Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo travelling to Australia on working holiday visa! Any tips?

Options
  • 01-06-2018 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey there,
    So I really want to head to Australia on a working holiday visa and may be doing it by myself. I'm 27 and have always wanted to go but never got the chance. Just wondering if any of you lovely people have any tips on where to start, best places to meet fellow travellers etc and farm work. I am completely green so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I'm heading over in a few weeks as well. I'll be meeting up with mates over there but have heard that the hostels are usually the place where you meet new people or the local pubs in the vicinity.

Most if not all hostels also have bulletin boards in them with information on jobs, events, cheap cars for sale etc.

You should pop into USIT if your in Dublin and chat to one of the people who work there who can advise you on most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Skerka

I'm heading over in a few weeks as well. I'll be meeting up with mates over there but have heard that the hostels are usually the place where you meet new people or the local pubs in the vicinity.

Most if not all hostels also have bulletin boards in them with information on jobs, events, cheap cars for sale etc.

You should pop into USIT if your in Dublin and chat to one of the people who work there who can advise you on most things.

Yeah I think I'm gonna hit Sydney and see what happens from there. Will get on to usit for more details, thanks for the advice. Best of luck 🀞

Skerka wrote: »
    Yeah I think I'm gonna hit Sydney and see what happens from there. Will get on to usit for more details, thanks for the advice. Best of luck 🀞

Don't keep putting it on the long finger either. You'll never get there imo. Some of my other mates are forever intending on booking it.....

Also when you do go into USIT, find out the price of the Cathay Pacific flight from Dublin - Hong Kong opposed to being sent via the UK or Amsterdam etc. My total travel time works out about 24hrs including the stop over.

My package was 20 euro cheaper after I queried the Dub-HK flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

you don't need to pay for anything in USIT. You can get yor visa yourself online. Takes 48 hours realistically at most.

Sydney is pumping for work at the minute but its an expensive city and rent isn't cheap. Once you start earning the money should be good.

My advice, regardless of what work experience you have is to get your Construction White Card (Like FAS safe pass) and it opens up all sorts of work for you.

Getting a traffic controller ticket (stop go sign for roadworks) is easy money but boring. If you do night shifts you can expect up to $42 per hour with some companies. Do a 10 hour shift, 6 days a week thats the guts of $1900 after tax in your pocket. Not sustainable really but the money is there to be made.

You could go rural straight away and get your 88 regional work done ASAP and guarantee that 2nd year before you get settled. A lot of people get to the city, spend a week or two to settle in (get drunk/party/blow their money) and get any job in and then get stuck in the routine and never get out to do their regional work. You can follow the harvest, see what work is happening and head there first up.

There are people rorting the regional work, underpaying workers etc....so make sure its a legit place.

If you don't have a driving licence, it definitely puts you at a disadvantage over here, so if you have time, get that done. Such a big place that you need to be able to drive. Provisional licences from Ireland are not sufficient over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

pete4130 wrote: »
    you don't need to pay for anything in USIT. You can get yor visa yourself online. Takes 48 hours realistically at most.

Sydney is pumping for work at the minute but its an expensive city and rent isn't cheap. Once you start earning the money should be good.

My advice, regardless of what work experience you have is to get your Construction White Card (Like FAS safe pass) and it opens up all sorts of work for you.

Getting a traffic controller ticket (stop go sign for roadworks) is easy money but boring. If you do night shifts you can expect up to $42 per hour with some companies. Do a 10 hour shift, 6 days a week thats the guts of $1900 after tax in your pocket. Not sustainable really but the money is there to be made.

You could go rural straight away and get your 88 regional work done ASAP and guarantee that 2nd year before you get settled. A lot of people get to the city, spend a week or two to settle in (get drunk/party/blow their money) and get any job in and then get stuck in the routine and never get out to do their regional work. You can follow the harvest, see what work is happening and head there first up.

There are people rorting the regional work, underpaying workers etc....so make sure its a legit place.

If you don't have a driving licence, it definitely puts you at a disadvantage over here, so if you have time, get that done. Such a big place that you need to be able to drive. Provisional licences from Ireland are not sufficient over here.

just jumped in on all these Oz discussions. some great advice here, thank you! makes things a lot easier/easier to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

Hi All, apologies for jumping into this thread! Im in an extremely similar situation to the OP here.
    Looking into going to Melbourne in November and everything seems relatively straightforward.
    Query on the farmwork - in an ideal situation I would like to get admin / sales work (4 years exp) for the first 6 months. Would this be very hard to come by early on and would I be better getting the farmwork out of the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Marcus1234

Hi guys, I'll be moving to Melbourne in two weeks any advice? On a working holiday visa too, booked into an airbnb for the first week in brunswick but have absolutely nothing planned after that

Marcus1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'll be moving to Melbourne in two weeks any advice? On a working holiday visa too, booked into an airbnb for the first week in brunswick but have absolutely nothing planned after that

Get a travel card as soon as you can if you want to use the many tram lines in Melbourne. Think it's called a mykai card, should only cost about 5/6 dollors.

Did you say before that you wanted to work in construction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Most people on the WHV seem to be doing construction work, are there other options of thats not what you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Gael23 wrote: »
    Most people on the WHV seem to be doing construction work, are there other options of thats not what you want to do?

Finance, Healthcare, Retail, Farming, Sex work or if you are desperate a Chugger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement