Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 200 enough of a wedding present from a couple?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

SeanHarty wrote: »
    I always look at it like paying for your dinner so usually 150-200 from a couple!

That being said though if I got some of the meals I've gotten at weddings from a nice restaurant costing 200 they wouldn't be getting paid!

You must go to some fecking expensive restaurants if you are paying 200 squid for a meal for 2.
    The whole wedding thing nowadays is pretentious ballox imo. It shouldn’t be your problem if some couple want to have a celebrity style wedding. Let them pay the cost themselves and then they will maybe cut their coat according to their cloth.

If I am never invited to another wedding then it will be too soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

€200 is about the average which is given around here. Some people closer might give a bit more and those invited just to the afters at 9pm would give less.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

On another thread a poster was saying that 200 was a stingy wedding gift from a couple and that they shouldn't bother going if they are not willing to give much more than that.

Does anyone else think this is nonsense? Anyone who organises a sensible wedding and doesn't spend thousands on chocolate fountains, Baby Bentleys for the page boy, harpists in the lobby, cigar stands, fireworks, free cocktails and personalised napkins will get a good proportion of their outlay back if every couple gave them 200. Anyway, it's not about the money, it's about the love. Supposedly.

Anyone that 'expects' cash as a gift is a tosser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

timthumbni wrote: »
    I always look at it like paying for your dinner so usually 150-200 from a couple!

That being said though if I got some of the meals I've gotten at weddings from a nice restaurant costing 200 they wouldn't be getting paid!

You must go to some fecking expensive restaurants if you are paying 200 squid for a meal for 2.
    The whole wedding thing nowadays is pretentious ballox imo. It shouldn’t be your problem if some couple want to have a celebrity style wedding. Let them pay the cost themselves and then they will maybe cut their coat according to their cloth.

If I am never invited to another wedding then it will be too soon..

Well i don't really drink so I don't have nights out every weekend where you spend a fortune to lose it the next day in the toilet.

I'm a foodie so if I get a really top meal I have no problem paying decent money for it.

Same as anything you may not see value in it but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

€200 is about the average which is given around here. Some people closer might give a bit more and those invited just to the afters at 9pm would give less.

Aaaah, afters would be a LOT less. €50 or a voucher. Expecting anything more from an afters guest is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

this is kind of the problem with Irish wedding mentality IMO. Gifts shouldnt be looked at as a cover charge or a cost-covering fee. You are invited to the wedding as a guest and that includes dinner.

The gift is a gesture to the couple and should reflect what you can afford, not how much they have chosen to splash out on their wedding. It should be a nice extra for them, not something they are relying on to cover their debts or profit from. If they choose to set their wedding up in that way, it's their problem.

that said, if you can afford to give the 150 or 200 that, cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Give them a goldfish , if they can keep it alive for a year then give them some cash .

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Aaaah, afters would a LOT less. €50 or a voucher. Expecting anything more from an afters guest is madness.

Yes, I'd always give cash tough. Don't really like giving vouchers.
    A lot for the Afters would just give a glasses/a vase! These end up being being very useful for the couple as gifts for the following Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Yes, I'd always give cash tough. Don't really like giving vouchers.
    A lot for the Afters would just give a glasses/a vase! These end up being being very useful for the couple as gifts for the following Christmas!

As I get older, I hate afters more and more

Well i don't really drink so I don't have nights out every weekend where you spend a fortune to lose it the next day in the toilet.

I'm a foodie so if I get a really top meal I have no problem paying decent money for it.

Same as anything you may not see value in it but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't!

You missed that posters point but, anytime you spent 200 euro for a meal for two, did you ever get anything comparable at a wedding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

No I've had some amazing experiences in restaurants for 200 or less and never had anything come close at a wedding.

I do see where your going with this but it's only a gift to help the happy couple and I'm sure they would return the favour so I don't see a problem with 150-200 if you can afford it but I also wouldn't be embarrassed giving less if I couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

That's usually what I'd give unless it's immediate family or a very close friend in which case I'd give a bit more.

Up to you though, what you give. You shouldn't feel pressure to give money you can't afford.

I'd echo the sentiment about a favourite gift. My favourite present was a framed painting from an artist friend.

That said, despite the judgement, the money thing is a bit of a godsend for all parties. Nobody really wants, needs or can accommodate a couple of hundred presents. Nor do I personally always want to bother thinking of a unique one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

honeybear wrote: »
    As I get older, I hate afters more and more

What?!! You mean you don’t like Sweet Caroline, Simply The Best and YMCA?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

€200 for family.
    €150 for mates.
    €100 for workmates.
    0 for after dinner invites.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Uncharted wrote:
    €200 for family. €150 for mates. €100 for workmates. 0 for after dinner invites.

Exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Uncharted wrote: »
    €200 for family.
    €150 for mates.
    €100 for workmates.
    0 for after dinner invites.

Simple.

Never accept an afters invite

lawred2 wrote: »
    Never accept an afters invite

I don't.
    That's how they get nothing.
    Fùck 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

200 Euro from a couple?

A couple of what?

A couple of stingy bastards sez you

200 Euro from a couple?

A couple of what?

A couple of stingy bastards sez you

Easy to spend Daddy's money eh,Don.
    Jog on Trumpf....
    Fùckin' immigrants these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There should be no expectations from couple as to what guests should pay as a present.

Guests should be invited as you genuinely want them to be part of your day or perhaps someone in your family, such as parents wants them there. I think it often happens that parents want somebody there that the couple would not normally invite.

The couple should see the wedding as a cost to them and guest should be free to give what they can afford and what they feel is appropriate and it's entirely personal.

An expectation of €200 from a couple is ridiculous and over the top in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Most people I know who got married never really expected €200 off everybody even when it was the gift they gave.
    They knew people had different circumstances/etc. However the one thing they were a little disappointed with was receiving sets of wine glasses that were in a tatty box that were obviously pulled out of a press!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Pelvis wrote: »
    This gift giving ****e for weddings is ridiculous.

Totally agree and grown up kid expecting Birthday and Christmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Totally agree and grown up kid expecting Birthday and Christmas presents.

Lucky to get a card!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I usually give 500 euro, i would be ashamed to turn up with anything less, the bride and groom would probably think i hated them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

pgj2015 wrote:
    I usually give 500 euro, i would be ashamed to turn up with anything less, the bride and groom would probably think i hated them.

I believe you....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

50 Euro and a bottle of champagne,sorted.

Couples giving out lists for presents to get them is ridiculous too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

200 is no measure of a friendship's worth.

It is, however, a measure of the character of the couple in deeming it '' not enough''

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't see why one is expected to give a gift at all. The person who attends the wedding is the person who is going to all the trouble - not the ppl who are getting married.

The last wedding I went too and it will be my last was my brothers. It struck me that it was me that had to travel across the country to get there and turn up out of a sense of duty. I didn't care less if I went at all. I hate the long long Irish way of doing wedding anyway. And I got no thanks for turning up, as if it was my duty for doing so.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't see why one is expected to give a gift at all. The person who attends the wedding is the person who is going to all the trouble - not the ppl who are getting married.

The last wedding I went too and it will be my last was my brothers. It struck me that it was me that had to travel across the country to get there and turn up out of a sense of duty. I didn't care less if I went at all. I hate the long long Irish way of doing wedding anyway. And I got no thanks for turning up, as if it was my duty for doing so.

You were invited to the wedding it wasn't a summons!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bahahahha
    200?
    Give them 100 max

Advertisement