Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for apartment hunting

Options
  • 17-05-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Any tips for getting a place and tip not being "look elsewhere"? ;)

Looking to relocate to W from Dublin. I've called a few agencies after spotting some decent apartments and practically got hung up on both. I have 2 references from current and previous landlord, and a reference from employer. What exactly does a person have to do nowadays to secure a place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

Looking to relocate to W from Dublin. I've called a few agencies after spotting some decent apartments and practically got hung up on both. I have 2 references from current and previous landlord, and a reference from employer. What exactly does a person have to do nowadays to secure a place?

The way the market is at the minute its basically get to any viewings as quick as possible. Once a property comes available you need to see it asap. This is where email alerts from the usual websites help.
    Have all your paperwork ready to go also as they want things to move as quick as possible.
    And as much as it disappoints me to say having no pets tends to make things easier.
    Best of luck in your search!

Edit: also the length of your references help, the longer you were in a property the more you help yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

I'd suggest not limiting yourself to apartments. Apartment rates have gone up so much that the differential between that and say a 2 bed house (when it can be found) isn't much. A quality apartment is relatively hard to find as many were cheaply done to avail of section 23 and 50. Alot of the management companies are also short on cash to maintain, as many of the owners were boom time investors. Had you a budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

BamesJond wrote: »
    The way the market is at the minute its basically get to any viewings as quick as possible. Once a property comes available you need to see it asap. This is where email alerts from the usual websites help.
    Have all your paperwork ready to go also as they want things to move as quick as possible.
    And as much as it disappoints me to say having no pets tends to make things easier.
    Best of luck in your search!

Edit: also the length of your references help, the longer you were in a property the more you help yourself.

That's great, thank you. Yeah, the pets thing is awful. I'm looking at DSPCA and other shelters and I'm wondering who manages to adopt these animals unless they own their place.
    thomas01 wrote:
    I'd suggest not limiting yourself to apartments. Apartment rates have gone up so much that the differential between that and say a 2 bed house (when it can be found) isn't much. A quality apartment is relatively hard to find as many were cheaply done to avail of section 23 and 50. Alot of the management companies are also short on cash to maintain, as many of the owners were boom time investors. Had you a budget in mind?

I've noticed that, looking into houses as well. Sorry, what are section 23 and 50? Budget's around 800€ (also there's two of us).

Do you think it's harder to get a place In Waterford if looking from Dublin? Obviously it's a bit of a hassle for me as I have to travel back and forth to view the places, but I don't know if it makes much of a difference to landlords/agencies. My boyfriend is convinced that'll put us on the bottom of someone's pile, seeing we're not currently based in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

If you’re having no luck you could always look for a short term let for a few months which would allow you suss things out as regards areas etc.

No harm in keeping abreast of what’s available on that front.

Advertisement