Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride in the primary classroom?

Options
  • 11-06-2018 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am a primary teacher, LGBT. Just wondering if people think it would be acceptable to do a lesson on Pride in the classroom (what it is, why do we have it, etc.) or could I just make unnecessary trouble for myself with management/parents?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Run it by principal before going ahead with it maybe?

I think it's a good idea generally if done in an informative way, but as you say, may cause trouble for yourself from some quarters. Good to have principal in your corner in such a scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

It's a good idea in principle

It needs to come from the top down nationwide if it isn't already?

It can't be done at a micro level on the hoof ,so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I am a primary teacher, LGBT. Just wondering if people think it would be acceptable to do a lesson on Pride in the classroom (what it is, why do we have it, etc.) or could I just make unnecessary trouble for myself with management/parents?

What does Pride mean in this instance ? I mean in primary school before sex ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LittleBrick

Just explain to them that some people are gay, some are not. Every year the LGBT community have a parade to celebrate being a member of the LGBT community, and that everyone is invited to attend. That its about accepting everyone because people can't help who they might fall in love with. Place more emphasis on the acceptance part than the leather clad, rainbow face paint, feather boa part.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I use the resources that the INTO have on their website. There's some very good stuff like a big poster with the questions you should ask broken into the different class levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

If your school is under the Diocese and it's ethos it wouldn't take much to land yourself in hot water. One complaint would be all it takes. I wouldn't if I were you not that I think that's right but protect yourself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's not really part of the RSE curriculum. Sometimes it arises where a child has two mothers or two fathers and it can be explained that there are lots of different types of families. Or sometimes, "gay" is used in a derogatory fashion, so it needs to be explained that it's not an insult.
    I'm not sure I'd be setting out to do a full lesson on Pride without clearing it with both the principal and board and possibly parents, a lot also depends on the age of the children involved.Be aware too that you may have children who are starting to identify as being LGBT and you would need to be very, very sure of what message they would pick up.

Advertisement