Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bumblebee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Love the design of him, a much cleaner, less alien look. He looks like something that transforms into a Beetle. Other than that though... meh, is this a movie they felt needed to be made? Is this like a soft reboot of the series? Set it back in an earlier time period so that 1) the Transformers are actually hidden from society, and 2) Human tech can't easily take down a Transformer.

Also, the voice over at the start with the "historic feel" echo... trying to make what was a slapstick salesman scene into something grandiose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Looks alot more interesting than all the previous ones...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bacchus wrote: »
    Love the design of him, a much cleaner, less alien look. He looks like something that transforms into a Beetle. Other than that though... meh, is this a movie they felt needed to be made? Is this like a soft reboot of the series? Set it back in an earlier time period so that 1) the Transformers are actually hidden from society, and 2) Human tech can't easily take down a Transformer.

Also, the voice over at the start with the "historic feel" echo... trying to make what was a slapstick salesman scene into something grandiose :rolleyes:

Also probably because the "present" in this franchise is an apocalyptic war zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I cant see the villain of the movie and what was up with the military suit and gun that was floating around in the air??

:pac:

The trailer is decent and it has a lot more heart in it than the all the previous transformer movies combined.

The one question I have: Is it a movie that has been asked for? It comes across as another Solo movie that no one asked for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The one question I have: Is it a movie that has been asked for? It comes across as another Solo movie that no one asked for.

That was exactly my first thought as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From the director of Kubo and the Two Strings, so this might actually be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I can see both of my kids going mad for this. The eldest (12 year old boy) loves Transformers anyway and the youngest (a 9 year old girl) loves Beetles and was dissapointed when Bumblebee was a Camaro instead of one.

Is any film asked for? Did anyone ask for the original Star Wars film or Lord of the Rings or Iron Man? If studios only made films asked for there'd be nothing but trashy comedies made b

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I cant see the villain of the movie
    I thought the jet that turned into a transformer had a bit of an old school Starscream look to it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

From the director of Kubo and the Two Strings, so this might actually be good.

That in of itself has perked my interest [*] but while the argument of redundancy is pretty valid (especially in the wake of Solo), that trailer made the film look a far more heartfelt, competent and interesting film than any of the Bay Transformers managed - though full disclosure I've only suffered through 3 of the 5.

* side bar, Kubo is a fantastic film, and will never pass up the excuse to pimp it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭fluke

That looked kind of ...fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Is any film asked for? Did anyone ask for the original Star Wars film or Lord of the Rings or Iron Man? If studios only made films asked for there'd be nothing but trashy comedies made b

That is a silly point.

The films you mentioned in your list there are brand new IP's. They started up a franchise that is well loved by many generations of people.

Solo and Bumblebee are worthless in the grand scheme of things but they're easy to produce.

They'll explore nothing we don't already know and will give very little meat to the characters origin.

Is there enough history to them? Maybe. Are they more interesting then the other SW characters? Yes.

Point is that there are characters out there that actually have a demand for an origins movie because their origins will add to the universe as a whole.

This is something that the MCU does masterfully (with some misses of course).

That is a silly point.

Is it, saying no one asked for a film is a ridiculous argument. Clearly someone did and there is demand for it otherwise they wouldn't spend hundreds of millions on these films.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This looks great a non bay transformers film and a different tone looks like , And a G1 Starscream count me in ,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This looks different. The transformers look like they are done better. It's possible this film has potential.

Slydice wrote: »
    This looks different. The transformers look like they are done better. It's possible this film has potential.

Based on the tone/style impression from trailer... maybe. Unfortunately it's going to be weighed down by the continuity monstrosity of the previous 5 Transformers movies. Would have much preferred a hard reboot of the series set in 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm interested, not sure how they'll explain why he was cowering in the corner though when he was previously described as a "loyal and brave soldier". But the old school look of both Bumblebee and Starscream have me sold.

It has an Iron Giant type vibe too, but again, rule #1 of Transformers that always gets ignored; we don't care about the human characters. This might change here if the lead doesn't pull a Shia Leboeuf and be the person who kills Starscream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭pah

Would have much preferred a hard reboot of the series set in 80s.

Eh... I thought that's what this is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a weird place to be in: regardless of they being box-office behemoths (thanks in no small part to China), the Bayformers franchise is a bit of a poisoned chalice and at this point - audiences either love or loathe 'em. I think it's fair to say a great many cinemagoers would avoid the films like the plague.

So persuading casual punters to drift into a showing of a Bumblebee spin-off could be a hard sell, unless the studio has its expectations set way down low. If not, I could foresee this being a relative 'flop' as audiences stay away from a franchise already heavily coloured. If it's actually any good, the Best Case Scenario is that the studio effectively jettisons the Bayformers continuity and ploughs ahead with this

pah wrote: »
    Eh... I thought that's what this is

Doesn't feel like it. Despite the much more appealing design of Bumblebee, it's still clearly the same Bumblebee from the Transformers movies to date.

Happy to be pointed at some comment from the producer/director/caterer to say otherwise, as a hard reboot is the only thing that would get me to go see this in cinema.

• Advertisement

Doesn't feel like it. Despite the much more appealing design of Bumblebee, it's still clearly the same Bumblebee from the Transformers movies to date.

Happy to be pointed at some comment from the producer/director/caterer to say otherwise, as a hard reboot is the only thing that would get me to go see this in cinema.

On the run in the year 1987, Bumblebee the Autobot seeks refuge in a junkyard in a small California beach town. Charlie, on the brink of turning 18 years old and trying to find her place in the world, soon discovers the battle-scarred and broken Bumblebee. When Charlie revives him, she quickly learns that this is no ordinary yellow Volkswagen.
    Director: Travis Knight Trending
    Initial release: December 21, 2018 (USA)

So, time travel then?

pah wrote: »
    On the run in the year 1987, Bumblebee the Autobot seeks refuge in a junkyard in a small California beach town. Charlie, on the brink of turning 18 years old and trying to find her place in the world, soon discovers the battle-scarred and broken Bumblebee. When Charlie revives him, she quickly learns that this is no ordinary yellow Volkswagen.
    Director: Travis Knight Trending
    Initial release: December 21, 2018 (USA)

So, time travel then?

Where are you getting time travel from? I thought it was well established that Bumblebee had been on Earth long before the events of Transformers. That synopsis doesn't suggest anything about it being a hard reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Doesn't Bay's version have him as a vintage Camaro at the start of the first film though? Seems odd that he'd change from one yellow car of a particular era to another yellow (more noticeable) car of the same era?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a weird place to be in: regardless of they being box-office behemoths (thanks in no small part to China), the Bayformers franchise is a bit of a poisoned chalice and at this point - audiences either love or loathe 'em. I think it's fair to say a great many cinemagoers would avoid the films like the plague.

So persuading casual punters to drift into a showing of a Bumblebee spin-off could be a hard sell, unless the studio has its expectations set way down low. If not, I could foresee this being a relative 'flop' as audiences stay away from a franchise already heavily coloured. If it's actually any good, the Best Case Scenario is that the studio effectively jettisons the Bayformers continuity and ploughs ahead with this

Bumblebee has often been thought of as one of the better things in the TF movies so I'd say his popularity coupled with this not being a Bay movie might entice over the casual cinema goer.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Doesn't Bay's version have him as a vintage Camaro at the start of the first film though? Seems odd that he'd change from one yellow car of a particular era to another yellow (more noticeable) car of the same era?

So? We're talking about a franchise that routinely retconned its history on a massive scale. Bumblebee being a different car at the start of Transformers set in... 2008? vs the car he is in the 80s doesn't reveal or suggest anything except that the creators of Bumblebee (the movie) actually care about the aesthetic and origin of the character. I'm still yet to see any evidence that this is a standalone hard reboot of the Transformers series. Not sure where that theory is coming from TBH.

I'd imagine they are taking a fast and loose approach to continuity similar to the X-men movies. Bay struggled to maintain continuity within a single scene, never mind over several movies. This is just another pay day for him for probably doing a few Skype calls. He's not going to be complicating his own involvement by wondering why Bumblebee isn't a Camaro.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/io9.gizmodo.com/the-completely-bananas-history-of-transformers-on-earth-1796111467/amp

Ok my bad. I checked out of the transformers movies after I turned off the third one about an hour in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i'll be honest ive been left feeling like an abuse victim after what bays done to the franchise i love so i had NO faith in this being any good.

particularly as Bee aint my favorite character in TF lore.

but i have to say hearing Knight getting the directing gig intrigued me (LOVED kubo) and that trailer has me cautiously optimistic.

particularly if that IS starscream in his G1 glory and not say ramjet or something. as one of the youtube reviewers of the trailer said "see? was it really THAT hard?" :D

so fingers crossed the smaller cast of characters combined with the lower budget means we get an ACTUAL story thats got heart in it.

like the comics and the original movie (animated) did.

TBH what im really liking is the reaction to this. theres clearly ALOT of people out there waiting for a decent TF flick. hopefully this'll be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,994 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Their trailers constantly get me. That looks great. Iron Giant feel from it.

Advertisement