Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can a garda give you a fixed penalty notice in the post after they said it was a warn

Options
  • 05-06-2018 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

i got pulled in a few weeks ago for careless driving. the officers kept me there for about 20 minutes and did all the checks in the world they searched my car and both and eventually said it was a warning and drive better in the future then today i get a fixed penalty notice 80 euro and 2 penalty points. This wasn't mentioned at the time at all i was just told to go on my way and be more careful. is this allowed? i thought i would have to be told about it at the side of the road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

jasonrwc wrote: »
    i got pulled in a few weeks ago for careless driving. the officers kept me there for about 20 minutes and did all the checks in the world they searched my car and both and eventually said it was a warning and drive better in the future then today i get a fixed penalty notice 80 euro and 2 penalty points. This wasn't mentioned at the time at all i was just told to go on my way and be more careful. is this allowed? i thought i would have to be told about it at the side of the road?
    Where they wearing their official hats when they spoke to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jasonrwc

no they gut of their car and just talked to me without any hat. just full uniform otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

If they were not wearing their hats this cannot stand in the court of law

Really?? I though more so because they never mentioned it to me and said it was a warning would be more of a reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Really?? I though more so because they never mentioned it to me and said it was a warning would be more of a reason?
    This is why legal advice isn’t allowed...

• Advertisement

What do you think?

I really don't know that's why I started the thread.

This is why legal advice isn’t allowed...

I'm not looking for legal advice I'm asking can they give a warning and them later decide it's going to be a fixed penalty. I assumed they would have had to mention that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Unfortunately this is why legal advice cannot be given here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'm not looking for legal advice I'm asking can they give a warning and them later decide it's going to be a fixed penalty. I assumed they would have had to mention that!

If it's a penalty points offence then you should expect points

Kimbot wrote: »
    If it's a penalty points offence then you should expect points

I was the wrong side of a very narrow road because there were cars parked on one side. I didn't think that was an offence.

• Advertisement

How can you prove other wise?

Did you record the encounter?

If not you've no leg to stand on, your word against there's, you admit you drove dangerously but the guards are liars so you shouldn't be punished?

Sorry mate won't stand up in court

sexmag wrote: »
    How can you prove other wise?

Did you record the encounter?

If not you've no leg to stand on, your word against there's, you admit you drove dangerously but the guards are liars so you shouldn't be punished?

Sorry mate won't stand up in court

I never said I drove dangerously I was passing cars on my own street at about 10 miles an hour that was all I was doing

I never said I drove dangerously I was passing cars on my own street at about 10 miles an hour that was all I was doing
    I was the wrong side of a very narrow road because there were cars parked on one side. I didn't think that was an offence.

You admited an offense in the eyes of the law, this is why you were pulled over

I was 20 metres from my own house and had just turned into the street I was doing no more than 10 miles an hour. What i was doing I would not consider careless!!

What i was doing I would not consider careless!!

What you and I consider dangerous is irrelevant

You admited an offense in the eyes of the law, this is why you were pulled over

No I ddint I never admitted anything I never said I admitted anything I don't think I did commit an offence in anyone's eyes. I really don't know where you got the notion that I said admitted or think I did commit an offence from??

No I ddint I never admitted anything I never said I admitted anything I don't think I did commit an offence in anyone's eyes. I really don't know where you got the notion that I said admitted or think I did commit an offence from??

See my post 2 posts up

Sorry it happened to you but that's it, chalk it up to experience, don't believe what you don't get in writing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

People are pulling your leg for some reason here. Not sure why. Anyway.

Yes they can. Its bad form to say it's a warning and you'll hear nothing more. But sadly you've got the fine now and it can be done.

If you want to contest it then go to court and have it out. Or take the fine and points and end of story.

Which ever you do. Don't ignore it.

See my post 2 posts up

Sorry it happened to you but that's it, chalk it up to experience, don't believe what you don't get in writing

Yea that's all grand but they never mentioned careless driving or anything at the time that's why I'm wondering where it has came from. I thought they would at least have to have said that or alluded to it at the time at least. They said it was a warning and learn from it and move on then I get the notice today.

TallGlass wrote: »
    People are pulling your leg for some reason here. Not sure why. Anyway.

Yes they can. Its bad form to say it's a warning and you'll hear nothing more. But sadly you've got the fine now and it can be done.

If you want to contest it then go to court and have it out. Or take the fine and points and end of story.

Which ever you do. Don't ignore it.

Do you think I should go to a garda station tomoro and see what they have to say or just pay it and forget about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Squatman

Do you think I should go to a garda station tomoro and see what they have to say or just pay it and forget about it?

yea, id ask to talk to the garda in question, and check to see if he got his wires crossed. explain the situation, because he probably wont remember you, and say as you said here, that you were executing a turn into your driveway.
    also, will you explain the situation here please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Garda can't do anything and well shouldn't do anything about it as it's in the system. You either go court, and explain your position, what was said, Garda could ask it be thrown out, but you won't know. You could get more of fine and more points. What you mention is all hear say about them saying this or that, nothing formal apart from the FPN you've got.

Its up to you, pay fine and its done with. Court and you contest it but no one can tell you how that will go.

Squatman wrote: »
    yea, id ask to talk to the garda in question, and check to see if he got his wires crossed. explain the situation, because he probably wont remember you, and say as you said here, that you were executing a turn into your driveway.
    also, will you explain the situation here please?

I turned into my street which is a 90 degree turn about 20 metres up it is another 90 degree turn. So I stopped and waited for a car to pass before I turned In. My street is pretty narrow and there were cars parked on the left so I moved to the right hand side of the road to over take them. I was going really slow but as I overtook one of the parked cars I noticed the squad coming around the corner and stopped they cam forward more and waved me on. When I came alongside them I had to pull into between 3 parked cars they wound down the window and asked what I was doing. I told them that I was overtaking a car. The passenger garda jumped out and asked for my license which I have him then another garda from the back seat got out after about 5 minutes they told me to pull in at the corner because there was a car behind them that cudnt get by. They checked my car tax insurance and did a personal check on me when all that was clear they made me get out of the car and asked me was I caring anything I shouldn't I said no then they asked me to open my car they searched the back and then searched the booth. When it was all clear they said I was lucky and I was just getting a warning and had I learned my lesson. I said yes and they said to drive on. Then I went home and now I got the fine today about 3 weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like they saw it as you overtaking into oncoming traffic. If the obstruction is on "your side" you need to yield. How far ahead you should yield is down to interpretation.

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like they saw it as you overtaking into oncoming traffic. If the obstruction is on "your side" you need to yield. How far ahead you should yield is down to interpretation.

Yea but when I was overtaking they were the other side of a 90 degree turn so unless I can see around corners it would have been impossible to know there was oncoming traffic. I was going slow enough to stop the second saw them so can't see how they could say I didn't yield to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Yea but when I was overtaking they were the other side of a 90 degree turn so unless I can see around corners it would have been impossible to know there was oncoming traffic. I was going slow enough to stop the second saw them so can't see how they could say I didn't yield to them

sounds like you have been diddled

sounds like you have been diddled

Sure feels like it. It's no wonder nobody trusts the garda!! He must of been low on numbers last month!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Sure feels like it. It's no wonder nobody trusts the garda!! He must of been low on numbers last month!!

probably was going to let you off but then changed his mind after a quieter than usual night

probably was going to let you off but then changed his mind after a quieter than usual night

Yea he got me at 2 in the afternoon so probly tot he had all day to get others and didn't pan out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Yea that's all grand but they never mentioned careless driving or anything at the time that's why I'm wondering where it has came from. I thought they would at least have to have said that or alluded to it at the time at least. They said it was a warning and learn from it and move on then I get the notice today.

If they said it was a warning, you must have been doing something wrong!

Advertisement