Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can anyone identify this medal.

• 23-02-2018 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

This is an Irish medal, it has the red hand on it. Can anyone tell me what organisation it was associated with? Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Hi.....I'm hoping somebody can help me identity a medal too. These belonged to my Grandfather,

I know the left and middle but can't find anything for the right, cross and purple ribbon.

Any help greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

anything written on the back of it?
    cant make out any writing on the front from the ficture

dolittle wrote: »

Theres no writing on the front, just a plain cross. Theyre in a sealed case and im reluctant to open it as wouldve been sealed by my grandfather but if i cant find out what it is ill consider opening it

Bump.....in the hope somebody can give any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

368100 wrote: »
    Bump.....in the hope somebody can give any suggestions?

I'll ask a lad at work tomorrow, he'll know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Cel333

Many thanks for your reply. No nothing on the back. The medal is only about tge aize if a penny/cent.

Many thanks for your reply. No nothing on the back. The medal is only about the size of a penny/cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cel333 wrote: »
    This is an Irish medal, it has the red hand on it. Can anyone tell me what organisation it was associated with? Many thanks
    It's odd.
    Left is Munster, bottom is Ulster, right is Connacht, and top is Leinster.

Leinster, Connacht, Ulster, Munster. Was the photo flipped left to right?
    I know the left and middle but can't find anything for the right, cross and purple ribbon.
    Looking through Google, it seems it's a Celtic cross.
    https://www.emerald-isle-gifts.com/international-celtic-jewellery/celtic-silver-cross/woven-round-celtic--cross-silver-pendant.asp
    http://www.treasurecast.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=633

Did he fight alongside the scots?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

the_syco wrote: »
    It's odd.

The photo is not flipped, since the arms of Connacht are correctly oriented - eagle on the left, armed hand on the right.

The medal seems to be a fairly cheap production - poor detail, low quality enamel. I note that the red hand of Ulster has retained its colour but blues, yellows, greens in the arms of the other provinces, if they were ever there, have faded or fallen off. I don't think this is any kind of official or government medal - more likely either a commercial souvenir or a membership badge of some organisation.

The image in the centre looks like someone from the early to mid-nineteenth century. It's hard to say, but it could be Dan O'Connell. Plenty of medals and badges with Daniel O'Connell on them have been struck, most of them of much higher quality than this. The celtic cross shape and the four provinces iconography, though, strikes me as later than O'Connell's time, so this may be some kind of anniversary souvenir - maybe from 1929, the 100th anniversary of Catholic Emancipation?

What brilliant information thank you so much. My family are from Galway in Ireland, this was found in the farmhouse built in 1840. My grandfather lived there from 1890 to 1970. This medal could have been his or his fathers. I agree that silhouette looks like Daniel O Conell. Would it be an old Irish Republican Association medal? Again thank you for such excellent information.
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    The photo is not flipped, since the arms of Connacht are correctly oriented - eagle on the left, armed hand on the right.

The medal seems to be a fairly cheap production - poor detail, low quality enamel. I note that the red hand of Ulster has retained its colour but blues, yellows, greens in the arms of the other provinces, if they were ever there, have faded or fallen off. I don't think this is any kind of official or government medal - more likely either a commercial souvenir or a membership badge of some organisation.

The image in the centre looks like someone from the early to mid-nineteenth century. It's hard to say, but it could be Dan O'Connell. Plenty of medals and badges with Daniel O'Connell on them have been struck, most of them of much higher quality than this. The celtic cross shape and the four provinces iconography, though, strikes me as later than O'Connell's time, so this may be some kind of anniversary souvenir - maybe from 1929, the 100th anniversary of Catholic Emancipation?

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for your reply. Good information, no the medal is not flipped. My grandfather lived in Galway from mid 1800's. It could be an old Irish Republican Army medal I suppose. Would this have signified a united four provances maybe ?
    the_syco wrote: »
    It's odd.

Looking through Google, it seems it's a Celtic cross.
    https://www.emerald-isle-gifts.com/international-celtic-jewellery/celtic-silver-cross/woven-round-celtic--cross-silver-pendant.asp
    http://www.treasurecast.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=633

Did he fight alongside the scots?

I meant Irish Republican Army. Would this medal have signified a united four provances maybe?
    What brilliant information thank you so much. My family are from Galway in Ireland, this was found in the farmhouse built in 1840. My grandfather lived there from 1890 to 1970. This medal could have been his or his fathers. I agree that silhouette looks like Daniel O Conell. Would it be an old Irish Republican Association medal? Again thank you for such excellent information.

Thank you
    SSr0 wrote: »
    I'll ask a lad at work tomorrow, he'll know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I meant Irish Republican Army. Would this medal have signified a united four provances maybe?

If the medal is post-1922, it could be some kind of anti-partition thing. But, in that case, why O'Connell (or anyone else from that era)? Partition wasn't even thought of in relation to any of the issues he is associated with, or any of the campaigns that he ran. So I think it's more probably that the four provinces motif is just a broadly nationalist symbol, chosen perhaps because it fits with the four arms of the Celtic cross.

Thank you

Had two Irish history enthusiasts at work look at it and they think it's some sort of religious medal, Lourdes or Order of Malta maybe?

SSr0 wrote: »
    Had two Irish history enthusiasts at work look at it and they think it's some sort of religious medal, Lourdes or Order of Malta maybe?

Is that my one? The celtic cross with purple ribbon?

Is that my one? The celtic cross with purple ribbon?

Yup.

Advertisement