Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo's Facebook Q&A on the referendum

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the US president likes to announce new policy via Twitter so posting things on Facebook is down right old school at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He's not running the country via Facebook. And thoughts of the leader shouldn't really be relevant to a constitutional change anyway, it's the people's decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

He will be interviewed on RTE also. I dont think th Taoiseach should debate the issue, especially when none of the party leaders in Dail Eireann oppose the referendum.

The Min for Health- who brought forward the referendum is debating it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Will only appeal to a certain audience.
    Bingo.

There's also matters of balance and optics, which Facebook is not bound to. If he goes on any broadcaster, there is going to be a adversarial aspect to it. It may even be a debate.

Then it turns into a debate that has little to do with the referendum and instead becomes point-scoring against the Taoiseach. And if enough points are scored, it can sour the mood and harm a Yes campaign.

On Facebook they will sanitise and cherry pick the questions to give the best sounding answers.

You'll notice that no high-level politicians are getting involved in any kind of debate format. It's simple soundbites, at most. This is what they do for all referendums. They know that if politician X gets involved, then there will always be a cohort who think he's a bollox and will vote the other way just to spite him. So they try to steer clear.

It's unconventional, sure. Kenny basically went to ground during the marriage equality referendum, so this is something of a step up I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hurrache wrote: »
    . And thoughts of the leader shouldn't really be relevant to a constitutional change anyway, it's the people's decision.

You could say the same thing about the Russians on Facebook and the American election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

The indo is getting great value out of me this morning, I wonder is she referring to Leo here even though he's to old to be a snowflake https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/abortion-referendum/snowflake-debate-is-no-good-we-all-need-to-grow-up-and-speak-openly-about-the-abortion-referendum-36919896.html
    Didn't even know there was a Twitter shield. It's exactly what leo is doing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I find this very odd that Leo will go on Facebook and not TV, it just doesn't seem like a proper way to conduct himself in the run up to a referendum.

Well considering the absolute car crash of an effort on the Claire Byrne show I don't think it's such a bad thing.

I enjoyed the Claire Byrne show it was proper Jerry Springer style. It is an emotive subject so I do expect it to be highly fueled debate. The slot on prime time last night was pathetic with the 2 panelists. It made for crap TV in comparison.
    There's no fear Maria will be on the next prime time if Harris is appearing I'd say she's now banned from any more TV debates which brings us back to the snowflakes, leo on Facebook and the Twitter shield it's all stifling debate. Leo is using Facebook as a safe space.

I'd much prefer if he done a ama here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The reasons for never having a Facebook account just keep increasing! I'm bored of this referendum now, just let the people decide

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The reasons for never having a Facebook account just keep increasing! I'm bored of this referendum now, just let the people decide

Euthenasia referendum is next if the papers are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i do think we really need to start properly talking about this topic, and you maybe right

Or just have one big referendum on should we be allowed to do what we want to do as long as it's not harming anyone else.

Assisted suicide wouldn't require a referendum. And it would be a stupid idea to call one, "just because".

seamus wrote: »
    Assisted suicide wouldn't require a referendum. And it would be a stupid idea to call one, "just because".

They'd probably have to have one, that's a big can of worms. For example if you can have an abortion on mental health grounds why can't you have a suicide.

You only have to have a referendum to amend the constitution.

Holding a referendum just because a question is difficult, is a terrible idea. IMHO, of course.

Assisted suicide is arguably less complicated than abortion. People can already commit suicide "on mental health grounds", and it's not illegal. The main debate is about people who are compos mentis but incapable of physically doing it.

Any road, it's a different thread ;)

Yea we'll leave that one until the time comes.

I thought suicide was illegal though?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hurrache wrote: »
    He's not running the country via Facebook.
    He is not running the country via TV either!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yea we'll leave that one until the time comes.

We should jail al the offenders!

• Advertisement

No, it hasn't been for a number of years.

It's illegal to aid, abet or counsel someone who is planning on committing suicide though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think it's a given that when politicians or other reality stars post on social media, it's their view. Especially when chiming in on an upcoming referendum.
    With the past and present records of our governments and politicians, posting on social media is the least we need concern ourselves with regarding the reputation of the office.
    Good to see him take a view and explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I enjoyed the Claire Byrne show it was proper Jerry Springer style. It is an emotive subject so I do expect it to be highly fueled debate. The slot on prime time last night was pathetic with the 2 panelists. It made for crap TV in comparison.
    There's no fear Maria will be on the next prime time if Harris is appearing I'd say she's now banned from any more TV debates which brings us back to the snowflakes, leo on Facebook and the Twitter shield it's all stifling debate. Leo is using Facebook as a safe space.

I'd much prefer if he done a ama here.

Most pro-lifers I know enjoyed the Claire Byrne show.

To me, it confirmed their lack of empathy with real people.

The pro-lifers in the audience were a disgrace, whooping and hollering as if it was a football match they were at. I was horrified.

They were both at it. I couldn't tell which was louder at the start. Different thread.

Advertisement