Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weaning Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think they just get fussy at that age.My second is just 11 months and for the last few weeks, it's been hard work getting spoons of food into her!I remember the same with my first.But anything you put on her tray, she'll shove in no bother.I think it's a combination of teeth coming (yes they will go completely off food when this happens) much thicker dinners and just a developmental leap-more independence, wanting to do stuff themselves.
    I get what I can in with the spoon amd after that, give her whatever we're having.Spaghetti, broccoil, penne pasta, fingers of carrot, green beans, peas, baked beans on my fork, bits of mashed potato and mince.....she gobbles it up.I also do blueberries, some banana 'sticks', cheddar cheese fingers, anything she can get into her hand to put in her mouth.
    Experience has taught me that they do come round eventually but it is a nightmare.
    Oh...I do also try feeding her dinner with my fork amd sometimes put her dinner on my plate so she thinks she's getting the food I have. ;-) It usually works!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hey! I'm just wondering, has anyone ever come across a problem with baby after having avocado? We've been giving lo avocado since we started her on solids without any issues, but the last two times she's gotten sick after having it. The first time we put it down to eating too much of a rich food shortly before bed - that night it as a banana avocado mix. But last night she was given about half an avocado on its own and she was kept up a little longer than normal just to be sure but got sick a few hours after and had two episodes of wretching bringing up bile. I didn't think avocado was an allergen, but Dr Google is throwing back answers that it could be.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

scarepanda wrote: »
    Hey! I'm just wondering, has anyone ever come across a problem with baby after having avocado? We've been giving lo avocado since we started her on solids without any issues, but the last two times she's gotten sick after having it. The first time we put it down to eating too much of a rich food shortly before bed - that night it as a banana avocado mix. But last night she was given about half an avocado on its own and she was kept up a little longer than normal just to be sure but got sick a few hours after and had two episodes of wretching bringing up bile. I didn't think avocado was an allergen, but Dr Google is throwing back answers that it could be.....

Half an avacado is still a lot, to me anyway. Why not try an even smaller amount, even mixed in with something like banana and at a different meal time.

kandr10 wrote:
    Half an avacado is still a lot, to me anyway. Why not try an even smaller amount, even mixed in with something like banana and at a different meal time.

It possibly is. We've given it to her before without any issues though.

I think we'll keep her off it for a couple weeks and reintroduce it to her in smaller amounts and see what happens then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

scarepanda wrote: »
    It possibly is. We've given it to her before without any issues though.

I think we'll keep her off it for a couple weeks and reintroduce it to her in smaller amounts and see what happens then.

Yeah no harm. I know my little girl ate loved it as a baby and hasn't touched it since lol! You win some you lose some I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭yummymummyjay

Following as I am about to start weaning my 5 and a half month old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭yummymummyjay

Any tips welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

6 month old weaning - spoon - query.
    I can't figure out when to give the solid foods apart from breakfast.
    She doesn;t have a great routine yet, naps vary but say she sleeps 11-1pm. I give her porridge an hour ish after her morning bottle but when to give next solid meal? Before big nap or after? I#ve read that at this age she should onlt be on 3 bottles by day but I could still give her 4 :confused: e.g. 7/ 11/3/7 but the solids are sposed result in dropping a bottle? But Which one?

I can't advise about which bottle to drop, but I'd give her second meal after her nap (which could result in the 3 o clock bottle not being needed). If she's sleeping at 11 for 2 hrs, which I would presume is after breakfast she's not hungry. I always kept meals in line with our normal meal times. We have a late dinner here so we only do snacks in the afternoon to tide her over and those only started when she was down to two nursings a day (first thing and bedtime). HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I'm returning to work when my little girl is 6 months old so I don't know what to do. She has a tooth and she has great control of her neck & head.

A lot of people have told me I should start her on solids but my PHN says to wait until she is 6 months old. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Does anyone have any good BLW recipes they could share for muffins etc that would keep out of the fridge for a day?

Starting my little boy on solids in a couple of weeks and then we’ll be going on holidays three weeks later so I’d like to have some food packed for him to eat on the day we’re travelling.

Edit to add: or any recommendations for websites with recipes. I’m already joined a couple of Facebook groups but they’re tricky to search.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd suggest the Baby Led feeding cookbook by Alison Cox Blundell Bee.She has a site but actually the book is probably worth the investment as it has a lot of recipes in it amd it's easier to use than the site - I have it and it's impressive.Note she calls it baby led feeding, rather than baby led weaning, means it doesn't always come up in imternet searches.

I use Anabel Karmel too as I haven't had the guts to do exclusively BLW on my two so far.But the second definitely progressed to finger food and chunky solids much quicker than the first, I sort of did purees and mashes and also finger foods, bits of what we were having combined.She's a little trencherwoman when eating now, loves her food!!!!

I believe Nevin Maguire has a kids cookbook too, but I haven't read it so I can't recommend it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Plus for Anabels recipes they are great, once you know what he likes it should be easy to make up some snacks

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

bee06 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good BLW recipes they could share for muffins etc that would keep out of the fridge for a day?

Starting my little boy on solids in a couple of weeks and then we’ll be going on holidays three weeks later so I’d like to have some food packed for him to eat on the day we’re travelling.

Edit to add: or any recommendations for websites with recipes. I’m already joined a couple of Facebook groups but they’re tricky to search.

Sweet potato muffins from the Baby Led feeding cookbook would work. That’s a great book.

I’d skip AK and Neven. Can’t beliveve some of the tripe they are allowed publish tbh

Thanks, I actually follow baby led feeding on Instagram. I didn’t realise she had a book as well. Her website has some good muffin type recipes too.

Annabel Karamel seems more like traditional weaning anyway. Lots of purée recipes on her website. My husband would divorce me if I brought a Nevin Maguire book into the house. He really dislikes him :D

She does, and I have to say it's very good.Admittedly I don't bother too much with the child friendly chocolate and the like, but she covers the three main meals and snacks fairly thoroughly and has good recipes.AK is traditional weaning-I got it as a present on my first and used it for combinations for freezing.On my second I mostly gave her what we were having.
    I like Nevin's latest family cookbook, has some good stuff in it, but I've no clue what his kids recipes are like.But sure you won't need it anyway once you have the other one, your husband can breathe a sigh of relief :-) !!

Annabels book has both methods in it just incase. Sorry to ask the question it has probably been asked a lot. But right herself is on two meals a day brekie and dinner. Just wondering she is hitting the 6month mark soon. So the back of the tin of formula says she should be getting 4 x 8oz bottles (32oz) by 6 months and then reading a few places they say she should get 20oz of formula when weaning. Which one is correct?

Just trying to have the new routine set and ready to go thanks for any advice

Plan so far is 7am - 8oz
    11am - Brekkie and water (maybe milk for first few days)
    2.30 - 8oz
    5.30 Dinner and water
    7.30 - 8oz

sorry after more reading I see the suggestions are between 18 - 20oz. So sorted a bit confusing when reading the tins.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi ladies,

Quick question regarding weaning and steralising? I know bottles are meant to be sterilised up to a year! With her bowls spoons and sippy cup is putting them in the dishwasher enough? Or do I need to be putting them in the steriliser before I use them? Seeing as she licks the floor I’d imagine dishwasher is fine but never asked anyone before! Thanks for advice

Pocos wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Quick question regarding weaning and steralising? I know bottles are meant to be sterilised up to a year! With her bowls spoons and sippy cup is putting them in the dishwasher enough? Or do I need to be putting them in the steriliser before I use them? Seeing as she licks the floor I’d imagine dishwasher is fine but never asked anyone before! Thanks for advice

Bottles need to be sterilised when used for formula feeding because the formula itself can contain bacteria. You don’t need to sterilise bottles when used for breastmilk or bowls, spoons etc either (unless you mix some formula in I suppose).

• Advertisement

No need.
    Admittedly some people actually use the dishwasher to sterilise the bottles (not something I'd be ok with myself) but dishes etc should be fine.
    I've had a 12 week old with gastroentritis and believe me, it's bad.Paranoid about sterilising bottles, but never worried about their cups, bowls etc.

I havent been either, the spoons and bowls. Just washing them very well thats about it... Yeah i have heard people using the dishwasher to sterilise the bottles and seen it mentioned in places. But would not be a fan myself. Himself put one bottle in one time, and there was turmeric used in something cooked. sure it dyed the bottle. Still hasnt come out!..

Thanks ladies! I was thinking no need for sterilising but wanted to be sure!!!

Baby rice and carrot has been tried! Going down ok! She’s liking the whole spoon thing, taste wise she doesn’t seem to bothered!!

The baby rice is a great filler, glad she is getting on well with it.. I tried herself on Parsnip the last few days and while she like it, she was very windy after and also not sure did it give her a pain in the belly or what.. She was very restless the two nights she had it, dont know was it that or teeth...

We started to solids yesterday! Carrots for lunch and scrambled egg and avocado for breakfast this morning. Oh the mess!

I’d say he got more up in nose than in his belly but that’s all part of the fun.

Hi ladies,

Solids here are going well! Loving the baby rice and avacado! Not too keen on brocolli and carrots!

I have noticed she’s been hard to breast feed this weekend!! I was wondering did anyone else notice this? Is it to do with solids? Or is it the heat? I can’t decide! Also we were away for the weekend in a hotel so could have been the change of venue! So hard to know!

My fella loves broccoli! Today was the first day where he was chewing the food as well. Before he was sucking. It’s facinating to watch him learn so quickly.

I have him a ice pop made with natural yogurt today and he loved it but he has a bit of a rash now on his face where the yogurt ended up so we’ll have to give that a miss for a while.

It’s hard to say what could cause the reduction in feeding. My little boy defintely fed less during the day from the heat last week but his nappies were ok so I wasn’t worried.

bee06 wrote: »
    My fella loves broccoli! Today was the first day where he was chewing the food as well. Before he was sucking. It’s facinating to watch him learn so quickly.

I have him a ice pop made with natural yogurt today and he loved it but he has a bit of a rash now on his face where the yogurt ended up so we’ll have to give that a miss for a while.

It’s hard to say what could cause the reduction in feeding. My little boy defintely fed less during the day from the heat last week but his nappies were ok so I wasn’t worried.

Thanks bee! She’s had 6 wet nappies today probably not as heavy as usual but with the weather they haven’t been too heavy the past few weeks! She’s feeding really well there so I’d say she’s just too warm during the day to feed with my body heat and hers!! It’s so hard to know really!

Great your fella likes broccoli! My little one def didn’t like it :)

You could try the broccoli in a few days again, it is a thing that some babies are quite weary sorry to slow an internet connection to look up spelling, but of green coloured foods. Herself was the same, and I really wanted to get her to eat them as they are full of all types of goodness, so ended up doing then sure ill have a bit and then you have a bit... Loves it not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Hi everyone. Have a 4 month old that I think will need to start solids within next month or so. currently BF and looking for a good resource to help me understand and start the process.

Have heard baby led is good and worthwhile in the long run but unsure of how it works

Any help or links much appreciated!

Thanks all.

Advertisement