Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake 50s

Options
  • 16-06-2018 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Everyone should be on the lookout as there seems to be a lot of these going around. I was given one by the Credit Union, which was confiscated by the bank about five minutes later. Went back to tell St Dominic's about it and they just didn't give a f##k, couldnt care less, just told me I couldn't prove it was them and that was it. Anyone taking money out of there needs to look very closely at the notes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

bluesfan wrote: »
    Everyone should be on the lookout as there seems to be a lot of these going around. I was given one by the Credit Union, which was confiscated by the bank about five minutes later. Went back to tell St Dominic's about it and they just didn't give a f##k, couldnt care less, just told me I couldn't prove it was them and that was it. Anyone taking money out of there needs to look very closely at the notes.

Good to know...fairness to credit union, what could they do for you, nothing really.they would have chancers in there every day trying to pull fast ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Did you get a photocopy of the note and a receipt for it?

Most banks are very lax and don't bother but if you have a receipt its a lot easier to prove that you were given a fake. If you can somehow prove you had no money when you went into the Credit Union and the only money you had was from them then its their fault.

I'd at least go back in and ask the manager where the sign is that says "Please check your change as we sometimes hand out fakes".

I was in a similar situation with another financial establishment and kicked up enough fuss to get reimbursed. If you don't then no one is ever going to bother training their staff to check notes when they come in over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I did get a receipt from the bank which I showed to the girl who'd given me the money about 20 minutes before. She took it to show someone (I couldn't see who it was from where I was standing) and returned 30 seconds later, pretty much threw it back at me, told me I couldn't prove it came from them and that there's nothing they can do for me in what I can only describe as a snotty manner. I wasn't really expecting money back but I had thought they'd be interested to know they had some fakes. As I said above they just didn't seem to care that they were handing out fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there something visible to the naked eye that one could use to check a note?

Did the bank advise anything?

My argument with the Credit Union would be that not only had they taken in a fake they had also given one out.

Thats getting it wrong twice, bad training, sub standard cashier skills or fraud (cashier notices mistake and just passes the fake on anyway).

How good a fake was it btw? I used to work with note reading machines so always interested to see good fakes and if they would be spotted by the machines - they always were. Some of the fake 50's were good even with fake holograms but it would be the paper and feel that would always be the first thing to give them away but you don't notice that when you have a bundle.

Just to be snotty back I think I'd write to the Credit Union stating what had happened and asking them what they are doing to prevent it happening in the future and why the notes they hand to customers aren't machine checked as the staff obviously can't spot a fake - all the money they get in bulk from the bank will be machine counted and checked? If they find a fake in the 50's they get from the bank they won't be saying oh sure we can't prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

To be honest lads I didn't take much notice of the notes, when the girl gave me them she tucked them into the credit union book. I put that into my pocket, walked across the road to the bank and took them from the book straight into the machine, never paid much notice to the notes themselves.

To be honest lads I didn't take much notice of the notes, when the girl gave me them she tucked them into the credit union book. I put that into my pocket, walked across the road to the bank and took them from the book straight into the machine, never paid much notice to the notes themselves.

That may be common Credit Union practice but it didn't give you a chance to spot a fake so more reason to get back at the credit union.

my3cents wrote: »
    Did you get a photocopy of the note and a receipt for it?

Most banks are very lax and don't bother but if you have a receipt its a lot easier to prove that you were given a fake. If you can somehow prove you had no money when you went into the Credit Union and the only money you had was from them then its their fault.

I'd at least go back in and ask the manager where the sign is that says "Please check your change as we sometimes hand out fakes".

I was in a similar situation with another financial establishment and kicked up enough fuss to get reimbursed. If you don't then no one is ever going to bother training their staff to check notes when they come in over the counter.

Somehow prove you had no money?
    That's nonsense/impoSsible 3 cents in fairness.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Somehow prove you had no money?
    That's nonsense/impoSsible 3 cents in fairness.

Not really its exactly what happened to me. I had an empty wallet opened it in front of a cashier and put a wad of notes straight in it then went off to pay it all in somewhere else. When I went back and complained one of the notes was fake the cashier said that they had seen that I didn't have any other money in my wallet. It would have all been on CCTV if anyone wanted to look.

In the OP's case its probably on CCTV that the note(s) were put into his passbook in the credit union by the cashier and taken out of the passbook when he was in the bank to pay them in.

my3cents wrote: »
    Not really its exactly what happened to me. I had an empty wallet opened it in front of a cashier and put a wad of notes straight in it then went off to pay it all in somewhere else. When I went back and complained one of the notes was fake the cashier said that they had seen that I didn't have any other money in my wallet. It would have all been on CCTV if anyone wanted to look.

In the OP's case its probably on CCTV that the note(s) were put into his passbook in the credit union by the cashier and taken out of the passbook when he was in the bank to pay them in.

I still think that is highly unlikely, if it was me, I'd be thinking, sure how do I know what he did when he left.e.g.make the whole story up, checking cctv to see if your wallet empty would be irrelevant IMO, the 50s I gave you could have been totally legit.even if cctv of putting notes into credit union book and same book opened in bank was sought, how do I know what you did on walk in between,no point in even looking at cctv, unless a fake could be spotted on cctv.unless you are a high roller and a huge client of a business I'd doubt they'd be handing out 50s to you just because you did you said got a bad one from them. Only way I could see them entertaining a complaint like that is if they checked the till you got 50s from and there were other fakes in it, then, yeah fair chance you got dodgy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

****ing hell a credit union that doesn’t even check notes? Wow that really says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

Is there something visible to the naked eye that one could use to check a note?

Did the bank advise anything?

I don't know if this can be found on the new notes with the windows but old style notes have a series of ridges to the left of the number on them. You'll noticed them if you run your nail over them. I assume if people are making fake notes, they wouldn't be able to fake the plastic window very easily so that's something to watch out for. Though, I think the newer ones have some ridging on the lines to the left and right edges.

I worked in a shop near the borderlands years ago when there was a bunch of fake notes going around. This was the main technique we used because we didn't have a light to check.

Advertisement