Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School in Tallaght

Options
  • 08-06-2018 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am moving to Tallaght next month and want to get my 8 year old enrolled in 2nd class in a primary school. Any recommendation for a good school. I know they all must be equally good but any particular ones which anyone would recommend based on your personal experience

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

It depends on what part of Tallaght you're moving to. It's a huge area with loads of schools. Which area are you hoping to move to?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Much depends on what you see as a "good"school.And you need to consider if you want mixed, Englisg/Irish medium , faith based or multi-denom. Feeder schools for secondary may also need to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 LPC786

hayser wrote: »
    It depends on what part of Tallaght you're moving to. It's a huge area with loads of schools. Which area are you hoping to move to?

Belgard square

Much depends on what you see as a "good"school.And you need to consider if you want mixed, Englisg/Irish medium , faith based or multi-denom. Feeder schools for secondary may also need to be considered.

Since we are Muslims i would prefer a Mixed English Medium multi cultural school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most schools are multi-cultural now. There are only a few Muslim schools in Ireland and they only attract children of the Muslim faith.

If you prefer a non-faith based school, your only options are either Educate Together schools or many Gaelscoileanna. There are only a few Muslim schools in Ireland.

If you want English medium, that rules out Gaelscoileanna, which teach through the medium of Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There aren't many, if any, non-Catholic options in Tallaght. There's really just Citywest and Saggart Community National School and Citywest Educate Together which are both around 6km away in Saggart - though you can take the Luas tram to get there.

Most schools are multi-cultural now. There are only a few Muslim schools in Ireland and they only attract children of the Muslim faith.

If you prefer a non-faith based school, your only options are either Educate Together schools or many Gaelscoileanna. There are only a few Muslim schools in Ireland.

If you want English medium, that rules out Gaelscoileanna, which teach through the medium of Irish.

Thank you so much ... actually not looking for a muslim school. Just wanted to have a general idea

Where i am currently living in Co Galway, there are many schools but everyone recommended this one school and from our experience we can say that their recommendation was absolutely correct. Im really thankful to them and thank you too. Really appreciate

There aren't many, if any, non-Catholic options in Tallaght. There's really just Citywest and Saggart Community National School and Citywest Educate Together which are both around 6km away in Saggart - though you can take the Luas tram to get there.

Thanks Malcolm Bumpy Broccoli ... i have started working the two. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I don't know about primary schools but consider secondaries too as you might find your child's friends disappear off to secondary schools not in your immediate area.
    Yesterday I heard 6th year second level students from Old Bawn Community school give their opinions on the Leaving Cert exams and was fairly impressed with their ambitions and ability to speak for themselves. That's just across the road from Belgard. Maybe find out what primary schools feed into that one, a quick phone call and the secretary would give you a list of schools.
    For Primary and Secondary ask if there are any admission criteria which might put them further down on a waiting list (e.g. if you're not in a particular catchment area). Although it might be easier to join in 2nd class than from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I went to Dominic's, then Old Bawn, and now I'm in TCD. So I like to think the schools did well.

• Advertisement

I don't know about primary schools but consider secondaries too as you might find your child's friends disappear off to secondary schools not in your immediate area.
    Yesterday I heard 6th year second level students from Old Bawn Community school give their opinions on the Leaving Cert exams and was fairly impressed with their ambitions and ability to speak for themselves. That's just across the road from Belgard. Maybe find out what primary schools feed into that one, a quick phone call and the secretary would give you a list of schools.
    For Primary and Secondary ask if there are any admission criteria which might put them further down on a waiting list (e.g. if you're not in a particular catchment area). Although it might be easier to join in 2nd class than from the start.

Really appreciate that. Thank you very much

Schools will close shortly(last Friday in June at the latest) , so you'd need to start contacting them asap to see if there will be a space for next year.

Advertisement