Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marilyn Manson

Options
  • 06-06-2018 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

What do you guys think of Marilyn Manson? Anyone here listen to him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

'Dope Show' is the only Manson song I can tolerate and only because of the Black Sabbath-style riff. 'Anti Christ Superstar'' was the bane of my existence as a teenager and helped turned metal into cartoon nonsense for years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Wouldn't really be into him but there's probably 5 or 6 songs I'd listen too

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ZuM16

Used to be a huge fan, ACS was a brilliant album, Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood were very solid. GAOTG was also pretty decent. Thought his line up with Twiggy, John 5, Pogo and Ginger Fish was very strong but over a few years as they dropped off and others replaced them the quality and originality of his music suffered and, in my opinion, hes never gotten back to the quality of the 3 albums I mentioned above. Had tickets to see him live in Dublin back in, i think, 2001-2002 but it was cancelled due to protests i believe. Eventually saw him live in Toronto in 2009 but wasnt as good as I had hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnKyle39

ZuM16 wrote: »
    Used to be a huge fan, ACS was a brilliant album, Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood were very solid. GAOTG was also pretty decent. Thought his line up with Twiggy, John 5, Pogo and Ginger Fish was very strong but over a few years as they dropped off and others replaced them the quality and originality of his music suffered and, in my opinion, hes never gotten back to the quality of the 3 albums I mentioned above. Had tickets to see him live in Dublin back in, i think, 2001-2002 but it was cancelled due to protests i believe. Eventually saw him live in Toronto in 2009 but wasnt as good as I had hoped.

The Pale Emperor was fantastic and Heaven Upside Down is his most successful album since Eat Me, Drink Me. Kill4Me and Mephistopheles of Los Angeles are really good songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I hated the guy back when he first hit the scene even though I was an impressionable teenager. I had zero time for shock rock. But then I somehow ended up listening to ACS in its entirety and it completely won me over. It's one of the few albums that was in heavy rotation 20 years ago that I'm still more than happy to listen to. I'm assuming it's the Trent Reznor influence.

I was also quite fond of MA but started to loose interest from there on.

Similarly I had tickets for that cancelled Dublin show which was supposed to be recorded for a DVD. Crazy to think of that happening now.

Caught him a few years later but it's a real shame I didn't get to see him on the ACS tour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Used to listen to Antichrist Superstar on repeat. I really liked that album, which was basically 80% Trent Reznor.

I remember getting the next one (Mechanical Animals), but didn't pick up anything else. Can't remember why... just moved on I suppose!

Ha, snap!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

ACS, Holy Wood and Mechanical Animals can't be beaten, very solid albums all the way through. His two latest albums have their strong points too, they feel a lot more music focused rather than focusing on a message like previous albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Not really into him and don't know much by him. I do like one song called The Beautiful People. That's alright. I hated what he did with Tainted Love. The music video is crap and I thought it was very contrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

First three albums are masterpieces. Marilyn himself has little musical talent, yet he has achieved so much, so you have to admire him. His autobiography is a good read; it's all complete bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Was never really a fan of his music, but he's a sharp guy

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Really enjoyed everything up to and including Antichrist Superstar. Didn't care for Mechanical Animals too much and never really listened to his stuff after that bar the odd single. Enjoy his interviews though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tried to get into him as a impressionable Kerrrang reader back in the day but I just wasn't buying it for some reason. I thought it was all a bit silly, back in the days when I thought I knew everything. Nowadays I appreciate more of what he was at: there's definitely a place for shock in rock, especially the stuff that somehow makes it into the mainstream. Even though he was just as much a part of the pop musical firmament as those he was supposedly the antidote too: that awful cover of tainted love, singing with Eminem etc, etc. Wouldn't be a massive fan of his music still, a lot of the problem for me is his singing voice, bizarrely enough - it just grates on me. I think Twiggy had a massive influence on his musical highlights and without him there's not a whole pile to get evangelical about. But someone can fire a song up here that they think will blow my mind, if they want.

Now, I could be wrong about this, but I think the main reason for the point gig being cancelled was to do with logistical issues with the production company who were supposed to be filming it for a DVD. Ireland was pretty backward, even back then around 15-20 years ago, but I don't know if even Marilyn Manson could have drummed up that level of fervour that would have led to a cancelled gig, but, I dunno - who knows. He did play at the RDS with Iron Maiden in '05.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Had tickets to see him live in Dublin back in, i think, 2001-2002 but it was cancelled due to protests i believe.

Protests? The whole satanic thing?

My memory was that the protests put unwanted pressure on the production company and once the DVD recording fell through the concert was pulled.

That could be simply my recollection of events but I always felt that the negativity around the show was somewhat to play in why it didn't happen.

By the time MM played the RDS he was old news and nobody gave a sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

S.M.B. wrote: »

By the time MM played the RDS he was old news and nobody gave a sh*te.

I enjoyed the perfornance at the RDS, thought Maiden that day were average

saw him a few years later in Birmingham and he was muck, no passion or effort at all, luckily Rob Zombie gave me value for money blew Manson away

But am liking the most recent releases so will catch him somewhere along the way again

Yeah, I enjoyed that show too. Ended up being the only time I caught him live.

I was meaning that the general public didn't give a sh*t because the controversy surrounding MM was nowhere near the level it was in the immediate aftermath of Columbine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Saw him in 99 at the Heineken Jammin festival in Italy. He opened his backside to the camera and caused a bit of controversy for a few weeks after it. Not sure if he was banned from Italy for a while...
    I didn't have much expectation before he came on stage, but the show was brilliant. He was excellent that night. Blur came on after him to top it off. :) (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

He seems to be on form lately, with some great sets. Saw him in December with the broken leg, so he was really immobile. Put on a good show but was way too short for a man with 10 albums. Barley played an hour fifteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Seen MM at Download Festival 2015 (I think) and I thought he was a bit bland and not bothered... :(

I'll be in America-land the same time hes touring with Mr Zombie and am wondering is he worth a second chance?

• Advertisement

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Seen MM at Download Festival 2015 (I think) and I thought he was a bit bland and not bothered... :(

I'll be in America-land the same time hes touring with Mr Zombie and am wondering is he worth a second chance?

Won't matter what form Manson is in Rob Zombie will be worth the ticket price alone. I'd go and if MM puts on a show it will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Holywood is my favourite album of his followed by ACS and GAOG. Haven't much time for his stuff anymore as I think it lost its edge. I loved the dark sound of Holywood so much along with the artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Holywood is my favourite album of his followed by ACS and GAOG. Haven't much time for his stuff anymore as I think it lost its edge. I loved the dark sound of Holywood so much along with the artwork.

He dipped badly for years but Pale Emperor and Heaven Upside Down have some great songs, and are pretty good albums. Well worth a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I did download both those albums but they didn't catch me apart from a track or 2. No Reflection is good and there are actually quite a few good songs on HUD (I love Blood Honey) but I much preferred the type of concept album that Holywood is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

evillive wrote: »
    Won't matter what form Manson is in Rob Zombie will be worth the ticket price alone. I'd go and if MM puts on a show it will be a bonus.

I saw him on the same tour but in Glasgow. Manson blew RZ away that night. And that's coming from a big RZ fan at the time (His Veganism turned me off him somewhat since). Think I was lucky, as it's the only gig of the tour supposedly that Manson was on form. Seemingly RZ had a sore throat on the night, which he apologised for.

I also saw him in around 2003 at Download. Another great show and great memories made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

evillive wrote: »
    I enjoyed the perfornance at the RDS, thought Maiden that day were average

saw him a few years later in Birmingham and he was muck, no passion or effort at all, luckily Rob Zombie gave me value for money blew Manson away

But am liking the most recent releases so will catch him somewhere along the way again

Maiden were utter ****e that day.

Maiden were utter ****e that day.
    Mebbe i was being generous with average!! As far as I recall their sound went (bass or guitars mebbe?) and Bruce tried to keep us entertained by humming theme tunes off his arse or something, to be fair what else could he do, but then there wad a hoohaa over the union Jack being waved during the trooper and I legged it before the end. I do love maiden but not that night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Was a massive fan in the portrait/superstar days, never got too much into his stuff after that, but still liked the odd song I heard. Saw him at Graspop this year not expecting much as he's a reputation for patchy live shows. To be fair he was on top form and put on a great show.

Advertisement