Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Mushy wrote: »
    I should also say, the press release didn't specifically mention a bassist did it? It just said guitarists James and Jeff, so there may still be a chance of it.

The bassist is just a session guy, Jack Bates (Peter Hook's son). D'arcy knew about him being on board, in fact, she thought it was Jack WHITE and actually thought it was "cool" that he was on board.

Apparently there's been behind the scenes attempts to get D'arcy on board. She said she would do it but it's up to Billy. If the tour starts selling well then I can't see much changing, but if not I could see him getting D'arcy on board to push ticket sales about half way between now and summer.

Whether she's on the recordings on not doesn't matter; the best bass lines were on Gish and SD and she didn't play those, Billy did. She was good for visual and for a female presence, which in fairness will be lacking - early SP always had a very feminine aspect, which worked well with the noisy guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The bassist is just a session guy, Jack Bates (Peter Hook's son). D'arcy knew about him being on board, in fact, she thought it was Jack WHITE and actually thought it was "cool" that he was on board.

Apparently there's been behind the scenes attempts to get D'arcy on board. She said she would do it but it's up to Billy. If the tour starts selling well then I can't see much changing, but if not I could see him getting D'arcy on board to push ticket sales about half way between now and summer.

Whether she's on the recordings on not doesn't matter; the best bass lines were on Gish and SD and she didn't play those, Billy did. She was good for visual and for a female presence, which in fairness will be lacking - early SP always had a very feminine aspect, which worked well with the noisy guitars.

Just found it strange they didn't specify a bassist. Other than that, I fully agree with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

If the tour starts selling well then I can't see much changing, but if not I could see him getting D'arcy on board to push ticket sales about half way between now and summer.

Going by comments online people are suggesting venues chosen are very ambitious; MSG etc.

She played on those as much as James did tbf :) and it would be the same response if he wasn't on board not that I'm disagreeing on the feminine aspect point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

without d'arcy its not a proper reunion. end of. there is a certain live chemistry of the 4 original members that cant be replicated.

I think that if the band had D'Arcy there, that still wouldn't be a guarantee they'd have D'Arcy there. It could be more that they have a headcase who looks a bit like Pete Burns, can't remember how to play, and is liable to have a breakdown mid-way through the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

If you only believe half of what you read the cheese slid off D'arcy's cracker a long time ago. Some relationships can't be repaired

Bring back Ginger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

briany wrote: »
    I think that if the band had D'Arcy there, that still wouldn't be a guarantee they'd have D'Arcy there. It could be more that they have a headcase who looks a bit like Pete Burns, can't remember how to play, and is liable to have a breakdown mid-way through the tour.

True, the more i think about it, there is a lot of information we just don't know. whether Corgan , her or both of them ****ed this up.

One thing is for sure at this stage... she wont be on the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, speaking as a bassist myself, to see Jack Bates' name left out of the announcement and media reports is a bit sad, assuming it's him. It reminds me of the Rolling Stones after Bill Wyman left. They've had the same non-member bassist, Darryl Jones, ever since.

I can understand that SP might be reluctant formally to replace D'arcy, leaving the door open for her possible return in the future. I don't know what Jack thinks - maybe he likes it that way.

Rolling Stone magazine has a history of Smashing Pumpkins Drama since Jimmy's drug problems. It makes for some hair-raising reading. James might be the only sane person of the original four.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

To hear any member of the Pumpkins tell it at various times, the other 3 were a bunch of c@nts/beautiful souls, incredibly talented/dragging the band down, and 'If I ever see any one of them again, it'll be too soon'/'It's so wonderful to have these people back in my life!'.

They've surpassed the Eagles in their levels of intra-band dysfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

There was a fairly decent discussion with Billy on JRE a few months back, he said he basically played what he wants and a number of fans would appreciate that anyway than playing what most wanted to hear :D .

He brought up the GnR reunion and reconnecting with Darcy for the first time in years and such not really an interview (Joe knows nothing about rock music) but worth a gander from what I remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Billy is narcissistic. D'arcy is off her rocker too. It's a real shame that a band's legacy has been dragged through the mud since 2008. He should never have brought them back and this new tour is a shameless corporate cash-in to help him with wrestling debts. It's such a shame that he never got the credit he deserved in the nineties, but most of his recent output is dreadful. I'm selling my SP cds for cheap. If anyone's interested, pm.

• Advertisement

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Billy is narcissistic. D'arcy is off her rocker too. It's a real shame that a band's legacy has been dragged through the mud since 2008. He should never have brought them back and this new tour is a shameless corporate cash-in to help him with wrestling debts. It's such a shame that he never got the credit he deserved in the nineties, but most of his recent output is dreadful. I'm selling my SP cds for cheap. If anyone's interested, pm.

If you have any vinyl, I'll take it off your hands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The vinyl pumpkins releases from the 90s had wonderful artwork on the sleeves, I was very fortunate to pick up quite a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I don't have any vinyl. Does vinyl sound so much better? I've never heard any vinyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Some nice live performances on youtube at the moment with James in the lineup. Although a far cry from 90's Pumpkins, he brings a little bit of that magic back into the music. Just shows the importance of each member of the band, to make it all come together. Be nice to see D'arcy back, but dint know if she is in the right mind for it.

New single Solara:

I quite like it as a song, but the production is brutal. It sounds like "Death Magnetic" (also produced by Rubin). The drums sound distorted and there's no room in the mix whatsoever.

But as a song, it's better than anything that was on the last album, with a nod to One and All. It definitely doesn't sound like classic Pumpkins but it's a slight step in that direction.

I felt quite happy and satisfied when I heard it. So I wasn't disappointed anyway.

Oh I like that, reminds me of the better parts of Zeitgeist

It's getting ripped apart over on Netphoria. Not much better on Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I completely forgot about Netphoria!!!!

Not overly impressed with the song but not sure what it would have taken to get me back listening to new SP stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

It's not bad, it's not great. Only listened to it a couple of times. Sounds very much like its from the Zeitgeist era, which had some good stuff and some godawful stuff. I did enjoy Jimmy Chamberlins drumming on it. Getting a bit of a hammering on Netphoria alright but I've found that site overly negative on everything in last few years. Seems like some of them want Siamese Dream 2.0 and that was never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I haven’t listened to pumpkins for about 10 years. But I think that sounds really good. Bit like bullet with butterfly wings. Drumming does sound a bit tinny.

• Advertisement

Sounds much better live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not impressed really. Where's James Iha on this track?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

More from the Jimmy Kimmel show: definitely sounding better live, in my opinion:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

London gig on October 16th in Wembley

Wonder will there be more dates? As in Dublin? They announced an Italy date as well, seems strange to only have two dates.

If so, it's a question of risking losing out on seeing them in London, or buying the ticket and they play here anyway.

Wonder will there be more dates? As in Dublin? They announced an Italy date as well, seems strange to only have two dates.

If so, it's a question of risking losing out on seeing them in London, or buying the ticket and they play here anyway.

Might just be testing the waters with these 2 gigs. If they sell well, we could see a bigger tour. Think I'll try for London tickets anyway. This may be my only chance to hear some 'Gish' stuff live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Might just be testing the waters with these 2 gigs. If they sell well, we could see a bigger tour. Think I'll try for London tickets anyway. This may be my only chance to hear some 'Gish' stuff live.

In the recent Lars interview he said as much, that they announced gigs in the US to test the waters, and then took it from there. They'll surely do more than 2 Euro dates, but maybe might wait until summer 2019 if the interest builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I happen to be in Chicago the week they play, gonna pick up a ticket this week

• Advertisement

Jaysus, the tickets for London are fair pricey.

Advertisement