Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic waste at Irish running events

• 31-05-2018 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭

Feature on the Radio about plastic waste in Ireland being so much higher than other parts of Europe. A large part of this is due to our frequent use of plastic bottles.

I've often noted events like Dublin City Marathon, the Womens Mini Marathon, Great Ireland Run.....and many others......the vast quantity of bottles thrown on the ground at the end of a race. Thousands of them.

I know for a marathon people need water along the way.

But do they really need it for a 10k or less? Because the amount of plastic used at these races is off the charts.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

What do you propose as an alternative? No water throughout a 10k would be unfair, there are plenty of people who need water on a 10k. 5k maybe not so much.
    Single-use plastic cups should be banned and all bottles should have a deposit. It would solve this problem over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What do you propose as an alternative? No water throughout a 10k would be unfair, there are plenty of people who need water on a 10k. 5k maybe not so much.
    Single-use plastic cups should be banned and all bottles should have a deposit. It would solve this problem over night.

If you need water for 10k maybe we should have to carry our own water.

Maybe. I would have no problem running a 10k with no water, but I am sure there are plenty who would.

Maybe. I would have no problem running a 10k with no water, but I am sure there are plenty who would.

People carry their own water for the marathon, so can't see any reason why they can't do it for 10k.

Personally I don't drink water till after 10 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Glass bottles are the only solution for the marathon. Can be safely thrown into cycles lanes once used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

IAAF rules stipulate you must provide water for 10km+. How they distribute it is up to the organizers. There is definitely scope to engineer a environmentally friendly solution - biodegradable bottles/cups?

RULE 240 - IAAF COMPETITION RULES 2008 
    Road Races Drinking/Sponging and Refreshment Stations 
    8. (a) Water and other suitable refreshments shall be available at the start and finish of all races. 
    (b) For all events up to and including 10km, drinking/sponging shall be provided at suitable intervals of approximately 2-3km if weather conditions warrant such provision. 
    (c) For all events longer than 10km, refreshment stations shall be provided at approximately every 5km. In addition, drinking/sponging stations for water only shall be placed approximately midway between the refreshment stations or more frequently if weather conditions warrant such provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Surely the organizers of these races ensure that all plastic bottles get picked up and put into a recycle bin, and not into general waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Surely the organizers of these races ensure that all plastic bottles get picked up and put into a recycle bin, and not into general waste?
    I'd say up to a point they do but a lot of the time the bins are contaminated with non-recyclable material-gel wrappers/clothing/wipes - as well as bottles. 
    Main issue I see at races is a$$holes throwing their bottles into ditches and fields where the organizers can't collect them, should be a DQ act if caught imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Did a 15 miler recently and they had big skip bags a few hundred meters from the water stations.

Seemed to capture most of the empty bottles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Huge energy cost to recycling and needs additional raw materials.

We really should be working towards not making the bottles in first place.

Attitudes are changing and this will only become a bigger issue. I'd say in a few heads, it'll be unacceptable for races to dump tens of
    Thousands of plastic bottles in the name of convenience to runners.

• Advertisement

Surely there is some sort of biodegradable cups etc they could use?
    The attitude to plastic is changing fast....I even hate the water cooler in work having single-use glasses, and I would not consider myself an eco-warrior. I think I am just becoming more conscious of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

IAAF should update their rules so it isn't a requirement, if you need water bring it yourself.
    That would result in majority of people using their normal water bottles which they aren't going to just throw away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd say up to a point they do but a lot of the time the bins are contaminated with non-recyclable material-gel wrappers/clothing/wipes - as well as bottles. 
    Main issue I see at races is a$$holes throwing their bottles into ditches and fields where the organizers can't collect them, should be a DQ act if caught imo.

I was still finding gel wrappers around the course of the Great Ireland Run 2 weeks ago.

Some people are just assholes.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I was still finding gel wrappers around the course of the Great Ireland Run 2 weeks ago.

Some people are just assholes.

Which leads to a different question, why would a person use gels for a 10k:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mandatory water packs for all. Simple as that. You would save the use of THOUSANDS of bottles over night.

But simple fact, drinks companys sponsor events so that will never ever ever ever happen.

Ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

listermint wrote: »
    Mandatory water packs for all. Simple as that. You would save the use of THOUSANDS of bottles over night.

But simple fact, drinks companys sponsor events so that will never ever ever ever happen.

Ever

Let em clean it up if they want to push it into people's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Let em clean it up if they want to push it into people's hands.

I think the point is cleaning up is not the problem. The fact is procured is the problem. We need to eliminate this waste not just clean it up.

Reusable is key,

will it happen, probably only when industry is forced to from Legislation or EU directive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Last Sunday I ran the Newry Half Marathon and saw a guy throw a water bottle into the Carlingford Lough. Absolute prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,547 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone who can't run 10 k without water shouldn't be running 10k...

KJ wrote: »
    Last Sunday I ran the Newry Half Marathon and saw a guy throw a water bottle into the Carlingford Lough. Absolute prick.

Did you say anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Did you say anything?

I did but he had earphones in and didn't turn around.

I did but he had earphones in and didn't turn around.

Fair play. You tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Every year there are guys (ALWAYS guys) that throw water bottles over fences into people's gardens during DCM.

The utter arseholness of such behaviour is impossible to overstate.

However, in the grand scheme of things the amount of water bottles used in races in this country is utterly insignificant compared to the amount of water bottles consumed in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

The vast majority of the marathons I’ve run abroad give out the water in paper cups. Couple of sips and throw the rest over your head. The running public in Ireland consistently complain when water is not provided in bottles. DCM is ridiculous with the 500ml bottles that are given out, it really bugs me accepting a huge bottle only to have to empty most of it and then look for a bin.

Agree totally about the a holes who fling bottles into gardens, but they simply shouldn’t be provided in the first place. I’m sure people could eventually learn how to drink from a cup. Heaven forbid anyone should spill some on themselves or have to slow down to drink some water. The horror!

People who throw into gardens/lakes are scum. End of.

But it is impossible to drink out of a cup, and the water bottle can be carried for a while too. To be fair, the DCM give 250ml bottles if I remember correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Most Foreign Marathons I have ran will only have bottles in the first or second station. Cups thereafter. 500ml bootles are often cheaper the smaller sized bottles especially in the quantities the larger city marathons would require. However half full bottles on the road around the water station is a major trip hazard for runners especially when they are tired in the later stages of a marathon.

Races have to give water in bottles here because runners complain if they dont get it that way. Race organisers are just suppling the demand so if people have an issue with it we need to educate the general public that you don't need water in a bottle or for a 10K (only in the unusual warm weather which is most welcome but all too rare in Ireland)

Paper Cups probably cause as much waste especially as we now find out that they cannot be recycled. Also bottled water carries 23% VAT here because it is a plastic bottle but this doesnt seem to reduce our consumption of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

People who throw into gardens/lakes are scum. End of.

But it is impossible to drink out of a cup, and the water bottle can be carried for a while too. To be fair, the DCM give 250ml bottles if I remember correctly?

Ok, I’m thinking of the lucozade bottles possibly. But seriously, impossible to drink water out of a cup? I really can’t comprehend that attitude. Slow down or stop for 5 seconds if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Maybe people should carry their Donore Jingle Bells 5k mug with them and refill from drinking troughs at the side of the road,can be used for many races :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Every year there are guys (ALWAYS guys) that throw water bottles over fences into people's gardens during DCM.

The utter arseholness of such behaviour is impossible to overstate.

However, in the grand scheme of things the amount of water bottles used in races in this country is utterly insignificant compared to the amount of water bottles consumed in total.

Not running related, but closely related to this, next time you are on the train going from Connolly towards Drumcondra, look out the left hand window, and notice the amount of filth local residents throw over the walls of their back garden into that deadzone between their garden and the train tracks. Humans, as a species, really are disgusting when you think about it.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not running related, but closely related to this, next time you are on the train going from Connolly towards Drumcondra, look out the left hand window, and notice the amount of filth local residents throw over the walls of their back garden into that deadzone between their garden and the train tracks. Humans, as a species, really are disgusting when you think about it.

Yeah, and they will be the first people complaining of a problem with rats....throw stuff over a fence beside a canal, Einstein material.
    Ok, I’m thinking of the lucozade bottles possibly. But seriously, impossible to drink water out of a cup? I really can’t comprehend that attitude. Slow down or stop for 5 seconds if you need to.

When I have done marathons, etc I have always found I drink the water over a mile or two after the water station. Hard to balance a cup for that length, or have enough water...

Advertisement