Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-feminist bias on RTÉ

Options
  • 07-06-2018 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I'm in the unusual position of having voted yes in the divorce and abortion referenda while being extremely uncomfortable with the modern feminist agenda. I'm just an old-fashioned anti-sexist, which is a very different beast from modern feminism, a movement that can't even tolerate the statement that the bearded biological male who won the Eurovision a few years ago is not in fact a woman. This movement has certainly brainwashed several of my relatives.

It's also seemingly the fully dominant worldview among media professionals. Which you might say is all well and good, but the national broadcaster should surely not be completely owned by a worldview which is probably not held by a majority of the population.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What's unusual about it? Ireland is thankfully becoming more liberal. What you're describing as the "modern feminist agenda" is basically the ravings of Louise O'Neils on Twitter which would resonate very little with actual, real people. I believe that most people are classical feminists in that they want equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities for women and they would like to see sexist barriers removed.

There are real people who do swallow the LON Kool Aid, unfortunately. I've a friend who works with one but they're a tiny minority. If the Twattersphere was in any way representative of the population as a whole, there'd be a lot more cracking open of heads and feasting upon the goo therein by the masses.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

erudec wrote: »
    the national broadcaster should surely not be completely owned by a worldview which is probably not held by a majority of the population.

Thoughts?

Television is an outdated medium. RTE is a national television broadcaster which has served its purpose, since its establishment in 1960. Now, we have so many other options (Netflix, online TV, Sky) that we don't need RTE, especially at a cost of €160/year for a TV licence.

Downsize RTE with a view to closure or privatization, removal of the TV licence fee and put an end to the obscene waste of money paid out in wages to RTE staff.

Link
    The average RTE employee earns €71,610 a year in salary and pension contributions.

RTE is a white elephant and it needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭iptba

I don't consume as much RTE as I used to but I noticed before that feminists were often not interviewed very rigorously by RTE. Feminist claims were often not challenged as much as others.

I remember writing to complain about "The week in politics" where a feminist had got a very soft interview with the interviewer basically helping them along as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm in the unusual position of having voted yes in the divorce and abortion referenda while being extremely uncomfortable with the modern feminist agenda.

There's nothing unusual about that, twitter does not reflect reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

They panicked and surrendered to the toxic Una Mulally type "third wave" feminists when they introduced the all female newsreading team. No complaints about the lack of males. Proves the agenda is domination not equality as formerly.was the case with the "second wave".
    RTE do push the extreme agenda constantly, trying to claim inequality were it does not exist. Totally unrepresentative of the views of the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

What's unusual about it? Ireland is thankfully becoming more liberal. What you're describing as the "modern feminist agenda" is basically the ravings of Louise O'Neils on Twitter which would resonate very little with actual, real people. I believe that most people are classical feminists in that they want equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities for women and they would like to see sexist barriers removed.

There are real people who do swallow the LON Kool Aid, unfortunately. I've a friend who works with one but they're a tiny minority. If the Twattersphere was in any way representative of the population as a whole, there'd be a lot more cracking open of heads and feasting upon the goo therein by the masses.

It's not all about what they put out. A great deal of the issue is what they edit out. For example, my other half was quite upset when he heard an RTÉ videogames reviewer spread the radical feminist claim that the Gamergate movement was simply an anti-female hate mob.

In the wake of the rugby verdict, I watched the talk show where three feminists were interviewed about why this was exactly the moment to talk about consent, and proselytize Irish schoolboys about the feminist notion of consent, presented as fact.

There was no voice in the studio speaking the obvious truth: no, there's nothing at all about this verdict that brings up the issue of consent. The verdict is clear: the accuser consented to all of the sexual activities she partook in, then went into a panic when she got the wrong idea that the encounter had been filmed and would be put on the internet. So she made up some lies and later repeated those lies in court.

It was utterly immoral of RTÉ to use this instance of innocent men being bullied by an accuser, the courts and the IRFU as another excuse to allow feminists, unchallenged access to the airwaves to smear Irish boys as being wrong-headed on the issue of consent.

They presented no evidence that Irish boys are in any doubt about what constitutes proper lawful consent, and no interviewer asked them for any.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

terrestrial TV is in decline, my kids havnt watched TV since peppa pig and they wont ever buy a newspaper. The feminists can fight and have control over the steaming pile that is State owned TV, in the long run it wont matter.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    terrestrial TV is in decline, my kids havnt watched TV since peppa pig and they wont ever buy a newspaper. The feminists can fight and have control over the steaming pile that is State owned TV, in the long run it wont matter.

A thing being in decline does not justify taxes being taken from nonfeminists like me to fund one-sided feminist propaganda.

If you take comfort from the idea that at some unknown point in the future, RTÉ might cease to be funded, that's grand.

But until that day comes, it will continue to exist and discriminate against the people who fund it.

You're also forgetting that there's a good possibility that RTÉ will simply morph into something more technological rather than outright vanish.

You're trying to promote the narrative with two parts: first that RTÉ will definitely vanish altogether rather than change form and continue, second that because of this supposedly certain future event of the demise of RTÉ, we can ignore the gross feminist bias that is happening in the present moment.

I think both notions are completely lacking in supporting evidence. You have no reason to assume they are true, any more than you have a reason to assume that a fair coin toss will come up tails.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not all about what they put out. A great deal of the issue is what they edit out. For example, my other half was quite upset when he heard an RTÉ videogames reviewer spread the radical feminist claim that the Gamergate movement was simply an anti-female hate mob.

If your other half was upset by an opinion that they heard on television then I think they need to grow up a little bit. People getting upset by differing opinions leads them to think they have a right to shut down said opinions.

I'm not getting drawn into a debate about that case as I know sod all about it. It's barely been reported in the UK at all.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

On any given example, how easy is it to find a feminist to talk about it? How easy is it to find a men’s rights advocate to talk about it?

Paddy Jackson ‘assumed consent’ which stood up in court. But it left 5 people in a horrible situation for years after. Educating boys and girls about the law and about what happens in practice and how to have conversations about consent is a really strong way to address the issue.

How easy would it be to find a feminists to shape a discussion about consent? How easy would it be to find a men’s rights advocate to shape a discussion about consent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

a movement that can't even tolerate the statement that the bearded biological male who won the Eurovision a few years ago is not in fact a woman.
    Trans rights =/= feminism.

Just to be clear. Naturally there's significant overlap, but recognition of transgender is not part of the "feminist agenda".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Everybody knows that Gamergate is about ethics in game journalism after that whore Quinn was suspected of giving blowjobs for good reviews and that bitch Sarkeesian made some poorly researched videos about games from a feminist perspective. They got doxxed and got rape and death threats and all of a sudden they're all like 'Wah, there's a serious undercurrent of misogyny to what's happening to us' but we know they were just being stupid bitches because Gamergate was about ethics in games journalism. Some people might have said it would have made more sense to attack the cosy relationship between the large publishers of AAA games and the gaming media but seriously, those bitches like Sarkeesian, Quinn, Brianna Wu and Leigh Alexander were fúcking up the ethics of games journalism by being liberal, feminist bitches and deserved all those rape and death threats they got.*

But your partner got very upset about that radical feminist claim? Sounds a bit snowflakey to be taking anything that a games reviewer on RTÉ seriously.

* The arseholes defending Quinn, Wu, Sarkeesian and Alexander were despicable pains in the hole as well and Gamergate was really just the starting point of the culture wars that pervade the whole of the internet these days. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭iptba

iptba wrote: »
    I don't consume as much RTE as I used to but I noticed before that feminists were often not interviewed very rigorously by RTE. Feminist claims were often not challenged as much as others.

I remember writing to complain about "The week in politics" where a feminist had got a very soft interview with the interviewer basically helping them along as I recall.
    Forgot to say I mainly listen to NewsTalk now as over the years, I've found on average they're more willing to explore issues like this from different angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

In the wake of the rugby verdict, I watched the talk show where three feminists were interviewed about why this was exactly the moment to talk about consent, and proselytize Irish schoolboys about the feminist notion of consent, presented as fact.

There was no voice in the studio speaking the obvious truth: no, there's nothing at all about this verdict that brings up the issue of consent. The verdict is clear: the accuser consented to all of the sexual activities she partook in, then went into a panic when she got the wrong idea that the encounter had been filmed and would be put on the internet. So she made up some lies and later repeated those lies in court.

It was utterly immoral of RTÉ to use this instance of innocent men being bullied by an accuser, the courts and the IRFU as another excuse to allow feminists, unchallenged access to the airwaves to smear Irish boys as being wrong-headed on the issue of consent.

They presented no evidence that Irish boys are in any doubt about what constitutes proper lawful consent, and no interviewer asked them for any.

Seems you're not above presenting nonsense as fact yourself. That wasn't the verdict because the alleged victim was never on trial.

I wasn't going to bother contributing to the thread after reading the opening post because what you posted is a load of convoluted nonsense, but when you talk about presenting the facts and truth and so on, and then go on to post things that aren't based on fact and certainly aren't true, you're really not any different to the people you're attempting to criticise, and whether you are or aren't a feminist is irrelevant.

RTE puts out plenty of crap to annoy everyone equally, your TV licence fee has nothing to do with what you actually choose to watch on the television. It's a license to own a TV is all. You'd still have to pay it even if RTE never existed.

LyricFM and the RTE Concert Orchestra aren't bad though, and I'm ok with my €160 going towards supporting them. The televised rubbish I'd only watch Prime Time the odd time, and my mother is constantly asking did I watch whatever segment on the Late Late. She's happy enough when I tell her I'll watch it on the RTE Player later (I never do as I just don't get around to it!).

Honestly if you're that put out by RTE's output, I suggest you write a strongly worded email to the head of RTE. Kinda miss Arthur Murphy's Mailbag now I think of it, and Gay Byrne. Talent in RTE really has dropped off a cliff, but that's the reality of competing in modern media - throw enough crap out there and hope something sticks, like you did with your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Consent is a feminist notion :confused::confused::confused:

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Consent is a feminist notion :confused::confused::confused:

Aye, if our boys have to be asking if the womenfolk are cool with making the beast with two backs instead of just sliding it in when they're not looking, it'll turn them quare.

On any given example, how easy is it to find a feminist to talk about it? How easy is it to find a men’s rights advocate to talk about it?

Paddy Jackson ‘assumed consent’ which stood up in court. But it left 5 people in a horrible situation for years after. Educating boys and girls about the law and about what happens in practice and how to have conversations about consent is a really strong way to address the issue.

How easy would it be to find a feminists to shape a discussion about consent? How easy would it be to find a men’s rights advocate to shape a discussion about consent?

Who gets to decide what "education" to give?

In court, defence counsel are available to push back against the feminist narrative. Is that automatically true of the all-feminist education push?

Why would we be stupid enough to assume that the feminists will confine themselves to what the law says instead of the more expansive notions they often have, such as the belief that consent may be legitimately revoked many weeks after the event?

Aye, if our boys have to be asking if the womenfolk are cool with making the beast with two backs instead of just sliding it in when they're not looking, it'll turn them quare.

There are multiple ways to construe consent, and the feminist way is a very different beast to what the law says. Yet 100% of the voices on the RTÉ interview I saw parroted the feminist line completely, with no time given to the way the law views consent.

Seems you're not above presenting nonsense as fact yourself. That wasn't the verdict because the alleged victim was never on trial.

The finding of fact by the jury allows for no other interpretation but the one I gave.

I repeat, the jury found that the sex she had with those innocent, good men was consensual, and the only logical inference possible from the jury's findings is precisely as I described.

But your partner got very upset about that radical feminist claim? Sounds a bit snowflakey to be taking anything that a games reviewer on RTÉ seriously.

Yeah, until RTÉ stops taking our money we're going to treat them like our employees and unless you are volunteering to take over paying our license fee in perpetuity, that isn't going to change.

RTÉ is not supposed to be partial in matters like Gamergate and if caring about it makes me a snowflake then I embrace the label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The finding of fact by the jury allows for no other interpretation but the one I gave.

I repeat, the jury found that the sex she had with those innocent, good men was consensual, and the only logical inference possible from the jury's findings is precisely as I described.

That's not the only logical inference at all, unless your logical inference is based on your own ignorance of the law.

Because the jury found the accused not guilty does not imply the alleged victim committed perjury, or that she bullied anyone, or that the IRFU bullied anyone.

The IRFU decided that their conduct was not reflective of the values of the IRFU, and decided to terminate their contracts on that basis.

You can describe it as you like, but other people are going to point out that your opinion has no basis in fact and is certainly not the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

They did a piece on the Six One news the other day about the top 100 paid sports people.
    Their main take about this was that there wasn't a single woman on the list.
    They didn't really delve into the reasons for this that much, they just took a gender pay gap esque "if there isn't equality then it's inherently wrong" style of approach.

They're fairly biased on some topics.

RTÉ is not supposed to be partial in matters like Gamergate and if caring about it makes me a snowflake then I embrace the label.

Why is RTÉ, or in particular a game reviewer appearing on the channel, not supposed to be partial in relation to Gamergate? Last time I checked it wasn't part of a referendum taking place on this island...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Which is also promoted quite well on RTE's own website!

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0605/968198-asking-for-it-bringing-louise-oneills-novel-to-the-stage/

RTE are more than happy to promote her garbage book, give her a show to air her garbage views, and promote where you can buy tickets to her garbage shows.

RTE is top to toe in feminism, and not this "dictionary definition" cop-out which has long lost all meaning. It's Dee Forbes little fiefdom of shoehorning in every thought out of Stephanie Preissner's head into multiple series of crappy comedy drama's and bigging up Queen Amy (Huberman) as the greatest and most loved actress in the country. These are just two examples of a much wider and quite obvious trend. I mean, Forbes herself is pretty much as clear as possible about being a card carrying feminist.

Not forgetting the Culture section of their website, a place where the comments section goes to die......quite literally, there's never any comments section in there. Sinann Fetherston has a regular splurge of nonsense on some social issue, and always in the more feminist slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I find it difficult to read news online because of a similar bias online with BBC and Sky News, always articles to carry on a narrative they push. It's not about equality, they got that and now want more, to my eyes.

Who gets to decide what "education" to give?

In court, defence counsel are available to push back against the feminist narrative. Is that automatically true of the all-feminist education push?

Why would we be stupid enough to assume that the feminists will confine themselves to what the law says instead of the more expansive notions they often have, such as the belief that consent may be legitimately revoked many weeks after the event?

Hold on. The course content would be done the same way as any new course content I presume. The DoE will create the course based on stakeholder input. It would be up to interested groups to make their opinions heard.

What information would you want a men’s interest group to put forward for inclusion in the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

The only reason that's true is because GG was about a lad who got upset a woman broke up with him.

megaten wrote: »
    The only reason that's true is because GG was about a lad who got upset a woman broke up with him.

That and some rather more important things. There was a lot of proven corruption that came out of the whole Gamergate stuff, the kind that would require a Garda investigation if it was revealed in Ireland. The salacious aspects of that couple's sex life was a story that seemed like a prime example of corruption on the face of it, but it was less clear on investigation that the insider who had been having sex illicitly with the video game designer had traded any influence to further the success of her game, which ultimately went on to make no money.

It grabs all the media attention away from the numerous other Private Eye-style stories of casual corruption between videogame companies pressuring media into giving favourable reviews. But the lack of attention doesn't erase them from history and the indication is that there was a significant amount of dirty practice happening in the media.

I couldn't care less about games, but corruption of professional values always catches my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

I think the vast majority of the general public can see LON and her ilk are just trying desperately to keep themselves relevant and in a job. The media love publishing content from radical feminists and various other social justice types as it generally will create more clicks or interest because of the nature of the discussion.

It's quite difficult to avoid this kind of content as a user as almost every media outlet are more interested in an emotive response than actually reporting facts and news.

• Advertisement

VonZan wrote: »
    I think the vast majority of the general public can see LON and her ilk are just trying desperately to keep themselves relevant and in a job. The media love publishing content from radical feminists and various other social justice types as it generally will create more clicks or interest because of the nature of the discussion.

It's quite difficult to avoid this kind of content as a user as almost every media outlet are more interested in an emotive response than actually reporting facts and news.
    If that was he case the outrageous side of the men's rights movement would find it equally easy to get airtime. They'd be click magnets too. I don't know if there are men's equivalents to LON.

To be honest, I'd never have heard of LON if it weren't for this forum.

Advertisement