Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Science in Computing, Software Development Specialization

Options
  • 14-11-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,

I'm considering doing the Higher Diploma in Science in Computing, Software Development Specialization course in NCI in the new year and was wondering if anyone has done it? If so, would you recommend it?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Hey Tony,

I dont know if this is any use to you now but I have just completed the course, I am a mature student with two young kids and working full time.

I did this course through Springboard which was set up initially for unemployed but extended to workers looking to change to career.

The course was set out as 9 modules with a project over 4 semesters with lectures three nights a week (4 hours) which I started September 16.

Semester 1 was three modules, without warning semester 2 was four modules(which is way too much work) without any consultation to students and in semester 3 the college effectively tried to blackball us into two modules and year end project again way too much work.

During semester 1 the college also rolled out a one year version which included Saturdays and through summer, this course started in January, it was fairly clear the colege were trying to compress my course into 18 months to free lecturers up in January for the other course.

Net result of the college ****ing us over was me failing a semester 2 exam which was my strongest module as we had four CAs, three projects and three end of semester exams. In one of the projects for Ruby on Rails I couldnt get started until week 6 of 12 as my server wouldnt start and the lecturer or assistant couldnt get it working(Rails 101), the lecturer was changed after week 5.

The exams for the course are in January so you dont get a break from study, they have reading weeks at mid semester but that is studying / project.

We were of the understanding the qualification was the weighted average of year two but apparently its both years.

If you are on Springboard I found DCU a mile better than NCI for Computing and a friend did the H Dip in software in Blanch and found the content and lecturers excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Shemale wrote: »
    Hey Tony,

I dont know if this is any use to you now but I have just completed the course, I am a mature student with two young kids and working full time.

I did this course through Springboard which was set up initially for unemployed but extended to workers looking to change to career.

The course was set out as 9 modules with a project over 4 semesters with lectures three nights a week (4 hours) which I started September 16.

Semester 1 was three modules, without warning  semester 2 was four modules(which is way too much work) without any consultation to students  and in semester 3 the college effectively tried to blackball us into two modules and year end project again way too much work.  

During semester 1 the college also rolled out a one year version which included Saturdays and through summer, this course started in January,  it was fairly clear the colege were trying to compress my course into 18 months to free lecturers up in January for the other course.

Net result of the college ****ing us over was me failing a semester 2 exam which was my strongest module as we had four CAs,  three projects and three end of semester exams. In one of the projects for Ruby on Rails I couldnt get started until week 6 of 12 as my server wouldnt start and the lecturer or assistant couldnt get it working(Rails 101), the lecturer was changed after week 5.

The exams for the course are in January so you dont get a break from study,  they have reading weeks at mid semester but that is studying / project.

We were of the understanding the qualification was the weighted average of year two but apparently its both years.

If you are on Springboard I found DCU a mile better than NCI for Computing and a friend did the H Dip in software in Blanch and found the content and lecturers excellent.

Hi,
    I'm beginning this course in a few weeks. It is now 2 years part time, 2 evenings per week and certain Saturdays. Aside from the points you've made, how did you find the course content and lecturers? Do you feel confident entering the industry? Have you gotten a job as a result of finishing the course?
    Thanks in advance

IrishKev wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm beginning this course in a few weeks. It is now 2 years part time, 2 evenings per week and certain Saturdays. Aside from the points you've made, how did you find the course content and lecturers? Do you feel confident entering the industry? Have you gotten a job as a result of finishing the course?
    Thanks in advance

Hey Kev,

To be fair to them the content was quite good, there were three very good lecturers a couple of good ones and some who must be friends of someone in there and were teaching by the seat of their pants.

I had secured a job while almost finished the DCU Cert course, a friend in HR told me to keep kicking doors in and someone will take a chance on you as they can see you are working hard and working hard at college the same time. I am working for a company that make software for the industry I switched from and I think that would be a sensible move.

I am a very confident person and I pick stuff up quickly all I can say to you is give it as much time as you can and you will take the career step in your stride, I was doing mental hours at the expense of sleep, three hours study before work, a bit at lunch and commuting and try to do another three in the evening and a good few hours at the weekend.

I am not sure what your own situation is in relation to living and kids but I found out late in the day that you could do the CAs in the college rather than online, I had a few issues with the kids making noise, interrupting and having to help my wife on CA nights and it cost me a lot of marks.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Shemale wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks in advance

Hey Kev,

To be fair to them the content was quite good, there were three very good lecturers a couple of good ones and some who must be friends of someone in there and were teaching by the seat of their pants.

I had secured a job while almost finished the DCU Cert course, a friend in HR told me to keep kicking doors in and someone will take a chance on you as they can see you are working hard and working hard at college the same time. I am working for a company that make software for the industry I switched from and I think that would be a sensible move.

I am a very confident person and I pick stuff up quickly all I can say to you is give it as much time as you can and you will take the career step in your stride, I was doing mental hours at the expense of sleep, three hours study before work, a bit at lunch and commuting and try to do another three in the evening and a good few hours at the weekend.

I am not sure what your own situation is in relation to living and kids but I found out late in the day that you could do the CAs in the college rather than online, I had a few issues with the kids making noise, interrupting and having to help my wife on CA nights and it cost me a lot of marks.

Hope this helps
    Thanks mate, that's a very helpful reply
    I'm kid free so barring the cat kicking up a fuss I should be ok to do the stuff online!
    Were the career bridge people helpful? Did you have to do work placement? If so, how long was it?
    Cheers

Thanks mate, that's a very helpful reply
    I'm kid free so barring the cat kicking up a fuss I should be ok to do the stuff online!
    Were the career bridge people helpful? Did you have to do work placement? If so, how long was it?
    Cheers

No bother man.

I had a job in the industry before starting so I got an exemption from career bridge. I did get plenty of mails from them and they seem to be all over it.

One thing I think the career bridge things were around 5 which struck me as odd especially if you are in another industry plus lectures start at 6 which would mean you are potentially on for 5 hours in a row (only guessing here)

• Advertisement
Advertisement