Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GPA against Drug Testing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Thousands? In which sports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/sport-ireland-slammed-for-decision-to-withhold-gaa-grants-until-players-agree-to-drug-tests-at-home-36965643.html

Don't see the issue here,There are 1000's of amatuer sports people in Ireland who are subject to drug testing in Ireland and obey the "home address" rule.

Why should Inter County players be exempt?

While I don’t want to have to piss in a bottle at home I do understand why the GAA would want to be/stay drug free

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would hazard a guess that drug/PED taking is an issue in the GAA, especially in the last decade or so when the high press/super levels of fitness started to appear.

Afaik, drug testing is pretty poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Would cocaine be considered performance enhancing? Jockey Frankie Dettori was banned from riding after testing positive for it. Or are they testing for steroids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Embarrassing for the GPA, they just need to go along with this or be told to **** off and forget about any more support from the GAA for anything they do.

I doubt there is a big problem as it would be almost impossible to keep quiet , however remember this is the country of Paul Kimmage so I'm sure this thread will soon be flooded by so called drugs experts who'll tell us all there is obviously a massive problem to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dollar bill

All Athletics
    Swim Ireland
    Horse Sport Ireland
    Basketball Ireland
    Irish Athletic Boxing Association
    Cricket Ireland
    Tennis Ireland
    Badminton Ireland
    Cycling Ireland
    Hockey Ireland
    Gymnastics Ireland
    Rowing Ireland
    Motor Sport Ireland
    Triathlon Ireland
    Table Tennis Ireland
    Irish Judo Association
    Weightlifting Ireland
    Irish Tug of War Association
    Rugby League Ireland
    Irish Taekwondo Union
    Motor Cycling Ireland

List of sports that undertook drug testing last year by Irish Sports Council

Would cocaine be considered performance enhancing? Jockey Frankie Dettori was banned from riding after testing positive for it. Or are they testing for steroids?

I would guess this is the major sticking point with the GPA,Their members don't want out of season drug testing because of failure on "recreational" will result in ban

All Athletics
    Swim Ireland
    Horse Sport Ireland
    Basketball Ireland
    Irish Athletic Boxing Association
    Cricket Ireland
    Tennis Ireland
    Badminton Ireland
    Cycling Ireland
    Hockey Ireland
    Gymnastics Ireland
    Rowing Ireland
    Motor Sport Ireland
    Triathlon Ireland
    Table Tennis Ireland
    Irish Judo Association
    Weightlifting Ireland
    Irish Tug of War Association
    Rugby League Ireland
    Irish Taekwondo Union
    Motor Cycling Ireland

List of sports that undertook drug testing last year by Irish Sports Council
    I’m familiar with the list. Do you know how many of the “1000s” were tested in each sport over the last five years?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

This is laughable. I know for fact in my county team the lads do testosterone cycles and some even go with steroids such as Anavar or Winstrol. There are SARMs going about also which increase your cardio for a short time after taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I’m familiar with the list. Do you know how many of the “1000s” were tested in each sport over the last five years?
    Why do you put 1000s in quotes, it seems an accurate figure going by the list of sports and the OP clearly said 'subject to testing', not 'tested'.
    It's like you are trying to win a point that wasn't actually made.

cagefactor wrote: »
    This is laughable. I know for fact in my county team the lads do testosterone cycles and some even go with steroids such as Anavar or Winstrol. There are SARMs going about also which increase your cardio for a short time after taking.

If you know for a fact why don't you name some names?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Joe Dog wrote:
    I doubt there is a big problem as it would be almost impossible to keep quiet , however remember this is the country of Paul Kimmage so I'm sure this thread will soon be flooded by so called drugs experts who'll tell us all there is obviously a massive problem to be fixed.

As opposed to experts who tell us it's hardly a big problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Cocaine would reduce performance in most sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Have another read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

Do people really believe that GAA is the only sport in the world where PEDs are not rampant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

There's no logical argument against it. The GPA will eventually have to give in.

The only problem I have with Sport Ireland is that they shouldn't be tying it to money due from last year. It should only be related to current grants. You can't go back in time and test someone who played last year.

As opposed to experts who tell us it's hardly a big problem...

I said I doubt there is a big problem not there categorically wasn't a big problem.

Some people are obviously going to cheat that's the way life is but if it is the massive problem that the Kimmage fanboys will insist there is .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Joe Dog wrote: »
    I said I doubt there is a big problem not there categorically wasn't a big problem.

Some people are obviously going to cheat that's the way life is but if it is the massive problem that the Kimmage fanboys will insist there is .

To be fair to Kimmage. He has been right every time.

I think we need more Kimmage's who care about fair sport as opposed to typewriter fans who only want to write heroic fluff pieces.

Maybe that makes me a fanboy...
    I'm ok if it does.:D He does good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

Joe Dog wrote: »
    If you know for a fact why don't you name some names?

Why would I name names ? My opinion is let them take all the drugs they like, its not like there is a financial gain for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

cagefactor wrote: »
    Why would I name names ? My opinion is let them take all the drugs they like, its not like there is a financial gain for anyone.

Get your head out of the sand.

All those sponsored cars high profile players drive, Littlewoods modeling gigs, Supervalu & Eir ads, Red Bull promo campaigns, energy drink endoresements etc etc....all of those happen WHY exactly?

Because some young lad just got out of bed one morning and decided to start tweeting about how great they all are? Come on now !

Why do you put 1000s in quotes, it seems an accurate figure going by the list of sports and the OP clearly said 'subject to testing', not 'tested'.
    It's like you are trying to win a point that wasn't actually made.
    I put in in quotes because if we are going to have a serious debate on the subject accuracy rather than hyperbole is required. I happen to have experience of the drugs testing system in this country and it is completely inaccurate to suggest that “1000s” of amateur participants in the listed sports are subject to out of competition testing. There is a particular criteria for out of competition testing and explicit demands placed on the athletes concerned. The question is whether or not receiving a GPA grant is equivalent to funding that others receive.
    If people want to debate the subject at least stick to the facts rather than some of the nonsense that has been posted thus far

howiya wrote: »
    There's no logical argument against it. The GPA will eventually have to give in.

The only problem I have with Sport Ireland is that they shouldn't be tying it to money due from last year. It should only be related to current grants. You can't go back in time and test someone who played last year.

The logical argument against it is that they are amateurs. Their down time is their own. They fully comply with testing done during training/match time.

They do not agree to testing on their own time. They were in full compliance in 2017 so those grants should not be held back.

Peatys wrote: »
    The logical argument against it is that they are amateurs. Their down time is their own. They fully comply with testing done during training/match time.

They do not agree to testing on their own time. They were in full compliance in 2017 so those grants should not be held back.

I fully agree that they complied in 2017 and should be paid but the argument that an athlete can dope away outside of competition without consequences is baloney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Peatys wrote: »

I agree that the 2017 grant should not be held back and have said as much in the post you've quoted.

People in other sports that get tested on their own time are amateurs too. They go to work, college etc like any inter county GAA player so it's not a logical argument. Why should GAA players be treated differently?

I fully agree that they complied in 2017 and should be paid but the argument that an athlete can dope away outside of competition without consequences is baloney

Baloney is right.

howiya wrote: »
    I agree that the 2017 grant should not be held back and have said as much in the post you've quoted.

People in other sports that get tested on their own time are amateurs too. They go to work, college etc like any inter county GAA player so it's not a logical argument. Why should GAA players be treated differently?

Because the GAA lads are the ones who haven't agreed to it. Therefore, that's their argument. You may not agree with their arguement, and rightly say others do it on their own time, but to say it's not logical, is well............ illogical Captain.

Advertisement