Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum stats online?

Options
  • 27-05-2018 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Any place we can see polling station results for referendum on Friday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Mr_Man2121

vicwatson wrote: »
    Any place we can see polling station results for referendum on Friday?

No that I know of, here's a list of all the constituency results tho.

https://electionsireland.org/results/referendum/refresult.cfm?ref=201836R

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was wondering about this myself. Haven't found anything online but it must exist somewhere. Heard journalists talking about individual polling station results various times yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've seen various tallies for individual polling stations around twitter but not many and not in any organised fashion. Haven't managed to find anywhere that has them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They definitely do them for general elections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

B0jangles wrote: »

Surely have them for all stations if they exist for Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Was asked this today, also. When the boxes are emptied, they are sorted and then counted. Then placed in bundles of 100 Yes, 100 No. At that stage they are certainly lost to the individual polling station.
    So its tallies done by observers as they are counted that give the figures for each box, TMK. This is not from the count staff or Returning Officer but from the observers of the Repeal or Love Both.
    They might have a tally if you have any contact with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Not sure f this is the right place for this but was wondering about what information your ballot paper has on you when the stat people come to crunch the numbers? Does it tell you the street you live on? Your gender? What else?

Ballot paper has no identification, except the stamp used by the Presiding Officer which links it to the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Water John wrote:
    Ballot paper has no identification, except the stamp used by the Presiding Officer which links it to the box.

Yes ok.
    I wonder would it be useful to statisticians and indeed politicians to know the gender, for example, of the votes? That would not compromise privacy.

• Advertisement

The privacy of the Ballot Box is primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yes ok.
    I wonder would it be useful to statisticians and indeed politicians to know the gender, for example, of the votes? That would not compromise privacy.
    Pink ballot papers for girl voters, blue for boy voters? ;)

Seriously, there can be no link between the individual ballot paper and the individual voter. The Supreme Court ruled such links unconstitutional back in 1972. And if you you can't link a particular ballot paper with a particular voter then obviously it's impossible to say whether the voter who case the ballot was male or female.

It would indeed be useful for analysts to know how the vote broke down along gender lines, and probably along age and other lines, but they cannot get that information from the ballots themselves, because it isn't there. But they have opinion polls, surveys, etc for that.

Advertisement