Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardkeen, Lidl carpark scam artist

• 24-05-2018 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Just a warning about a likely scam , fella looking for diesel and he'll send the money when he gets home. Ginger in his late 20s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭gifted

Not Ed Sheeran by any chance???....lol lol

I'll get my coat......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

What like syphon it from your car?

If they're just asking for money for diesel, then it's the same as another begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

gifted wrote: »

I'll get my coat......

You should. It was a terrible joke. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I had a similar situation, woman asked me in a car park for €30 for diesel and said that she lived locally and if I gave her my address she would drop it up to me later that evening.

I said no problem, leave me your phone as collateral and you can collect it when you drop me back the cash.

She must not have been that stuck, as surprisingly she did not take me up on my offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This happened to me in Finglas in Dublin last week. It seems to be the new "I'm stuck and need money for the bus to get home".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It was the way he offered his hand to shake through the open window as he began his story that actually put me on alert. People in real bother are not that slick and they look agitated, this fella didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Travellers? Was stopped in the Woodies car park and a couple of weeks later in the Superquin car park by the same fella last year giving me this spiel.
    Both times I told him he should've pulled into a petrol station instead of a supermarket car park, he grunted something at me and walked off.
    I think the good weather brings this shower out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Actually he didn't strike me as that - no mention of "Boss" and such like language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

There was a guy on Michael Street a few years ago looking for €30 for diesel but I told him I only carried €50's. Probably the same guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Has that Roma beggar woman who been sitting on the wall for 10+ years retired then? Or do they share the spoils?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Travellers? Was stopped in the Woodies car park and a couple of weeks later in the Superquin car park by the same fella last year giving me this spiel.
    Both times I told him he should've pulled into a petrol station instead of a supermarket car park, he grunted something at me and walked off.
    I think the good weather brings this shower out.
    One time in butlerstown retail park carpark i was kiling time and noticed an avensis (newer and better car than what I had) going to each car that had someone in it. Came to me and asked for diesel money to get home to Kilkenny. Had none for the poor fella. I checked out the car's tax and nct situation, was fully compliant / again in better shape than I. Maybe that's why he had nothing left for diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

One time in butlerstown retail park carpark i was kiling time and noticed an avensis (newer and better car than what I had) going to each car that had someone in it. Came to me and asked for diesel money to get home to Kilkenny. Had none for the poor fella. I checked out the car's tax and nct situation, was fully compliant / again in better shape than I. Maybe that's why he had nothing left for diesel.

Silver/grey avensis? If so, well known chap, the gardai knew him well to, can be fairly aggressive, seems to have disappeared from the town. No harm in contacting the gardai when coming across these folks

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

This fella is well known. He had a white car before that one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Saw this the other day and it reminded me of this thread.

Even says, Give me your address and I'll send it to you, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wheety wrote:
    Saw this the other day and it reminded me of this thread.

Great film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Has that Roma beggar woman who been sitting on the wall for 10+ years retired then? Or do they share the spoils?

She's back!

In Waterford for festive season pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Title should read junkie

He hardly has the brain capacity to be a scam artist in all fairness

That’s the best one I’ve heard yet ‘buy me petrol and I’ll send you the money’ what an absolute tool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

A young woman came into where I worked on Michael street one night claiming she had lost her purse and needed money for a taxi home. She ‘worked in the hairdressers on the same street’ apparently. You and I both know there’s no hairdressers on Michael street.

My boss asked her to stay here for an hour and he’d give her a lift home if she was that desperate, she declined. (Red flag!)

Anyways with lots of tutting and rolling of the eyes from me, my boss actually handed her €25 out of the till! Thinking she’d be back in the morning as she claimed.

Surprise surprise, we never seen her again. The next time I seen her she came into the shop asking for half price food because she ‘knew’ the owner. She knew him alright, the poor fella she robbed €25 off of.

Advertisement