Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knee injury: Discoid lateral meniscus - now what?

Options
  • 08-06-2018 10:04am

I've done a few marathons but have been suffering with one of my knees. Marathon training plan is out the window but I'd still like to do it if I can get back on track.

Physio and doctor reckoned I had bursitis in March but it didn't clear up; suspected tendonitis. Still only very slow improvement so had an MRI.

MRI report says 'discoid lateral meniscus' but I'm not sure what to make of that.

This is fairly uncommon and is present from birth (according to my Googling). Normally diagnosed in kids so I'm half-hoping they are wrong(!) but wondering if anyone has had this or knows about it.

Key question: should I forget the autumn marathon this year? Every year?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I've done a few marathons but have been suffering with one of my knees. Marathon training plan is out the window but I'd still like to do it if I can get back on track.

Physio and doctor reckoned I had bursitis in March but it didn't clear up; suspected tendonitis. Still only very slow improvement so had an MRI.

MRI report says 'discoid lateral meniscus' but I'm not sure what to make of that.

This is fairly uncommon and is present from birth (according to my Googling). Normally diagnosed in kids so I'm half-hoping they are wrong(!) but wondering if anyone has had this or knows about it.

Key question: should I forget the autumn marathon this year? Every year?!

Only your physio can answer that

I've no patience and he's on holiday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What did your GP say when they read the mri report?

Timmaay wrote: »
    What did your GP say when they read the mri report?

GP also on holiday but the practice nurse spoke to the locum and read the report to me over the phone.

No prognosis. Just stating the fact of the discoid meniscus and no other problems...

Got a copy of the report myself. It rules out a dozen or so things (e.g. no tears, normal cruciate). Under 'remarks' it just says discoid lateral meniscus.

Advertisement