income improved during that time. My last weekly rent was 114 euro in 2004 before I left based on a % of my wages and a flat amount due to my wife working. We had a rent review every year requiring proof of earnings to be supplied. If not the rent was increased by 10% on the previous years figures. My mortgage now is 640 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

But people don't get removed if their income increases right?
    The just move up the rent scale, all the way to the maximum and then stay there.

I dealt with an engineer earning around €80,000 who was in social housing (administered by a housing agency). When he had come to Ireland he earned far less and got on social housing but was never removed when his circumstances improved.

No hard feelings, the man was a hard working contributing member of society. However it seems perverse to have many people earning less than him subsidising his housing while facing the vagaries of the private rental market themselves.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I rented a local authority house from 1999 to 2004. My circumstances and income improved during that time. My last weekly rent was 114 euro in 2004 before I left based on a % of my wages and a flat amount due to my wife working. We had a rent review every year requiring proof of earnings to be supplied. If not the rent was increased by 10% on the previous years figures. My mortgage now is 640 a month.

Thanks.
    Am I taking you up wrong or did you have to leave as you earned too much?

Nice idea, but unfortunately in my stupidity all the hard work i put in in my education and career up to this point has put me above the income threshold.

I'm one of those mugs that pays 35% of my income for a room in a house I'm never in because i spend over 50 hours a week working.

grahambo wrote:
    Just to add to this, Pubs in council estates are busiest on weekdays that the Dole is paid out. What does that say?

What council estates in Ireland have Pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Thanks.
    Am I taking you up wrong or did you have to leave as you earned too much?
    You simply cannot earn too much in social housing.

Diceicle wrote:
    Thanks. Am I taking you up wrong or did you have to leave as you earned too much?

No I left when I had enough saved to buy my own home. However I had made a lot of friends in the area I lived in as had my children tough leaving but it was our choice. I would not like to see a situation where people were forced to leave their home just because their income had improved. Charge them a market rent based on circumstance.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    But people don't get removed if their income increases right?
    The just move up the rent scale, all the way to the maximum and then stay there.

I dealt with an engineer earning around €80,000 who was in social housing (administered by a housing agency). When he had come to Ireland he earned far less and got on social housing but was never removed when his circumstances improved.

No hard feelings, the man was a hard working contributing member of society. However it seems perverse to have many people earning less than him subsidising his housing while facing the vagaries of the private rental market themselves.

Maybe the man bought the house.

I'm in a council house the last 8 years, I'll be moving soon and buying a house. Why? because I want a house, with a garden and more bedrooms. I am massively grateful for the council home I got in a city centre block full of good hard working tenants.

Why would you remove someone because their circumstance improved? what if they were removed and lost their high paying job then? Whatever hogwash your reading there isn't many people on €80-€100k willing living in a council house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What council estates in Ireland have Pubs?

Edenmore - Concorde
    Kilbarrack - Foxhound and Madigans
    Donaghmede - Donaghmede Inn <= Obviously not all of Donaghmede is council estate (In fact a lot was bought back from the council)
    Darndale - Newtown House and Martins
    Ballymun - Many
    Finglas - Many <= Obviously not all of Finglas is council estate
    Jobstown Inn - Jobstown
    etc
    etc

I don't know many council estates on the south side of the city.

But the absolute best of the lot is the Furry Bog in White church
    I think the Viper owns that bar, it's a scary place.
    I went in there a few times and I was very nervous in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Maybe the man bought the house.

I'm in a council house the last 8 years, I'll be moving soon and buying a house. Why? because I want a house, with a garden and more bedrooms. I am massively grateful for the council home I got in a city centre block full of good hard working tenants.

Why would you remove someone because their circumstance improved? what if they were removed and lost their high paying job then? Whatever hogwash your reading there isn't many people on €80-€100k willing living in a council house.

This isn't hogwash I read. It's something I encountered personally. The man had not bought the home.

I agree that such circumstances are rare, although we cannot know how rare. I agree that removing someone from the list in such cases may be bad for a lot of reasons. However giving subsidised houses to people earning twice the average full time wage is a poor way to spend the social housing budget and not fair on the lower earners subsidising it.

Perhaps an incentivised home purchase scheme may be best to move such people onto the property ladder and provide a social housing space to someone in greater need.

Best of luck with your future purchase.

Advertisement