Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pompeo announces 12 demands for Iran

Options
  • 21-05-2018 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭

They really trying to hurt Iran this 12 demands can never be met.

•Close heavy water reactors
    •Allow IAEA inspectors everywhere
    •End ballistic missile
    •Release US citizens
    •End support to Hezbollah, Hamas, IJ, Houthis, Taliban (5 demands)
    •Iran must withdraw from Syria
    •Iran must support Iraq Gov, disarm Shia militias

He promised that the US would impose the "strongest sanctions in history" if Iran failed to comply with these demands.

Iran could pull out of the deal there no point staying in a deal when the US is trying it's best to destroy the economy of Iran. Will Europe stick up for Iran?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I don't think Europe should stick up for Iran but instead just ignore the US and continue as was. Trump needs to feel the effects of his ridiculous policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don't think Europe should stick up for Iran but instead just ignore the US and continue as was. Trump needs to feel the effects of his ridiculous policies.

I think the Iranians have said they're not interested in staying in the deal if it's Europe only

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think the Iranians have said they're not interested in staying in the deal if it's Europe only

Their loss really. If they aren't in the deal with Europe they'll be open to a lot more hostile acts. Although i thought they had said the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Their loss really. If they aren't in the deal with Europe they'll be open to a lot more hostile acts. Although i thought they had said the opposite.

Yeah, sorry, I misinterpreted a headline. I agree Europe should remain firm here

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

except for closing the reactors that all looks pretty fair, they should take the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Absurd demands, that they know Iran won't agree to, especially after the US already broke one deal. You build on trust, not on distrust as the Americans are trying to do. The US are itching for a war with Iran, for some utterly insane reason. The US is perhaps the biggest force to destabilize to region right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Only a few countries are permitted to have nukes and are allowed to destabilize and invade other countries without repercussions, Iran should know this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

How can anyone trust the US in an international deal, since they can just withdraw from the deal and demand it negotiated..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,810 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wes wrote: »
    Absurd demands, that they know Iran won't agree to, especially after the US already broke one deal. You build on trust, not on distrust as the Americans are trying to do. The US are itching for a war with Iran, for some utterly insane reason. The US is perhaps the biggest force to destabilize to region right now.

Because it plays well with the base. No other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Pointless aggressive move by the US, undoes years of hard work

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    ...undoes years of hard work

The Trump administration summarised in five words.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The Trump administration summarised in five words.
    But Hillary the Warmonger...

Seriously though; looking at that list I find it funny they included the Taliban who's primary source of funding & ideology is sponsored by the Saudis. Secondly asking to support Iraq whom they had a war with and who's religious population who're aligned with is suppressed is, interesting... I wonder how a Texan bible thumping gun hoot would like the idea of a demand to support publicly funded, available 24/7 and in every town with more than 50 people abortion centers while teaching sex ed about it in schools and total ban of guns oh and every court is to start with using the Koran instead of a bible for swearing people in would feel. And that's not even coming close to what they are asking of Iran there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the counter demands to Europe have come in and honestly by comparison quite reasonable from what I was expecting:
    Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has warned that the country will restart its nuclear programme unless European powers meet a new list of demands in the wake of the US’ withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear agreement.
    1. UK, France and Germany must continue to buy Iranian crude oil (not an issue)
    2. Protect Iran’s markets and banking system (trickier but doable through money sent to Iran central bank which is not blocked by the US etc.)
    3. The three European countries agreeing not to interfere with Iran’s non-nuclear weapons programmes (non issue for Europe since they are not invading)
    4. Not to interfere in activities and involvement in conflicts across the Middle East (this one is probably the trickiest one; I could see some muddling in the language here)
    My comments in brackets and the text from the article. The above overall don't feel as an impossible barrier to cross; yes Trump will huff and puff about it but he'll be gone sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Pointless aggressive move by the US, undoes years of hard work

Israel and Saudi Arabia is the problem. They did not like the deal so the lobbied hard to break it.

Advertisement